Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Optimus F3 - Moving Apps to SD

Ok, I'm going to try to be as specific as possible as I've done a full loop around the web twice and get nowhere. I have a Optimus F# for Virgin Mobile with around 500 MB left of Internal storage. I have a 8 GB SD card I want to move all the DL apps to. I already know about all the apps that can perform that... they aren't working. My phone has been rooted successfully also. Does anyone know of any other backdoor way to do this or know if it's actually a dead end. Annoying! Help!

wasteoftime666 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Optimus F3 - Moving Apps to SD

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Leiva View Post
    Ok, I'm going to try to be as specific as possible as I've done a full loop around the web twice and get nowhere. I have a Optimus F# for Virgin Mobile with around 500 MB left of Internal storage. I have a 8 GB SD card I want to move all the DL apps to. I already know about all the apps that can perform that... they aren't working. My phone has been rooted successfully also. Does anyone know of any other backdoor way to do this or know if it's actually a dead end. Annoying! Help!

Part of the issue is the app developers need to support the apps to SD card feature. If they don't nothing will move.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

I haven't tried this but I've read that link2SD, a free app, can do this. You need a blank SD card I think and a partitioning app so that there's two partitions on the external memory. I have the same phone btw. I'm just too lazy to try it lately. Maybe tomorrow. :-) best of luck!

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ha! Did you ever stop being lazy and try? Just reading this now.

Nope. I'm tight on space so I should do it. I could use the use of a few more apps. Maybe tomorrow. Hehe

I linked sd successfully on a partitioned 32GB sd card. If you click the move to SD card button it will say your device is not supported, but don't worry you can hit create link button and it will do the same thing. My only concern with the SD card is frequently reading and writing to it usually shortens the life of the SD card. Oh well memory is cheap LOL!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yep, I ended up using AParted with Busy Box installed to partition and Link2SD to move. Works great.

I created a 12gb partition and I'm installing plenty now. Both are primary and fat 32. I've got a 32 gig card as well. It was worth it! I had ago little room before.

Bought this phone (LG Optimus F3 LS720) a month ago and followed instructions, from the video posted below in order to transfer apps to sdcard but nothing works. I rooted the phone successfully but Aparted won't allow partition claiming that the sdcard is busy. I've reformated card on computer before inserting back into phone but that doesn't help either.

Is my phone too new? Motochopper doesn't list the F3 and wondered if that might be part of the problem as the code may not be relevant to this particular model. Should I try another partition app? Ok, I'll try another app but don't think it will make a difference.

This is the easiest and easy to follow video even though it didn't work for me.
    Richard Sewell1 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

This happened to me to. Make sure Busy Box is installed too. Try clearing data on the AParted app then uninstall. Reinstall. Something about doing this worked for me. Apps are weird sometimes. Nothing to do with motochopper.

Unfortunately, that didn't help either. I am a sad camper.

I downloaded a partition magic type app for Windows on my laptop. That's how I partitioned it. Set both partitions to primary and FAT32. I used Motochopper to root mine so it should work. Lemme know if that worked. Oh to partition on the phone you might have to unmount the memory card. In my Linux days I could only partition unmounted drives.

Oh I meant I did a search on download.com for partition magic but it came up with another free one. The first hit I used and it worked great.

Making the second partition FAT32 allowed me to link the apps. It's allgood after all.
    Last edited by Gulley Jimson; 12-13-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Awesome! Glad I could help some.

Just got a Optimus F3 (Virgin Mobile) as a temp for a few months and was very disappointed with it's lack of internal space AND lack of support for easily shifting apps to the "external" SD card. I hunted around found a bunch of stuff that didn't work and finally hit on the links below which are a video and text version of instructions for creating an app partition and then moving things to it using Link2SD.

That turned out to be the same video that someone else linked so I'll just leave the link to the text instructions which were easier for me to follow.
    Thanked by 2:
    wasteoftime666 likes this.

Way cool! Now people will be able to use their F3s the way they're meant to be used, for sure.

This adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Part of the issue is the app developers need to support the apps to SD card feature. If they don't nothing will move.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Global Posts
    13,877 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Welcome to the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by agentelrond View Post
    This adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.
    How so?
    Go back and look at the quote, then the reply.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

I don't think it's the developers. It's the OS starting with jelly bean. Ice cream sandwich didn't have this issue. You can move some of the same apps to SD card in Android 4.0 but not 4.1 and higher. It's something to do with stability and security I think.

thanks for helping me out guys. Had to waste some time registering so i could follow your helpful links; might as well say thanks before i never log in again, ever.
    Thanked by:
    Aaron McCormick likes this.

Ok, I know Im a bit late with this reply, but maybe I can help someone else having this issue. I had same issue, I have optimus f6. I selected this phone knowing that it had only about 1.5 gig of internal memory, thinking I will just throw a 32 gig micro SD card in it and call it a day. THINK AGAIN!! I ended up rooting the phone, not an easy task, as LG and T-mobile have went out of there way to make rooting this phone a nightmare. Then once rooted, still could not use any of the bootleg apps to move apps to the SD Card. WTF? Its my phone I should be able to do with it as I please. Long story short, I had my brother in law (IT guy) look at it, he figured out a way to make the phone think that the mico sd card was the internal memory, fixing my storage nightmare.
    If you like apps, dont buy this phone, unless you are good with hacking these devices!

Could you share how to make the micro sd card the internal memory? It would be greatly appreciated.

I just did this like an hour ago. Watch the video that was shown above ( ), it is very helpful and a little entertaining, if you are already rooted you can go right to the partition section starting at about the 8:50 mark.

Everything worked flawlessly for me. I used Saferoot instead of the one they use here though. Just be sure to transfer anything off your SD card that you want to keep before you start.

That's the video I posted... and it worked for me as well after a couple of tweaks but, one does not move apps to the sd card, merely links the apps to it. It would be most excellent to actually move the apps as opposed to just linking them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast