recent Virgin Mobile OTA update

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I kinda went through it in a hurry but I think the 132mb update to my F3 failed because I was still rooted when I agreed to do it. Anyone get the update successfully? How can you tell if it worked? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

OptimusJB

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Installed the update on my wife's non-rooted phone and it killed the cell radio. Wifi still worked but no connection at all to the cell network. VM is sending a new phone. Looking to root this one and install a recovery so I can back this one up. Have you tried a recovery on F3 yet?

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I'll have to search for that ROM stuff. I tried to update after unrooting my phone and it failed and wiped my internal memory and reset my phone. I had to root it again and reinstall apps. I'm not going to install that update though. I don't want it to brick my phone.

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I bought the chain fire super user so I'm going to figure out the survive the OTA mode. I dunno if it'll work though. I think I turned some system apps into user apps like Google books and newsstand a while ago. I can't remember if I used titanium backup but there might be issues with that. These two system apps are now movable to the memory card and I put them there. Doh!

OptimusJB

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I was able to root and use link2sd to move some apps to the sdcard. Doesn't look like there is a custom recovery for the f3 though. Next I'm trying to get the update notification disabled. Don't want to risk another update. What system apps have you moved?

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I moved the Google books and Google newsstand to memory card. I deleted the virgin mobile/Sprint theme thing. Forgot the name. Now the update won't take. If you figure out how to make it go away that'd be great. It keeps bugging me to update. Too bad there's no rom for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae