Why have my app icons disappeared after powering down?

Jeremy Wilson9

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
App Icons Disappear After Power Down

Strange thing going on with my LG Optimus Fuel. If the phone powers off, either because I turn it off or because it runs out of battery, upon turning it back on, I find that any apps I have moved over to my SD card disappear from the menus. I can still access these apps from the "Apps" icon, but it's getting really annoying having to re-drag the apps back onto the main screens every time my phone powers down. Any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: App Icons Disappear After Power Down

Yup, it's the SD card.

When your phone boots up, the SD card is not mounted. Only after it re-boots the mounting begins, which causes widgets and shortcuts for these apps to disappear since, at boot, they're really not where your phone is looking for them.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: App Icons Disappear After Power Down

The way you are saying this is a little confusing, because you're saying that they are disappearing but you can use the icon to add them back. I just want to try to understand what is going on. When the device powers down for any reason app icons you have on your homescreen disappear and you have to add them back manually from your app drawer or via your Personalize function? I seen something like this before it involved items in a folder but I think the principal is the same. Have you ever waited to see if they show up on their own? What I encountered was icons were not showing up on my homescreen or in some of my folders, for several minute sometimes, and it turns out those items were items that I had moved to my SD. The phone was loading all of the readily available items form it's internal memory but accessing the external memory seem to be taking a bit longer. The two things I did for this, which only help slightly but noticeably, were turn off "fastboot", and take some of the burden off of my memory by deleting caches for apps like FB and email, and reducing the number of SMS and MMS messages I was holding onto. Turning off fast boot will only start the apps that are needed to run your device upon start up and thus giving more resources to the OS so it can do things like populate your homescreen. Clearing your caches and reducing your texts, frees up a bit more of your memory resource. I hope this helps.

On a side note, you should try not to allow your device to turn off by its self due to low battery. This practice is not good for your device, and I wonder if it may not be somewhat contributing to this problem. It basically comes down to an improper shutdown similar to what happens when you press and hold the power button on a laptop or pc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown