Custom/Modded Reiko Case for LG Optimus V with Extended Battery

MyDesignerGuy.com

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I spent a great deal of time looking for a case that would fit my LG Optimus with a newly installed extended battery. Very few of the universal cases I found did anything for me. I then started to look for cases that fit other phones. To complicate things further, I wanted something that with construction styling.

The first one to come in the mail came from Amazon for $2.93 plus shipping.

51ktACMskpL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rugged Heavy Duty Nylon Canvas Protective Cell Phone Case Pouch (with belt clip) for HTC Evo/HD2/Inspire/Thunderbolt
by Reiko

Put the phone in and "Oh noooooooooze!" Too big.

HPIM2022.jpg

The width and depth are perfect! But the height is too high. After some brain storming, I determined that this was a blessing in disguise. So off to our local Jo-Ann Fabrics to get the materials I needed to modify the case:

HPIM2028.jpg

Jean Rivets, and Eyelet kit.

The object? To modify the case to fit the phone in a way that looked as close to factory as I could and add another level of functionality not found on any other case.

Per the simple instructions on the packaging, I installed two rivets...

HPIM2029.jpg

Not perfect, but close enough for someone who has never done this before and was excited about getting it done.

Next came the eyelet. I drilled the material with a small drill and worked my way up. One thing that I didn't consider was that I should have drilled in REVERSE. The dill bit will catch the material and really bugger things up.

Once the hole was the size I wanted it, I inserted a punch and used a lighter to remove fuzz around the hole as well as giving it a nice clean finish for the eyelet (or grommet) to fit through. Using the tool supplied in the kit, it was an easy install...

HPIM2032.jpg

Problem solved, unique case created, and I have a way to put the phone out of harms way when working in the shop (glorified garage with lots of tools!)

HPIM2035.jpg

The clip on this works great, and the extra at the top of the phone case is flexible and not uncomfortable in the least. Hope this inspires someone else to use a little creativity with their phone case. :D

Reactions: Vishwar and Eollie

sheldsteve

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Custom/Modded Reiko Case for LG Optimus V with Extended Batte

Looks awesome. I've spent the last 2-3 hours looking at cases online.

jmiked

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Custom/Modded Reiko Case for LG Optimus V with Extended Batte

Here's a case I found a few weeks ago. The Optimus with the 3500 mAh battery I bought fits very nicely.

41eCd6rZUZL._AA300_.jpg

It has a clip on the back as well as two belt loops.