Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: [HOW TO] Root the LG Revolution

so ive tried many different methods.. none have worked. ive had different outcomes to each..
    but it has all resulted in an unrooted LG Revolution the device will remain "offline"
    ive installed all the drivers. and nothing seems to work, and now im just stuck.

^^ No one has rooted the LG Revolution with the 2.2.2 updates installed. The ADB and SuperOneClick methods do not work. The ADB method cannot get the shell to display a # sign --

Don't waste your time trying to get these to work -- they don't. Just wait until someone comes up with a 2.2.2 root solution.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by chrishhh View Post
    ^^ No one has rooted the LG Revolution with the 2.2.2 updates installed. The ADB and SuperOneClick methods do not work. The ADB method cannot get the shell to display a # sign --

Don't waste your time trying to get these to work -- they don't. Just wait until someone comes up with a 2.2.2 root solution.
    that helps quite a bit.. thanks^^
    but is there any way to downgrade the software? i did a factory reset and that just reinstalled the update as soon as it booted..

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrap63 View Post
    You probably have the recent software update applied. To verify, check under About Phone in the settings menu. Look for SW Version, if it says VS910ZV6, then you have the update and rooting won't work with S1C or ADB at this time.

The guys over at xda are working on it but to my knowledge there is no root with the update yet. However, there is a downgrade procedure to get you to the ZV4 software. If you're brave, you can try this:

Me? I'm waiting on a seemingly mythical 2.3 update.
    i tried this.. got me no where.. =/

I did try toggling the Debug mode. that seemed to have gotten me to another step.
    it says its shell rooted. but when i go to full root, it gives me a "string" error.
    Last edited by dj blue31; 09-24-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Any idea when it will be available? I really want to root my Revolution
    thatdudeyouknow likes this.

I have SW Version VS910ZV7, am I able to root my phone with this?

ROM
    Kernel Ver. 2.6.32.9-perf

I'm getting a warning on my PC when I'm downloading the "rageagainsthecage'' file and Windows recommends not to down load this file and kicks it out.

This is the warning coming up- ''Exploit:Unix/Lotoor'' ''Alert Level--Severe''

Is this a normal warning should I disregard this warning and download it anyways. I just had to reformat my drive and reload all programs because my PC got infected with something and it's a pain in the **** when this happens and I don't want to do it again.

Is there a different source to get a clean copy of this file?
    Last edited by killarshark; 11-23-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Dose this work on the Lg Revolution 2 (vs910) ???

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

AFAIK, the LG Revolution 2 has not been released.
    Also, the forum that you are posting in is entirely about the LG Revolution VS910, which is the 1st gen LG Revo. Yes, this exploit works for it.

i appreciate your post & files...consider me brand new at this

where can i download the rageagainstthecage binary?? the links that are posted everywhere are not working.

Can someone plaese help me do this! I have no clue how, i have been reading and reading, and none of this makes sense or is working. I am really afraid of bricking ym phone because of my own stupidity and i do not want this to happen. I have no experience of doing this and all of these terms are so confusing. i have a mac with lion and a windows pc with vista (better with the mac). Please help. My email is

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamest91 View Post
    where can i download the rageagainstthecage binary?? the links that are posted everywhere are not working.
    Rageagainstthecage does not work on firmware V6, V7.. you need zergrush.

<--- all in one click for V7 firmware from mtmichaelson

If you want to keep root from V7 firmware into the OTA V8 then try this..

Cool Re: Please Root the LG Revolution on 2.3.6,

I just get comfortable and settled in and they sneak an update through on my LG Revo. grrrr. Please specially gifted ones, build a solution for 2.3.6. I don't want to be continually going back to an old v7. Let's go v8. Please, pretty please.

Default Re: Alternate rooting method that worked for me!

No luck. After ./data/tools/rage the phone must be rebooted to re-establish a connection from the computer, then the mount command fails with "operation not permitted". Attempt to run /data/local/temp/su returns "permission denied".

Verified permisisons on all pushed files. Any ideas?

Default Re: Alternate rooting method that worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zennmaster View Post
    Following the method in the OP achieved root for me, but would not persist through a reboot. Here is a revised procedure that seems to be working great!

Just like the original method, get ADB working (I'm using Linux, BTW, so I can't really help with Windows issues).

Make sure you have "Internet Connection" selected as your USB connection mode, and USB Debugging selected in Menu -> Applications -> Development (as previously discussed, USB debugging will remain greyed out until Internet Connection is selected).

Grab SU and Rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, linked in the OP, and busybox, which I have attached below.

Place all three files in a convenient location for pushing with adb (your /[Path-To-SDK]/platform-tools directory would be a great idea)

From your terminal, type:

adb push su /data/local/temp
    adb push rageagainsthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
    adb push busybox /data/local/temp

Now enter adb shell:

adb shell

You will now see a "$" prompt.

Type:

./data/local/temp/rage

Now wait until you get kicked all the way back to your terminal prompt. If you see the "$", don't do anything, just keep waiting! When it's done you'll be all the way out of ADB, which you will now need to restart.

Get back to the adb shell:

adb shell

Now you need to remount your /system directory as read/write, so type:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
    cd /system/bin
    cat /data/local/temp/su > su
    cat /data/local/temp/busybox > busybox
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 4755 busybox

At this point, you may way to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp:

(optional)
    rm /data/local/temp/su
    rm /data/local/temp/busybox
    rm /data/local/temp/rage

Then reboot:

reboot

When your phone reboots, go to the market and download Superuser.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you!
    Ok.. After scouring the internet for the past two hours to try to figure this out, here I am, hat in hand.

I am on a mac running Snow Leopard and have no experience with this.

I can successfully get to the step where I see the "$" prompt (from what I understand, this means I'm in the adb shell in the phone), but after that point, anything I type gives me a "permission denied" message. I have tried mount/unmount; I've run the "sudo ./adb kill-server" followed by the "sudo ./adb start-server" commands; I've restarted my phone and computer a handful of times; and I've pasted umpteen other lines of code into terminal as potential fixes. All to no avail.

Help a brother out! I assume that once I get past this permission barrier, it will all be smooth sailing. I understand other people are having this issue, but I don't see a fix that works for mac. Somebody wanna give it a shot?

Just got LG revolution vs910. Downloaded the files can't find where they saved to. Own what SDK means please dumb down for me I'm trying to undo Verizon lock so I can use straight talk sim card. Sim card in phone got WiFi setup and a few things. still sees sim as not Verizon. plz help

WTF! That made no sense to me. Do you need a computer for this?

Quote Originally Posted by ufkal View Post
    I believe I did...silly software ran, and then tried to install the auto update software. So do I try to install again? or should I have not installed it?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234