LG Spectrum Officially Rooted - Credit to Dan J. Rosenberg

bL33d

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Sweet who has done this... Seems to have worked. just granted rootexplorer superuser permissions.

Not sure if i should freeze any bloat as i don't have a backup since no clockwork recovery yet.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
no need for recovery, just freeze the bloat. if you need to return the phone or something, just unfreeze it. freezing bloat doesn't remove it, just disables it.

Zekk98

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Argh, I can't get this to work and I was wondering fi one of you guys who have done the process successfully explain it to me and kinda help me out.. I am kinda new but I really need a guide to rooting for this particular process and device.

bL33d

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
lg adb drivers need to be installed before hand.
LG ADB Android Driver.zip

wifi has to be disabled and you have to enable usb debugging in settings/application/development and after u plug in the phone slide down notification bar select usb and choose modem as ur connection.

Then u just need to unzip and run the .bat file from the root file u downloaded from dan rosenburg

Last edited:

bL33d

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
anybody freeze lg home? i have froze pretty much all bloat just fine just curious about lg home?? i have adw launcher installed.

Zekk98

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
And also how do you put a custom rom on this device? Does it have to be device specific or can I find any rom that looks good and flash it on here? Or do I have to wait for dev support and custom roms specific to the spectrum?? Also, I am positive that since your phone is rooted and you have adw launcher installed you should be able to freeze lg home.

Update: I did freeze Lg Home with another launcher installed and had no issues it will just use the other launcher as the default.

Last edited:

bL33d

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
has to be a rom made for this device which there are none yet. seeing as we just got root today and dont have a working clockwork recovery yet.

This phone is damn snappy with bloat gone and qhd gingerbread launcher installed. ADW ex was alittle laggy during transitions.

Zekk98

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Argh, I notice a speed bump with the bloatware gone and the launcher installed, but with benchmarks its like my cpu suffers for some reason and that wasn't the case before I rooted and stuff... I am not sure why though..

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Congrats to Dan and all of you Spectrum users. Now... get a recovery going and start developing some roms.
If this phone had a better camera and hope for ICS anytime soon, I'd have kept it.

Zekk98

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Freezing the bloatware or aka unwanted programs that come stock and cant be deleted unlessbyou root. but its not a good idea to delete them because if you have an issue you will need to have the abilitybto revert everything to stock again so verizon or your warranty will still be valid on the device. And all freezing does it block a program from even starting or doing anything and it will also disappear from the apps list. So with freezing you dont even have to delete the unwanted apps just freeze them. There are apps that freeze unwanted apps and they are on the android market. You need to make sure your phone is rooted.

FoolyDooly

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Driver doesn't install in x64 Windows. Any suggestions?

-nevermind, skipped the modem step; very important. Seems driver is packed with autorun software wrapped in the phone. Clever LG.

Last edited:

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
You drivers are on your phone. If you turn your phone to charge only, you will have a drive pop up on your computer that has all the drivers needed to get ADB working properly. The drive will be (CD Drive "Drive letter" Verizon Mobile). Go into the tools directory and you should see the driver pack listed as LG_VZW_United_WHQL_v2.3.1.exe

ayares

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Zek98 and bL33d, my phone hasn't had any change in benchmark tests after rooting. Quadrant 2.0 has issues with consistency, but the maximum score before rooting was 2712 (first run with Quadrant 2.0). After root the maximum it achieved was 2759, while the minimum was 2174. This is from about 8 runs before and 8 runs after root.

Freezing bloatware hasn't sped up the phone benchmarks, but it feels better to know VZ apps are not automatically running in the background; and the other benefits of root are terrific as usual.

x-amp

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
how did you change the bootanimation? did you just overwrite it?

also, has anyone had any problem getting superuser to prompt in terminal explorer

Last edited:

Leroy T

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know much about rooting, but is this 100% reversible if I have to return the phone to VZ? I think I read somewhere that it was, but not sure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech