So you've just rooted your phone... now what to do

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I've seen enough people do some really silly things in the few days that root has been out, and I'd like to prevent people from having so many issues.

1) DO NOT freeze/delete the LG launcher if you are playing around with new/other launchers. If you do and you by chance remove your other launcher, your phone will not boot. Keeping it in the back round will not cost many resources and it is good to have the backup launcher there.

2) DO NOT delete system apps/bloatware unless you know what you are doing. A better choice is to use Titanium Backup and use the "freeze app" option. This prevents the app from loading, but leaves the file on your phone in case something goes wrong.

3) DO make a full backup of your phone. I prefer Titanium Backup, but the choice is your own.

4) DO ask before trying something if you're not sure about what you are doing. A lot of us have been doing this for a while now and we have had our share of mess ups. If in doubt, ask.

5) DO NOT go into Verizon expecting help with your rooted phone. The second they see root, you can kiss your warranty good bye.

6) DO install a root backup program. These programs make a backup of the SU file elsewhere in the system directory in case an OTA update removes root. I have an Atrix that just received an OTA and am glad I had a backup SU file.

7) DO have fun. Root on it's own will not magically make your phone faster, but it does make it easier to customize. Sooner or later, someone will make a custom boot loader for the phone and then we can get on to cooking some ROMs. Until then, just enjoy the fact that the phone is completely yours, for better or worse.

bL33d

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
i installed adw ex in system/app so i would always have it.

FYI if u use tw4.5 launcher with it installed in system/app u can use all the lg widgets with it. odd since u can not use widgets with any other launchers even if there installed in system/app

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Titanium backup is a root based backup program. We do not how ever have a functional recovery to do nandroid backups yet.

hollywoodS14

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
i want to play around with some launchers, but have seen a couple having issues after uninstalling the added launchers and going back to the stock LG launcher. I am rooted and do have titanium back up pro installed.

finndo77

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
i installed adw ex in system/app so i would always have it.

FYI if u use tw4.5 launcher with it installed in system/app u can use all the lg widgets with it. odd since u can not use widgets with any other launchers even if there installed in system/app

Thank you for this, it explains a lot, I was wondering where they went.

Sent from my rooted LG Spectrum via tapatalk..

therealpk

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I cannot seem to find the correct TW Launcher on the Market (or Google Play, as it's now called). Is this still available there, or do I have to go find the .apk somewhere online?

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I rooted my one month old LG Spectrum. Today I partially de-bloated it.

Here's what I have successfully removed so far:
Bitbop
Blockbuster
Finance
Friends Plus widget
Hot Pursuit
Let's Golf 2
News
Polaris Office
Rhapsody
Richnote + widget
TuneWiki
VCast Apps + installer
VCast Media Manager
VCast Tones
Verizon Video
Video Surf
VZ Navigator

There are a few others I'd like to remove, but I'm not sure if I should. They are:
DummyApp.apk/.odex
Favorite Contacts widget
Guided Tours
In Touch widget
Interactive Messages
MLT.apk/.odex
Quick Reference
Social Plus
Today Plus widget
VZWService.apk
Weather + widget
What's New

Anyone have any concrete advice? I state it that way because I can't find advice anywhere else and I don't want someone to just say "Go for it!"

Thanks

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I seriously hope you froze your apps and didn't remove them. If you removed them without having a nandroid backup in place, you just made it that you can not receive any OTA updates, including the planned one for ICS. As far as the files with odex, remove at your own risk. Removing one odex file with others still in the directory, typically will cause your entire phone to boot loop as each file has to be md5 hash checked at startup and needs to be their.

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
So how do you figure I won't be able to use any OTA updates?

I haven't removed anything that seems like it would matter. I removed only apk files that were clearly related to apps I wanted gone.

And a factory wipe won't fix it if you prove to be correct? I suppose if you are right, I should be able to find a stock ROM somewhere...

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Neph, do you have any hard evidence to back up your claim? Note, the second list is of items I'd like to remove -- NOT ones that I already have (that's the first list).

I'm just trying to see where I stand so I can take an appropriate course of action to ensure I'm eligible for the eventual ICS upgrade.

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I've done more digging and it appears that I did not have correct info. Removing items from the apps directory will not prevent OTA updates. Modifying items in your framework directory will how ever and that is where I had it mixed up. I still do not recommend people delete apps when freezing works just as well, especially if for some reason you needed to get repair work done and needed to be back to stock status.

Reactions: cac2us

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I just order 2 spectrums tonight and will recieve them wednesday. Anyone know why a custom rom is taking so long? I didn't check beforehand but assumed there were already some out by now. Why are the devs, and it seems everyone else in the customization world, ignoring this phone. It and the htc rezound have the best hardware specs around right now. I don't understand why this phone is being ignored. Galaxy nexus has over ten roms out for it already and came out around the same time as the spectrum. I really hope the dev of eclipse has sometihng out soon. I've been running eclipse on my charge for a month and it's very nice.

cac2us

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got my pair of Spectra today. The wife found that SeasonZen HD works great and she won't let me root it.
The upside is I get to keep both my DInc II's. YAY...
Mine however has root, At least I think so any way.
I ran the ROOT then ran CWM then quit.
I've been loading Titanium BU and all my media.
I don't plan to activate either one of these.
WiFi here at the park if great and I have a DInc II with unlimited data and runnin Carbonite. SWEET.
I haven't even opened up the 4G cards. Probably never will.
I will wait for the dev's to do their magic with ICS if it ever arrives.
And runin in airplane mode should yield some outrageous battery usage.
Like having a double extended battery.

Ever since VomitRizen charged me a restock fee on that POS R-Hyme with the AppHoled style battery, Got it Friday and canceled it on Sunday and still got the crap about restock bla, bla.
You know that they just write it off as a loss on taxes any way.
So if they ever ask why I don't activate, well... I don't think I want to. Thank you very much...

I will chime in again if I need more help..

Oh and thank you all for being here to help so many of us through this special time of ROOT!!!!:D

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Whew! Thanks, neph. You had me worried there.

Yeah, I should have moved those apps instead of removing them. But at least I didn't mess with anything too important. Now I'm just biding my time until the eventual ICS update hits.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk

cac2us

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
so SU is right on time. Hey Neph, is the CWM that is built into the ROOT script OK to run a Nandroid?
I was reading about the .zip file you posted to recover from the bootloop syndrome.
I put it on the root of my SD Card as is, still zipped and all but wanted to check and see weather or not I need to run the file beforehand.
I am going to do a backup through recovery using ROM Manager just to get into recovery.

Might wait a few to see what other kind of trouble I can get into.
I can't seem to get Ti BU to see my purchase .txt file. It just shows Free ver.

EDIT:
AW, Silly me I left that txt file in a backup folder.
Put it on the root of the card and bingo..

Last edited:

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
If you have the latest version, then yes, it has CWM Touch built into the script. Nandroid works fine, but using the format command in CWM is hit or miss at this point. I don't have a solid explanation as to why that is. Also, you can just use the "Reboot into recovery" button in Rom manager and it will take you straight into CWM Recovery. The zip file should only every be needed if for some reason you need to use the button combo and that should be very rare unless you do someone silly like modify system files.

Reactions: cac2us

cac2us

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to get into recovery via ROM Manager and had to do a battery pull.
ROM Toolbox seems to work OK. I went ahead and flashed the zip.
Is that OK or should I re root for any reason.?

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, you really did not read the post about the zip. You ONLY need to flash it when you are in boot loop with CWM and that only comes from using the hardware buttons to get into recovery. It is not needed at any other time and it's not a one time fix. What it does is clears a flag on the phone that forces you into recovery every time at boot, nothing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol