CWM Recovery for LG Spectrum

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
THIS GUIDE HAS BEEN OUT OF DATE FOR A WHILE NOW. STOP USING IT AND THIS VERSION OF THE RECOVERY SOFTWARE. YOU SHOULD ALL BE ON TO THIS VERSION BY NOW.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ery-ported-koushs-offical-nitro-recovery.html

Credit goes to the guys at XDA for doing the initial work on CWM for the Nitro[CWM][24/01] ClockworkMod 5 Recovery For LG Nitro HD - xda-developers

With that said, here comes the warnings

DO NOT do this if you are not familiar with the DD command.
DO NOT do this if you are not familiar with how to recover your phone from the LG .cab files.
DO NOT do this if you do not understand how badly you will wreck your phone.
DO NOT touch the page 7 partition. If you do, your phone is FULL BRICK as page 7 has all the Download Mode and Format System info
DO NOT USE THE BUILT IN COMMAND TO FORMAT ANY PARTITION, THIS INCLUDES RESTORING NANDROID BACKUPS
There is a known bug of /data being corrupted if you use the format command in CWM. You have been warned.

Now that we have that out of the way, here we go.

Download the recovery file here : http://androidfiles.massivefilehost.com/cwm_recovery/cwm_recovery.img

Do a MD5 hash check on the completed file. The hash should return as 9fdcb32f01c21d72776a641262e273
If it didn't try the file again. If you are still getting issues, let me know.

Place the cwm_recovery.img file into the same directory as ADB

Push the img file to the SD card on your phone using ADB.

ADB into your phone and SU to enter super user mode

CRITICAL STEP:

Make a DD backup of your recovery partition in case something goofs up. The command would be as follows "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/orig_recovery.img" Do not mess up this step and make sure to get that orig_recovery.img file to some place safe.

Next CD to /sdcard
ls -l to make sure you really are in your sd card directory and that cwm_recovery.img is sitting there.
now run "dd if=cwm_recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13"
If all went well you should be able to exit out of ADB and then run ADB REBOOT RECOVERY.

If any of this sounds weird to you DO NOT TRY THIS. I will not be helping people trouble shoot their bricked phones. What this does at this point is allows us to ADB into our phone while in recovery and replace system files while the system is not loaded. The power button selects menu items. When you first go in, you will need to go into "mounts and storage" and mount your /system directory to see and modify your system files.

Now that this is out, hopefully we can get some ROM loving.

EDIT: The phone will pull a copy of the original recovery from the boot partition which will over write the CWM recovery. If you want to stop this from happening, you will need to do the following in ADB BEFORE installing CWM. At some point I will get around to writing a .bat file for all of this.

adb shell
su
mount -orw,remount /dev/block/system /system
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
exit
adb reboot

Last edited:

pouxonu

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Great work on getting this done the only request if possible could you post up a slighlty more detailed step by step Cause I can never remember all the commands while using ADB. I f you could it would be a great help. Not a noob at this but not a pro either.

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Once the guys working on the Nitro figure out why formating /data corrupts it, I will write a better write up. For the time being, I'm leaving it as is as making it too easy at this point would put it in the hands of people who would be too tempted to try to format /data or restore a nandroid backup without thinking about it.

If there is a specific step that you are confused on thou, I would be glad to help.

pouxonu

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I gotcha,no biggie and again great job on this. Also, have you thought about giving the info to Koush and see if he can get it worked into rom manager? Just a thought

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Once it's ready for prime time I will have it submitted. Right now I'm just hoping to figure out what is corrupting the file system when format is run. Still well above my comprehension at this point, but I'm learning fast.

pouxonu

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Here ya go Neph try some beats on for size since you can flash things to the phone now. Found this on the web the other date where beats audio can go onto any gingerbread rom with CWM

pouxonu

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Hadn't had a chance to try it, but it only works when connected to an aduio device(headphones,Btooth,ect) so it doesn't really need to be off because it doesn't function when using the phones speakers

dnb77

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Trying to download the one click link that roots your phone and install cwm. The links seem to all be broken and all that is left is to manually install cwm through sdk and that is very time consuming and difficult. I dont know how to access the adb etc. I have rooted my phone but is having trouble getting cwm. You would think a youtube video or a tutorial on this would have been made but Can anyone help.

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Trying to download the one click link that roots your phone and install cwm. The links seem to all be broken and all that is left is to manually install cwm through sdk and that is very time consuming and difficult. I dont know how to access the adb etc. I have rooted my phone but is having trouble getting cwm. You would think a youtube video or a tutorial on this would have been made but Can anyone help.

go over to android forums for support. This forum is pretty dead most of the time. All the action for this phone is over at android forums

http://androidforums.com/lg-spectrum/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781