Any reason to NOT buy the Spectrum?

TheBigKahuna72

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Looking for an Android phone for Verison, trying to keep the price in the <$100 range. Looks like the Bionic and Spectrum are my top choices.

Any reason to NOT buy a Spectrum?

CaptDigB

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Battery life, mobile hotspot is junk, live wallpapers I downloaded don't work, uses more data than my thunder bolt did watching videos , charger plugs in top, will drain battery even on charger while in use. Wifi doesnt stay connected to my router .

Last edited:

CaptDigB

May 9, 2010
Visit site
That's the 1st I've heard of several of the issues you've had.

I just got a 2amp charger it seems to help charging issue. The wallpaper, issue sucks my favrite wallpapers won't work on the this phone even though they all worked fine on my thunderbolt and I even got a new spectrum due to the charging issue and I tried wallpapers out first thing and still no luck and the new phone battery would drain on the wall charger under normal heavy usage like netflix and full brightness or installing apps.

ups2525

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a Thunderbolt, Charge and a Bionic all tweaked out and my Spectrum is head and shoulders above the rest. There is a dev currently working on roming this thing...here is his Spectrum forum LG Spectrum

TheBigKahuna72

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Spectrum, after looking all over town for one! Actually like the plug being on top, makes more sense in the car,etc. Now, to dig in and explore!

LarryPGH

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Spectrum, after looking all over town for one! Actually like the plug being on top, makes more sense in the car,etc. Now, to dig in and explore!

What with Radio Shack advertising the Spectrum for $89, I've been considering taking the plunge. Are you willing to post here with your first impressions over the next day or two?

Thanks!

Larry

TheBigKahuna72

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Sure....but this is my 1st smartphone....so I can't really compare it to anything. Radio Shack did not have the Spectrum today...I actually went there during my search. They told me they weren't going to get them for a while....but I'll take everything the sales girl told me with a grain of salt. Their prices were some of the highest I've seen. Target and Walmart are offering it for around $90 but you have to order online, neither store keeps the Spectrum in stock, at least not around here. Neither does Best Buy. HHGregg was the only place besides Verizon that had them. HHGregg has them for $129.

allbroncos

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The battery is my biggest issue with the phone, burns it up fast. I am in an area with 3G only and it still only lasts until afternoon. That's with some use, but I would not consider it heavy use. And that is with it set to CDMA only. I bought the LG stand to charge it with, and it came with an extra battery. That helps, but I would think it would last a little longer. Another thing that's been mentioned is the slow initial start up of the browser. This is my first smart phone, so I don't have a lot of experience with them.

t35rk

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Costco online has the Spectrum for $49.99.

Two reasons to not get this phone (I you're still looking for reasons) are:
1. The camera is not up to snuff compared to the similarly spec'd Rezound and,
2. If you will be dependant on charging at different locations, compatible charters seem to be a pain to find.

Those can be deal breakers to some, especially #1, but the Spectrum seems to be a beast and may be the best phone on Verizon.

I'll be eligible for a new device in a week. It's between this and the Incredible 3 for me, with the Rezound also an option. $50 at Costco may be too good to pass up though.

finndo77

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
$19.99 at newegg, bought it last night.

BOOM!

Already Rooted, with a touch based CWM, and a CM7 build coming this weekend, pending issues. Head to android forums dot com for the above mentioned. At this price, this monster phone should have lots of devs working on it soon.

sent from my rooted Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

TheBigKahuna72

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The Spectrum I bought was from HHGregg. It was unadvertised, even in the store. No one else in town had them except Verizon. It was marked $699 at HHGregg. But they looked it up and it was on sale for $129. I could have bought it online for less ($89) but didn't feel like waiting till next week. It's 4199 buy one get on free at Verizon right now, but I don't need two.

So far so good. Call quality isn't great, but I've only made a couple of calls so far. Audio was poor sounding. Will comment on this later after more calls. Everything else feels really fast, but it does seem to spend a lot of time connecting to my home wi-fi. I need to look into that.

CaptDigB

May 9, 2010
Visit site
The Spectrum I bought was from HHGregg. It was unadvertised, even in the store. No one else in town had them except Verizon. It was marked $699 at HHGregg. But they looked it up and it was on sale for $129. I could have bought it online for less ($89) but didn't feel like waiting till next week. It's 4199 buy one get on free at Verizon right now, but I don't need two.

So far so good. Call quality isn't great, but I've only made a couple of calls so far. Audio was poor sounding. Will comment on this later after more calls. Everything else feels really fast, but it does seem to spend a lot of time connecting to my home wi-fi. I need to look into that.

Mine losses connection to wifi all the time also.

TheBigKahuna72

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
A couple more days:

Battery life is terrible. I'm not a heavy user. Not even a moderately heavy user...light user is far more accurate. Just in my pocket on standby, it drains at a decent clip.....but will survive 8+ hours. But if I use it, I don't think it'll last that long. With very light use, over a 6-7 hour period, the battery meter is low. Hopefully after a few complete cycles, the battery life picks up? But I doubt this battery would last 4 hours of moderate to heavy use...and this sounds typical from what most people with ANY other smartphone, especially 4g phones are telling me. I already have a lot of things shut down when I'm not using the phone trying to conserve battery. Will definitely be a "charge every night" phone. The days of having a phone last 3+ days on one charge are over, but I expected this out of a 4g phone.

Still not thrilled with sound quality during phone calls. Do not like the call logs either. And other than the camera being unable to load the other day, everything else is pretty good. Camera failed to load after several tries. Powered off, removed battery, powered back on and camera came on for a couple of seconds then shut itself down again. It eventually started working properly again. haven't figured out the reason for this hiccup yet.

hollywoodS14

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Your battery will come around. I am getting 14-16 hours with light to moderate use and still have about 50% battery left. Today i am at 10 hours off the charger and at 90% left, but that is minimal to light use. I find the mic and earpiece to be more than sufficient. I am also only using cdma 3g, no 4g in my area yet. You would actually be suprised how long the phone will last under heavy gaming use also. Just cycle the battery a couple times, let it go down to the 10-15% are a couple times.