Petition ROM devs!!!

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to start a thread here to tell everyone that would like a custom rom to make your voices heard and let the devs know there is some interest.

I started a thread over on the eclipse forums here LG Spectrum So get over there guys and lets start talking. Eclipse is a really good ROM and it would be great to have it for the LG. I just find it very strange you guys aren't making more noise about wanting a custom rom for this phone. The galaxy nexus came out around the same time as the spectrum and has over 20 roms at this point. I just bought my spectrum yesterday over the phone and have yet to receive it, but I didn't know how little interest from devs this phone is getting.

We need to make some noise! There must be some devs out there with this phone. I couldn't imagine that its going to remain this way for long, but even if eclipse is released soon it would still be nice to have at least a few options for the spectrum.

I hope some devs see this and maybe it inspires them to work on a rom for us. I'm sure there already some devs working on it...I hope so at least. rooting and GO launcher isn't enough!

Neph

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
First off, I can tell that you know very little about the back end of Android. The difference between the Gnexus and the Spectrum software wise is sufficient enough to cause massive head ache. The Gnexus also came pre-unlocked and with ICS and with the backing of Google as it "was" a Nexus class device. I say was as Google no longer qualifies any CDMA phone as Nexus class do to CDMA manufacturers not wanting to open source their drivers.

On the back end we are also dealing with the fact that the file structure went from MTD to EMMC which alone is causing massive porting issues as almost every Rom cooking tool is based on MTD. Then there is fun part that this is one of the newer CDMA LTE phones and finding correct drivers is still not as easy as it use to be.

Also, to get ICS running, you need official drivers from the manufacturer and those will not come out until a) the Spectrum gets an official ICS rom, or b) another CDMA LTE phone gets an ICS rom that we can gank the drivers from .

While I'm happy that you are making noise, I can tell you that you will be disappointed with your device if all you care about is custom Roms and ICS. You also apparently failed to do research on your phone to see if dev support was happening.

Isaiah.Israel

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input neph. And you are right I haven't spent a great deal of time learning all the technical ends and outs of the software of these phones. It's just not something I have time for.

And I actually did do some research into weather a custom rom was in the works before posting here, and I wasn't finding much at all and that was my reason for posting. I was just surprised when I bought this phone that there wasn't at least one rom for it. I did see that the maker of eclipse is working on it and so I posted a thread over there on the eclipse forums to encourage him.

I know devs are working on it, but I also know that if there doesnt seem to be much interest the devs may put it on the backburner while they focus on phones people care about having custom roms for. The community for this phone appears to me to be very weak and lacking. And if i were a dev I would take notice of that. So I was just asking for those of us who would like to see some roms to make some threads about it and talk. Can't be any harm in that and only good could come out of it.

Also I don't "just" care about custom roms and ICS. I do know that custom roms typically far exceed the stock rom on any phone in terms of performance, and I would like to maximize the potential of the spectrum because I know how poor the stock rom is. I've done a decent amount of research on this phone and went into a verizon store and used one for at least 30 minutes and I noticed some lag, and this phone, with it's hardware specs, shouldn't lag. I currently have a droid charge and it was a laggy piece of trash until i put a custom rom on it...now it runs smooth and almost lag free.

Again I thank you for your input and education but I think you slightly misunderstood my reason for posting.

And sorry for comparing the nexus and spectrum. I Was just noting that there are other phones that are similar to the spectrum that have been out for about the same amount of time and have numerous roms already. My point in comparing them was that this phone of all 4G-lte dual core cpu phones is being ignored the most. Maybe I'm just ignorant and don't understand that this one is the hardest to work with at the dev level. Sorry for my ignorance...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995