Finger print killer....

whanner

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I went to T-Mobile last night to get a case for the V10. I had read that when put in a case that the finger print scanner would stop working so I tried it in the store.... sure nuf, finger print scanner couldn't read my finger print......what's up with that?

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Store demo units are used and abused by customers, I am not suprised in the least bit.

Last edited:

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Apparently anything (case) the prevents contact from the side rails to your hand, seriously interferes with the fingerprint reader functionality.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Huh.....I put on a Ringle TPU BUMPER case after setting up my finger print and the scanner seems to be working fine. FYI, got the case on Amazon.

Posted via the Android Central App with my LG V10

TitaniumMan

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Becoming a known problem. Side rails must make contact with your hand in order for the finger scanner to work. Sucks if you like to protect your phone with a nice case. Makes the scanner useless.

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
That's one weird security feature. I just tried without touching the side rails and sure enough, nothing, but as soon as I touched the rail with just one finger the fingerprint scanner worked.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I think it has to do with the angle at which you're touching the sensor. If you register a fingerprint while touching the sides of the phone without a case and then put a case on and try and use the scanner, it won't recognize your fingerprint. You have to register a new fingerprint AFTER you apply the case.

witwer77

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
That's one weird security feature. I just tried without touching the side rails and sure enough, nothing, but as soon as I touched the rail with just one finger the fingerprint scanner worked.

Might be more of a finger orientation issue...I can unlock mine without touching the SS sides.

Got a Spigen "ultra thin" case from Amazon, gets here Thursday so I will report back then.

TitaniumMan

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Don't work regardless with case on and trying to register new fingerprint. Need to make connectivity with the side rails. Some are experiencing with super thin cases you can get some connectivity to the side rails. Anything thicker no bueno..

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I just deleted my fingerprints and tried to add them without touching the side rails and it wouldn't let me do it until I touched the side rail. I wonder why they set it up like that.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I just deleted my fingerprints and tried to add them without touching the side rails and it wouldn't let me do it until I touched the side rail. I wonder why they set it up like that.

I just did it for kicks and was able to register a fingerprint without touching the side rails. I held the phone in the landscape position with my right and left hands holding the top and bottom of the phone. I then used my left index finger to touch the power button(fingerprint scanner). I successfully registered the fingerprint and then was able to unlock the phone with my left index finger without touching the side rails. I'll try and get someone to record me so I can post a video doing it.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Using the Incipio... The only case T mobile had... Had a hard time registering both of my fingers.... My right index was the worst... The left index was not so bad

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I tried it in portrait mode holding the top and bottom. If you had it in landscape the top and bottom would be the sides or did you mean the left and right sides as your holding in in landscape position?

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I need to see that video when you make it because it's just not working for me no matter how I turn the phone unless I touch the side rails.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I tried it in portrait mode holding the top and bottom. If you had it in landscape the top and bottom would be the sides or did you mean the left and right sides as your holding in in landscape position?

Sorry, yes, I meant to say I was holding the right and left sides of the phone in landscape.

I'm working on getting a video uploaded.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so the quality isn't great....my daughter recorded it on her phone and I didn't want to spend a lot of time uploading a high quality video. Also towards the end you'll see me trying to turn the screen back on and it doesn't always work when I press the power button or even knock on the screen....it only happened a couple times and not sure if that has to do with the way I was holding the phone but as you can see I was able to register a fingerprint and unlock the phone without touching the side rails.

ContriteFight

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Does that fingerprint only work when you hold it in that position, or will that fingerprint work if you are holding it normally with a case on as well?

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Does that fingerprint only work when you hold it in that position, or will that fingerprint work if you are holding it normally with a case on as well?

I mainly did it to point out the fact that you don't need to hold the side rails of the phone in order to successfully register a fingerprint. People have been saying you need to have your hands on the side rails in order for it to work and that's why it doesn't work with a case on the phone.

Also, I read from someone else another tip for those who are still having issues registering their fingerprint with the case on the phone is to plug your headphones in and then register the fingerprint. That apparently works.....and LG said they are aware of the issue and currently working on a fix but I'm not sure this is something that can just be fixed in the software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meer