Windows Phone to LG V10?

Longstone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why I'm posting other than to share my indecisiveness. I'm trying to make a decision to move from my Lumia Icon over to the V10. Family member just purchased a G4 and I was really impressed with it. Layout of the buttons, overall design etc. I started looking at the V10 and have so far been impressed (other than the mess that is the Optimus UI.

I posted in the Windows Central forum about how disappointed I am in Microsoft/Verizon for not making the 950/XL available to more carriers, Microsoft's apparent desire to remove some of the more unique features of the Windows Mobile Ecosystem (i.e. Rooms) and now their 180 degree turn on the OneDrive storage. I came from Android and was always really happy with it but now I've been using Windows Mobile for so long I can't decide if I want to go back or wait and hope Windows Mobile 10 helps. Of course I have no hope Verizon would allow that upgrade for months after WM10 is available to the Icon.

Say what you want about Windows Mobile and their lack of share, the interface and hardware on the Lumia line is hard to beat and the integration with Cortana, Windows 10, my Microsoft Band 2 and the ability to read/reply to text while driving is awesome.

I know I'd be happy with the V10 hardware and the deal Verizon is currently offering (Second battery, charging cradel and 64GB microSD card) is hard to beat. I guess I'm just hoping it's ability to provide functionality I'm used to. Like read/reply to texts while driving, and I'm kind of dreading leaving the fast simplistic interface the Windows Phone offers.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I came from Windows Phone to the LGG4 then the V10. I loved the operating system but like many I was frustrated by the lack of upper end phones. I was planning on going to the 950 or Xl but alas my carrier will not be selling it, and unfortunately that is my purchasing vehicle.

I miss three things the most from Windows Phone.

People Hub. There is no comparable app that integrates contacts and social media accounts in the same fashion.

Live Tiles. While widgets are close, they take up screen real estate and don't seem to be as streamlined nor update as quickly.

Cortana. Google now is quite handy, but just not quite the same. Google now will read aloud text messages, but not sure if it will work with legacy auto Bluetooth systems like Cortana does. I really liked how they sneak a Cortana contact in there so you can activate it by using your car audio and say Call Cortana.

Now having said all that here's what I really enjoy about the V10 and Android in general.

Lag as we knew it is basically gone. The V10 performs extremely well. It's quick and responsive, and in my experience rarely falters.

I also had an Icon and the V10 camera is pretty freaking great. It's fast and easy in auto mode, and gives just about all the manual controls you could ask for.

Apps apps and more apps. The one major complaint I have with WP is not so much the lack of apps, but the lack of app to app communications. It's a double edged sword, but the convenience is refreshing. The fact that you can get just about all of the Microsoft apps on Android (and the fact that they usually work a little better) was a big plus, and the app selection is endless.

I still hold on to the hope that windows phone will make a comeback on my carrier, well hell every carrier lol and I will probably switch back. But if that never happens I am still quite happy with the overall LG experience. This is an impressive device that I think you will be happy with regardless of your past OS.

Posted via the Android Central App

CobaltDragon

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation. I moved from my Lumia 925 to a Nexus 6P a few days ago. I like it, but I am considering moving back to a 950 XL mainly b/c of the awesome way that text messaging works over BT with Windows Phones.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I used a Lumia 635 for about 18 months, and I like the Windows interface, but I also have experience with Android and I wanted a flagship phone--and the 950XL wasn't going to cut it for me, due to lack of complete integration with T-Mobile.

And then I went online locally and found someone selling his month-old T-Mobile V10 for half price. Done.

And I'm not unhappy at all. Everything in life is a compromise, and I did give up those wonderful live tiles, but the V10 and modern Android is a wonderful thing.

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I also made the jump to android from WP. Started with the Samsung focus and ended with the 640 after my beloved 1020 took too much of a beating.

I went with the V10 primarily for the camera which is what I loved most out the Lumia's and it was a hard decision to not go with the 950. The main reason is the app support for me now. I really enjoyed the WP app community and still prefer 6tag over the official Instagram app. I figure I give android a run for a change and see what happens with WM10 in a year or 2, was just tired of being patient I suppose.

The things I miss though is the battery life and tiles. MS made it easier for me by making their services which I use a lot work on different platforms such as OneDrive and OneNote but in really enjoying the V10 and I highly recommend it

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
yeah, battery life. I've come to accept completely that putting such a powerful computer in my pocket requires looking at battery life differently. So, I ordered up a portable power pack with QuickCharge, and that'll just be in my bag or pocket or car with me.

I also carry around an old slow small portable USB charge adapter, which is fine for when I'm at the office--which isn't much--and I'll just accept that plugging it in is part of life.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I just moved from an ICON to a G3 just to test the Android waters and there are a handful of things I like and dislike considering the move

xboxonthego3

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch from the Icon myself to the V10. I wasn't sure at first. But I was in the same vote you were. We weren't getting the 950 or 950XL on Verizon. So... I decided to give android a shot since I have tried iPhones in the past. And boy do I love the V10. Before giving android a fair shot I thought it was mess. And it didn't make any sense to me. But now that I understand it I actually like it quite a bit. Love the customization with the different launchers that are available. Also love the access to more apps than Windows Phone 8.1. Except I've noticed I wasn't missing that many. Besides a functioning Redbox app and bank apps that I have yet to actually download. Tried giving androidpay a shot but my bank card doesn't work with it. But over I am extremely happy with my choice. I haven't been this excited about a phone since my HTC 8X windows phone.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
The ICON w Windows 10 IMHO had a MUCH better keyboard, a MUCH better camera, a MUCH better UI and I like the Cortana and other seamless Microsoft services/apps integration. The Android UI can be kinda overwhelming at times.

In the other hand, this G3 has a sharper display, better battery life (ICON battery life SUCKED), a slimmer body, smaller bezels and SO MANY APPS!

I am not staying on Android for long as the consistent and beautiful Windows UI sided with super smoothness from the low end all the way to the top of the line machines is too appealing. Also like you've said the Lumia flagship design languages just can't be beat IMHO. I'm also really looking forward to picking up a Surface branded device later in 2016 to complete my circle of a Microsoft first party hardware.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
This LG G3 is the only non-Microsoft media consumption device in using. I use a Xbox One, Surface Pro 3, and will probably sooner or later (when prices drop) get a MS Band 2 and Surface Pro 4 or Book

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Again I do greatly miss

Live Tiles, Cortana, the Keyboard, The Camera, Glance, and the Designs... Just to sum up my wall of texts..

I am using a G3 not a V10 though so... Yeah

Longstone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to pull the proverbial trigger tomorrow on the V10. I have a month to hold on to it to see if I like it, all I have to do is pay the $35 restocking fee if I don't like it. Thanks for all the great input.

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Also a recent WP user that decided I wanted access to more apps than WP currently provided and frankly I think Windows 10 needs a little more time to mature on the mobile side before it is ready for primetime IMO. That said with MS now making virtually everything cross-platform, I find I can use most everything I had before very easily or with a little adjustment. All the Office suite, OneDrive, even Cortana and Here maps. Get the Microsoft Account app and 2-factor authentication is a breeze. I am not a big fan of Google in general, so I've mostly replaced all the built in services with other apps other than what's hard baked in. Outlook mail client works well for your Outlook.com mail account and syncs to contacts. I use True Phone for the dialer/contact management and it has a really nice interface and you can aggregate your contacts there. Follow that up with Sync.me to pull contact pictures (And other info if desired) from social networks into the contacts. I'm using Firefox rather than Chrome. The setup works rather well now that I've acclimated to it and am learning new tricks every day. I'll keep my eye on Windows 10 and the now rumored "Surface" phone that is talked about coming around late next year and see what that brings. I do hope Microsoft's mobile platform finds a way to get traction, I did like many things about it.

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Again I do greatly miss

Live Tiles, Cortana, the Keyboard, The Camera, Glance, and the Designs... Just to sum up my wall of texts..

I am using a G3 not a V10 though so... Yeah

Cortana you can get on Android in beta form, the V10 camera is AWESOME, and I think that Swype or SwiftKey (What I use now) are just as good as the WP keyboard. The other design stuff, yeah I miss that.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Cortana you can get on Android in beta form, the V10 camera is AWESOME, and I think that Swype or SwiftKey (What I use now) are just as good as the WP keyboard. The other design stuff, yeah I miss that.

And let's not forget about one of the most important things Windows Phone and Cortana didn't let you do... Swear over speech to text lol. I won't miss the ******** in all my texts

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I switched from Windows Phone to Android back in March, mainly due to the constant "resuming" and the lack of apps. I started with a 2013 Moto X. Now I'm using a Moto X Pure Edition. I don't see myself getting another Windows Mobile device anytime in the foreseeable future. Once you've had every app you can possibly want, especially banking apps, Starbucks, and major retailers, it's hard to consider giving those up.

bo_woods

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I switched from Windows Phone to Android back in March, mainly due to the constant "resuming" and the lack of apps. I started with a 2013 Moto X. Now I'm using a Moto X Pure Edition. I don't see myself getting another Windows Mobile device anytime in the foreseeable future. Once you've had every app you can possibly want, especially banking apps, Starbucks, and major retailers, it's hard to consider giving those up.

I noticed your absence over on Windows Central lol

thomasdtran

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Black Friday made it hard to not get the Nexus 5X. I should receive it later today and I am switching from a Lumia 822 (I will keep it around to test WM10). Is there a way we can have the Google and Microsoft accounts sync with each other? It would be nice to have both up to date with contacts, as an example.

I really wish Microsoft priced the Lumia 950 similarly to Nexus and made it available on Verizon. They blew it.

I'm looking forward the camera on the 5X. I do wish it had a better microphone like the Lumias for video recording.

Thanks!

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Black Friday made it hard to not get the Nexus 5X. I should receive it later today and I am switching from a Lumia 822 (I will keep it around to test WM10). Is there a way we can have the Google and Microsoft accounts sync with each other? It would be nice to have both up to date with contacts, as an example.

I really wish Microsoft priced the Lumia 950 similarly to Nexus and made it available on Verizon. They blew it.

I'm looking forward the camera on the 5X. I do wish it had a better microphone like the Lumias for video recording.

Thanks!

Yes add your Outlook.com account as an Exchange server and use m.outlook.com as the server. If you use 2-factor auth. you will need to generate an app password on the MS account page to use, your normal one will not work. After that it should sync to the stock contacts fine. You can then merge any duplicates from multiple account as you wish or simply consolidate to 1 account however you want.

Also just so you know this is an LG V10 thread, but the answer is irrelevant to the phone model really in this case so whatever. Just letting you know in case you didn't notice or something. =)