An honest review from a fan of the V10

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned or seen a phone that didn't have it's quirks. The V10 is no exception. I'll start with the bad, and end with the good...but all in all, I really like this phone, and am quite pleased I chose it. All these praises and complaints are solely based on my use of this phone, and everyone's experience will be different......because everyone uses their phone differently.

The not-so-goods:
-Let's start with the fingerprint scanner: I love that I have one, I don't love how often it fails me. There seems to be a number of people on both sides of this, so I think I may need to "retrain" my device, now that I've developed habits on how I hold the phone. When it was brand new out of the box, I was just random finger mashing, but it's likely I've developed some consistency now that I've been using it for a while.

-Delay of proximity sensor: When you pull your phone out of your pocket, or flip it after it sitting face down, there is a slight delay by the proximity sensor before the phone will acknowledge your attempts to wake it from it's slumber. This can been seen visually in the 2nd screen, as it it off when it senses it's covered. 70% (made up figure) of the time, it's a fairly instant transition, other times there's a delay. When it delays, attempts to turn on the phone turn into a 3 stooges skit......a series of button mashes that first do nothing, then mock you as you turn the phone on an off. Finally your brain catches up with your finger, but by then you're just slightly more irritated (depending on the day you're having) This is small, but I have enough irritation in my day already.

-External speaker: This one is my personal biggest disappointment. I don't like the placement.....I don't like the sound quality......and I don't like having to cup my hand just so to clearly hear whatever I'm watching.

-Auto brightness: In it's current configuration, this is useless. On auto, it's often far to dim to be usable. Seems like an easy fix in a future update, but until then, I can't use it.....which leads me to my next dislike

-Battery life: Now let me state that this is partly my fault. I've done nothing yet to optimize my battery life. My auto updates are frequent, my screen is bright, and I run a lot of apps. Also, my previous phone (Droid Turbo) had fantastic battery life, so the bar was pretty high for me. Problem is, I didn't have to "optimize" to get a full day of heavy usage before, so now I feel I shouldn't have to. I will at some point though, because I do not get a full day without charging this phone. The free spare battery and wonderfully fast quick charge has made it bearable, but it's still disappointing to me.

Now for the good stuff....the reasons I really like this phone:

-Build quality: This phone feels better in my hands than any I've ever held. It's beautiful, solid, and reeks of quality. It's both durable and elegant. It's easy to hold, and with the rear button placement, easy to operate.

-Screen: The screen on this thing is beautiful. A month it, I still find myself in awe. Image quality is something we quickly acclimate to. In the fairly recent history, a beautiful 1080p television was something to behold, but I doubt many of us are "blown away" by them anymore. The screen on this phone has yet to reach that point with me.....I'm still enamored with it's beauty. Yes, the beautiful AMOLED screens that Samsung use are perhaps even more beautiful, I certainly think they are the best, initially. But remember this, the O in AMOLED is for "organic", which means they degrade over time. Look it up if you wish, but it is true that an AMOLED will lose quality over the life of the device. Also, there's always the potential for "burn in" on those beautiful AMOLED screens. The LG's screen is breathtaking, and while it may also have it's own shortcomings, It still brings a smile to my face

-Hi-Fi: I listen to music via headphones a lot, so this one is a bit of a bid deal to me. Music sounds wonderful coming from this device (by wire). The sounds are rich and clean. The bass is deep and clear. The highs are crisp and vibrant. What more could I ask for...

-Camera: No surprise here....this camera is the balls. I'm not an armature photographer. I don't have any special skills or knowledge with photography. What I do have is a phone that takes really great pictures, and honestly makes me look better than I am. I have been playing around with the manual controls, and it's paying dividends. The auto mode is sufficient, but the manual pics are 2 steps above. It doesn't take long to learn. Here are a few examples
nov night.jpgopenmic.jpgbinderclip.jpg

-2nd Screen: Now this isn't the "best most useful addition of all time", but I have found it quite useful on occasion. I like the music controls, the quick flashlight access, notification, camera functions, and "always on" date and time. It's also a good way to use what would otherwise be dead space beside the front cameras. Yes, the light bleed is real, but I only notice it in a dark room....which means I'll likely be sleeping shorty anyways. There are functions of it I'll probably never use, but over all it adds to the phones appeal for me.

-IR blaster, removable battery, and expandable memory: I lumped these together because, although I really like the (especially the IR blaster) there isn't much to say about them, just that I'm glad my phone has them.

-Radios: This phone handles all communications I throw at it very will. I've had no issues with call quality, data connections (well, some the first week, but I don't think it was the phone), bluetooth strength or general 3G/4G signal strength. It handles all these things as good as or better than any phone I've owned, including my wife's iPhone 6s Plus.

In summary: There are other things that different manufacturers do better than LG. Motorolla has the software beat. HTC wins the external audio battle, Samsung has some great innovations (S Pen, Edge screens).....but LG's offering fits best for me. It's not perfect, none of them are, but it's a phone I wield with pride and admiration. If you're a happy V10 owner, you know what I mean. If you're thinking about it, I assure you it's a great device. If you've tried it and hated it, well, nothing is right for everyone. If you have any questions about my specific experience with this phone, feel free to ask. Otherwise, enjoy your not so little pocket powerhouse!

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned or seen a phone that didn't have it's quirks. The V10 is no exception. I'll start with the bad, and end with the good...

*edited for length*

.....but LG's offering fits best for me. It's not perfect, none of them are, but it's a phone I wield with pride and admiration. If you're a happy V10 owner, you know what I mean. If you're thinking about it, I assure you it's a great device. If you've tried it and hated it, well, nothing is right for everyone. If you have any questions about my specific experience with this phone, feel free to ask. Otherwise, enjoy your not so little pocket powerhouse!

This review is on point. I've experienced all the frustrations you've encountered, but none of them outweigh the enormous benefits!

Last edited:

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned or seen a phone that didn't have it's quirks. The V10 is no exception. I'll start with the bad, and end with the good...but all in all, I really like this phone, and am quite pleased I chose it. All these praises and complaints are solely based on my use of this phone, and everyone's experience will be different......because everyone uses their phone differently.

The not-so-goods:
-Let's start with the fingerprint scanner: I love that I have one, I don't love how often it fails me. There seems to be a number of people on both sides of this, so I think I may need to "retrain" my device, now that I've developed habits on how I hold the phone. When it was brand new out of the box, I was just random finger mashing, but it's likely I've developed some consistency now that I've been using it for a while.

-Delay of proximity sensor: When you pull your phone out of your pocket, or flip it after it sitting face down, there is a slight delay by the proximity sensor before the phone will acknowledge your attempts to wake it from it's slumber. This can been seen visually in the 2nd screen, as it it off when it senses it's covered. 70% (made up figure) of the time, it's a fairly instant transition, other times there's a delay. When it delays, attempts to turn on the phone turn into a 3 stooges skit......a series of button mashes that first do nothing, then mock you as you turn the phone on an off. Finally your brain catches up with your finger, but by then you're just slightly more irritated (depending on the day you're having) This is small, but I have enough irritation in my day already.

-External speaker: This one is my personal biggest disappointment. I don't like the placement.....I don't like the sound quality......and I don't like having to cup my hand just so to clearly hear whatever I'm watching.

-Auto brightness: In it's current configuration, this is useless. On auto, it's often far to dim to be usable. Seems like an easy fix in a future update, but until then, I can't use it.....which leads me to my next dislike

-Battery life: Now let me state that this is partly my fault. I've done nothing yet to optimize my battery life. My auto updates are frequent, my screen is bright, and I run a lot of apps. Also, my previous phone (Droid Turbo) had fantastic battery life, so the bar was pretty high for me. Problem is, I didn't have to "optimize" to get a full day of heavy usage before, so now I feel I shouldn't have to. I will at some point though, because I do not get a full day without charging this phone. The free spare battery and wonderfully fast quick charge has made it bearable, but it's still disappointing to me.

Now for the good stuff....the reasons I really like this phone:

-Build quality: This phone feels better in my hands than any I've ever held. It's beautiful, solid, and reeks of quality. It's both durable and elegant. It's easy to hold, and with the rear button placement, easy to operate.

-Screen: The screen on this thing is beautiful. A month it, I still find myself in awe. Image quality is something we quickly acclimate to. In the fairly recent history, a beautiful 1080p television was something to behold, but I doubt many of us are "blown away" by them anymore. The screen on this phone has yet to reach that point with me.....I'm still enamored with it's beauty. Yes, the beautiful AMOLED screens that Samsung use are perhaps even more beautiful, I certainly think they are the best, initially. But remember this, the O in AMOLED is for "organic", which means they degrade over time. Look it up if you wish, but it is true that an AMOLED will lose quality over the life of the device. Also, there's always the potential for "burn in" on those beautiful AMOLED screens. The LG's screen is breathtaking, and while it may also have it's own shortcomings, It still brings a smile to my face

-Hi-Fi: I listen to music via headphones a lot, so this one is a bit of a bid deal to me. Music sounds wonderful coming from this device (by wire). The sounds are rich and clean. The bass is deep and clear. The highs are crisp and vibrant. What more could I ask for...

-Camera: No surprise here....this camera is the balls. I'm not an armature photographer. I don't have any special skills or knowledge with photography. What I do have is a phone that takes really great pictures, and honestly makes me look better than I am. I have been playing around with the manual controls, and it's paying dividends. The auto mode is sufficient, but the manual pics are 2 steps above. It doesn't take long to learn. Here are a few examples
View attachment 208028View attachment 208029View attachment 208030

-2nd Screen: Now this isn't the "best most useful addition of all time", but I have found it quite useful on occasion. I like the music controls, the quick flashlight access, notification, camera functions, and "always on" date and time. It's also a good way to use what would otherwise be dead space beside the front cameras. Yes, the light bleed is real, but I only notice it in a dark room....which means I'll likely be sleeping shorty anyways. There are functions of it I'll probably never use, but over all it adds to the phones appeal for me.

-IR blaster, removable battery, and expandable memory: I lumped these together because, although I really like the (especially the IR blaster) there isn't much to say about them, just that I'm glad my phone has them.

-Radios: This phone handles all communications I throw at it very will. I've had no issues with call quality, data connections (well, some the first week, but I don't think it was the phone), bluetooth strength or general 3G/4G signal strength. It handles all these things as good as or better than any phone I've owned, including my wife's iPhone 6s Plus.

In summary: There are other things that different manufacturers do better than LG. Motorolla has the software beat. HTC wins the external audio battle, Samsung has some great innovations (S Pen, Edge screens).....but LG's offering fits best for me. It's not perfect, none of them are, but it's a phone I wield with pride and admiration. If you're a happy V10 owner, you know what I mean. If you're thinking about it, I assure you it's a great device. If you've tried it and hated it, well, nothing is right for everyone. If you have any questions about my specific experience with this phone, feel free to ask. Otherwise, enjoy your not so little pocket powerhouse!

Great review and says it all.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with what you said. I'm coming from the Xperia Z3 and the things I immediately missed were the more comfortable size(now I love the bigger screen though), enduring battery life, and the brilliant front facing speakers that to me never received enough credit. I really liked Sony's stock UI but I'm using Nova Launcher on my V10 which has been great. Oh and I almost forgot: the ability to pair my PS3 controller to the Z3 natively without root was huge. I played through 3 discs of Final Fantasy VIII before switching to the V10. Without this capabilty, I can't charge the phone while playing games on the V10 since it comes through the same microUSB port. Everything else on the phone is superb and I got mine during the free battery, charging cradle, and 200gb sd card which I received this Monday. What other manufacturer will give you a deal like that? Most simply can't as their phones don't even have any of those hardware features. I was with Windows Phone for four plus years and this is only my second Android phone but I plan to keep it for two years unless Microsoft releases a Lumia 1020 successor with a Snapdragon 820 processor or better with a comparable app ecosystem. Apple hasn't done enough to reel me in yet especially when the continue to offer a ridiculous 16gb base model and charge you an arm and a leg for higher gb options. Love my V10.

Last edited:

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i read your post. I plan on picking up a v10 soon. Does the second screen only show the stock music player, or can you add a better one from the play store?

Posted via the Android Central App

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i read your post. I plan on picking up a v10 soon. Does the second screen only show the stock music player, or can you add a better one from the play store?

It will show whatever music player you are using at the moment. I use Google Play Music, Amazon Music, and the stock player....whichever one I'm using at the time can be controlled by the 2nd screen controls.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Call quality is great...yes speaker could be better for music but overall it works good.

Yeah it depends on the quality of what you're listening to/watching. Low quality stuff sounds pretty bad which wasn't the case on my Z3 but high quality stuff doesn't sound all that bad at all. Speakerphone calls aren't bad either.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
To the OP: If you were thinking about getting the Note 5 (or something else), why did you pick the V10? I'm torn between getting the Note 5 and V10. I've never been this undecided on phones before, or I'd end up buying both. But it is Christmas time and my budget is not allowing me to pick up both, so I have to pick one.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
To the OP: If you were thinking about getting the Note 5 (or something else), why did you pick the V10? I'm torn between getting the Note 5 and V10. I've never been this undecided on phones before, or I'd end up buying both. But it is Christmas time and my budget is not allowing me to pick up both, so I have to pick one.

Those are the very 2 phone I was torn between. There were 2 main reasons I decided on the V10. The main reason was durability. I was concerned about durability with the Note, being clad in glass front and back. I also seriously dislike putting a case on my phone. The other reason was the hands on. I was waiting for the V10 to come out, so I could get it in my hands and see if I physically liked the phone. That's where I was sold. As soon as I held it, I knew it was the one. I just simply love the feel of this phone. I'm also a fan of the rear facing buttons.....something I enjoyed when I had the LG G2 a couple years ago. So, in the end, the key factors that led me to the V10 were completely subjective....my love for the feel of this phone, and my disdain for cases. On a side note, I wasn't expecting to enjoy the V10 as much "in hand"....it was a very unexpected moment for me. I thought for sure I would be leaving that day with a Note 5

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Those are the very 2 phone I was torn between. There were 2 main reasons I decided on the V10. The main reason was durability. I was concerned about durability with the Note, being clad in glass front and back. I also seriously dislike putting a case on my phone. The other reason was the hands on. I was waiting for the V10 to come out, so I could get it in my hands and see if I physically liked the phone. That's where I was sold. As soon as I held it, I knew it was the one. I just simply love the feel of this phone. I'm also a fan of the rear facing buttons.....something I enjoyed when I had the LG G2 a couple years ago. So, in the end, the key factors that led me to the V10 were completely subjective....my love for the feel of this phone, and my disdain for cases. On a side note, I wasn't expecting to enjoy the V10 as much "in hand"....it was a very unexpected moment for me. I thought for sure I would be leaving that day with a Note 5

That's very helpful, thanks! I'm not a case person either, and from all the reviews I've seen, the Note 5 is slippery. I use an iPhone 6 Plus at times and that thing is like a bar of soap. I'm currently using the Moto X Pure and really like the way it feels, and it looks like the V10 will have a similar textured back, making it easy to grip.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Pretty on point review. I have always loved Samsung Notes, but they lag so bad. I feel the V10 takes everything Samsung does right and almost nothing they do wrong.

Capture+ is my best friend.

I love the keyboard, calendar, and email app.

Feels great in the hand and actual phone calls sound amazing.

Charles Collins

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Very nice write up and pretty well spot on with my thoughts. Another couple of pluses for me are the 4 GB of RAM, so important when you're running a skin. Also that you can encrypt if you want. I'd so like to unencrypt my Nexus 6, without flashing a custom ROM and or kernel.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
THIS x 1,000,000. Capture+ on second screen = fastest screenshots I've ever taken.

i used to love using the S-Pen on my various Note phones to take a screen shot and edit it. When I would leave Sammy for a Droid Turbo or Nexus 6, that and the keyboard & calendar were things i missed the most.

I tried various apps, but nothing quite got it.

I would say that LG got it right and even does it better

Edit to Add:

I also just tried QuickMemo+. I love a good note taking app, but there are lots of great ones. However QuickMemo+ has the options of adding reminders based on location or time. So it's basically replacing Any.Do for me now:)

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Edit to Add:
I also just tried QuickMemo+. I love a good note taking app, but there are lots of great ones. However QuickMemo+ has the options of adding reminders based on location or time. So it's basically replacing Any.Do for me now:)

Does QuickMemo+ sync with any note-taking desktop app? Say Evernote, Notes or Keep? I haven't even tried it assuming it wouldn't, which is why I use the mobile Evernote.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm