LG V10 or Moto X Pure Edition

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Debating between these two phones. Love Moto's voice actions and front facing speakers but also love the V10's camera and fingerprint sensor. Deal on Moto X ends today and deal on V10 ends soon. Any advice?

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Debating between these two phones. Love Moto's voice actions and front facing speakers but also love the V10's camera and fingerprint sensor. Deal on Moto X ends today and deal on V10 ends soon. Any advice?

See if you can get both physically in your hands......then you'll know which one you truly want. I love my V10, but I also do miss having Moto's software.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I needed a new phone, the Galaxy Note Edge had seen it's days. After searching around I was between the Moto X P.E., the Galaxy Note 5, and the Nexus 6P. I went with the Moto X Pure Edition based on the advice of the Tech Guys in my office. Those three are computer and phone geeks through-and-through ... and I love them for it ... and that's the phone they all bought, which surprised me as they're always buying different phones and competing with each other for the "Best Phone Bragging Rights".

Right out of the box I liked the Moto X P.E. I was able to set it up easily and tweak it to most of my preferences for how I use the phone. But right from the beginning I had issues with Typing or Swyping or Slyding when composing emails or texts. Words were being misspelled ... even replaced ... with words that not only weren't close to my entry, but significantly different.
Continually surfing the forums, I notice how many people are breaking their screens on small and insignificant drops with the insight being that although the glass is Gorilla 4 ... the edge of the glass rises above the side bezels and is exposed. Any impact to the edge of a glass is far more detrimental than a face impact ... and that explained all the broken screens ... along with why Moto includes an Edge Guard in the box with the phone.

After reading this, I was immediately apparent that while gripping the phone, my skin rides over the edge of the glass too. It can't be helped. After some testing, I found Typing/Swyping/Slyding to be perfect ... if I held or braced the phone in a manner where my fingers didn't touch the glass ... however ... that made for a rather unstable scenario (potential drops) and the inevitable broken screen. If I grabbed the phone in a secure manner ... my entries were skewed.

Since I was able to adjust the sensitivity on my Note Edge, I thought for sure I'd be able to do it with the Moto X P.E. ... alas, several hours on the phone with the Moto Tech Staff ... and they can't adjust particular areas of the screen without it affecting the whole screen ... and in summation ... i was told that was one of the "other" reasons it comes with an Edge Guard.

I for one don't see the reason to buy a phone and have to use ANY guard at all. I buy it for it's design. An efficient, productive tool to communicate and work with that is far superior to the old bulky phones from 15 years ago. Putting a case on it isn't it's design and I don't/won't do it. I've never put a case on any phone and I've only broken one screen - and that was from something hitting it while in my pocket .... which I was happy to get the screen fixed over having that same impact just four-and-a-half-inches toward the inseam of my jeans :- (

I really liked the Moto X P.E. It looks good with all that glass right to the edge, the software is good, the 'experience' is good, and I may be the only one to say this, but even Tech Support was a positive experience - but for me it's not functional.
Moto was good about it - they took back the phone and gave me a refund.

I went to the Verizon Store to play between the Note 5 and the Nexus 6P and ended up liking them both.
An hour into my playtime, the Store Nerd comes up, nicest guy I've ever met in a Verizon Store ... listens to my "wants and needs" ... then brings me over to the V10. Another hour later and it's the hands down favorite.

I'm 3 days in and I REALLY like this phone!

Hope that helps.

Tell us which one you ended up getting.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon Store to play between the Note 5 and the Nexus 6P and ended up liking them both.
An hour into my playtime, the Store Nerd comes up, nicest guy I've ever met in a Verizon Store ... listens to my "wants and needs" ... then brings me over to the V10. Another hour later and it's the hands down favorite.

I'm 3 days in and I REALLY like this phone!

Hope that helps.

Tell us which one you ended up getting.

Great post. I too have that same issue with the MXP, but I'm used to it now.

I order and receive a Note 5 on Wednesday. Arrived DOA. Took ti to the store, they were able to get it to boot up but it kept shutting down. I took it back home to play with it some more, got it to stay running all yesterday. Took the phone out of my pocket at 10:00 PM and it's dead. It had plenty of battery left at the time. Now it won't charge again, and won't turn on. And now, all my personal info is on it and I can't erase it.

I should have got the V10 all along like I wanted too, but figured I'd give Samsung one more try. Never again. Back to the store tonight to swap out for the V10.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Great post. I too have that same issue with the MXP, but I'm used to it now.

I order and receive a Note 5 on Wednesday. Arrived DOA. Took ti to the store, they were able to get it to boot up but it kept shutting down. I took it back home to play with it some more, got it to stay running all yesterday. Took the phone out of my pocket at 10:00 PM and it's dead. It had plenty of battery left at the time. Now it won't charge again, and won't turn on. And now, all my personal info is on it and I can't erase it.

I should have got the V10 all along like I wanted too, but figured I'd give Samsung one more try. Never again. Back to the store tonight to swap out for the V10.

Sorry you didn't have a positive experience ... but I'm glad you're trying the V10.

Look forward to your review in a few days.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you didn't have a positive experience ... but I'm glad you're trying the V10.

Look forward to your review in a few days.

Thanks. I really liked the Note 5, but initial impressions are everything. You can't go wrong with either phone, they are both really nice.

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It depends on what you want out of a phone. I have both phones. Here's what I think.

V10:

Better screen
Better camera
The second screen is pretty useful.
Very solid build quality.
Removable battery.
4 GB of RAM
Finger print scanner

More timely updates.
Runs pure Android with some added nice features
Better priced.
Better speakers.
Marshmallow OS.

Overall, I think they're both great phones. I personally prefer the V10 for the screen and camera but that doesn't mean it's the best choice for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084