How to Change Ringtone for Individual Contact

Longstone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just jumped back to Android after a decade of Windows phone (be patient) and I'm trying to change the ringtone for one of my contacts but when I find and edit their contact information the Ringtone ID is grey'd out and I can't edit it. What am I missing?

So I dug all through the settings and found Sound & Notification. When it went in there I found an option for Ringtone ID. No idea what it does other than allows me to set ringtones for Contacts, Favorites or Everyone. When I disabled it I was then able to provide custom ringtones for my contacts.

So can someone explain the concept of Ringtone ID to me? Is this an LG V10 thing or is it similar across the android ecosystem?

Last edited:

Android enquiry

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Go to contacts and open it, you will find the ringtone settings for an yh individual contacts.

Obviously, you did not read the post. The poster wrote that that feature was greyed out. Ergo, the purpose of the post was to find out how to do this if that function is greyed out.

Anyone?
~~

Last edited:

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Just jumped back to Android after a decade of Windows phone (be patient) and I'm trying to change the ringtone for one of my contacts but when I find and edit their contact information the Ringtone ID is grey'd out and I can't edit it. What am I missing?

So I dug all through the settings and found Sound & Notification. When it went in there I found an option for Ringtone ID. No idea what it does other than allows me to set ringtones for Contacts, Favorites or Everyone. When I disabled it I was then able to provide custom ringtones for my contacts.

So can someone explain the concept of Ringtone ID to me? Is this an LG V10 thing or is it similar across the android ecosystem?

That setting will randomly set different ringtones for different contacts.

Therefore, if you want to do that yourself, you must turn that feature off--as you discovered.