Torn: v10 or Get Another Phone, Suggestions??

MattKerney

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I got the LG v10 on Verizon last week and finally starting using it this week; only for a few times though (charged it up, got the phone ready w/ settings I want, turned off and waited until I had time to use it). This is my first LG smartphone experience, btw.

First off, I really like this phone! The removable battery, micro SD slot, and camera caught my eye. The second screen is different to get used to it, but I like it. Of course, I have been reading all of the reviews and comments from people about the battery issues. I've notice the battery drains really fast when using it. It reminded me of those HTC Thunderbolt days I had, where the battery would drain 10% within 5 minutes of using it lightly. I know it has only been a few days, but my opinion is I feel this is possibly but another Thunderbolt because of the battery issue. Only time will only tell though.

I have until Jan. 15 to return it and choose a different phone, which gives me time to decide what to do and see how the battery performs. I have been thinking if I choose to keep the v10, I should probably buy a few batteries (one is on the way from promo) to have and carry around. The problem I have with that is I don't really want to carry around batteries. I have never carried batteries with me for any of my phones. But the way phones are becoming with no micro SD slot or removable batteries, I'll probably suck up and carry batteries around to have the phone.

If I do return it, what phone should I get? I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S6 or the Note 5. Both seem to be good phones with good battery life. I do come from the S3/S5 and loved them both. Is there any suggestions?

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the V10 on Verizon and the battery is awesome. At first, it seemed like the battery wasn't to good. But after a week or so, the battery seemed to straighten out. Why, dont know, maybe it gets accustomed to how you use your phone. But if I would want, I could go 2 days without charging it at all. I charge it before I retire for the night, around 11-12; awake at 6 and percentage is at 96. at night, before I charge it percentage is around 75, so really don't need to charge it, but like being prepared since it is winter time......electricity outages. I do have to add, during the night I do check for text messages and emails from ill family members.......just in case.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well....if you like the removable battery and Micro SD card option, you can rule out current Sammy phones. Really though, your in the V10 forum...I don't think any of us are really looking to switch. As an aside, my son has an S6, I would never trade my V10 for an S6, I don't like the Sammy UI and the phone is too slippery for me.

MattKerney

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't mean to cause any online wars on here haha. I'm just worried about the battery on the v10 and just trying to get some input. Like I said, I really like the v10, but if doesn't do well, I'd probably would make a switch.

MattKerney

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
So, your battery life is pretty darn good then. I did find another person who said after the first couple of charging cycles, it straightens out. Thanks for your input.

Mama2Many

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree. My battery is doing much better after a couple weeks. Today I was using my phone pretty heavily all day and I came home and still had 37% battery. My old BlackBerry could never do that!

Posted via the Android Central App

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Just get a second or even third battery. It's removable so you don't need to stress about battery life. Just put a slim extra battery in your pocket and go about your day.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to cause any online wars on here haha. I'm just worried about the battery on the v10 and just trying to get some input. Like I said, I really like the v10, but if doesn't do well, I'd probably would make a switch.

I'll post my latest battery usage screen shots and you can see how well this phone can perform.

Attachments

• 1451234241735.jpg
    1451234241735.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 1451234251681.jpg
    1451234251681.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 1451234261141.jpg
    1451234261141.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 1451234269542.jpg
    1451234269542.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 1451234278151.jpg
    1451234278151.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 67

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I wrote a review of the V-10 and posted it today. Hope you read it. I also have a galaxy note 2, note 4,and galaxy s6 edge. The note 2 is a bit behind the times now but still a great phone. My note 4 is awesome and still one of the best phones I've ever owned. I got the s6 edge as a gift. It's a great device also, but with limited storage, and non-replaceable battery, it's no device for a moderate to heavy user. If the size of your V - 10 is to your liking, keep it. It's the top all around phone right now.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm also on Verizon and use the phone a LOT MORE than you do and I don't have that kind of battery drain.

I'd find a way to exchange it at the Verizon store and see if this is your experience with another phone with a different battery.

You're not the first to complain of battery life ... but more of us are having a positive battery experience than are not, so maybe it's just that particular phone.

I tried one of the others on your list and prefer this phone over that one and all the others I test drove.

Hope that helps ... good luck with whatever choice you make - but I hope it's to exchange for a new V10.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So, your battery life is pretty darn good then. I did find another person who said after the first couple of charging cycles, it straightens out. Thanks for your input.

Matt, do you have an Outlook or Hotmail acct?

dbmcelroy

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
2 suggestions for your battery issue:
One use qualcom Battery Guru app. It helps manage battery life.
Second, power cycle the battery 3 times. Drain the battery all the way down through use or through a battery drain app. Then charge it with the power off. repeat this 3 times.

I get better battery life than I had with the G2. no less than 30 % at the end of the day. see if Battery Guru and powercycling the battery helps you. I hope they do. I would like to know if they helped you.

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Loving my V10. Only flaw I can see is the side rails being slippery in my grip. I got it yesterday morning. Set it up and it immediately applied the 5.1.1 upgrade from Verizon. I have been setting everything the way I like it. It's fast. Say what you want about the Android Facebook app, but it blows away the Windows version. My battery has been lasting well on the charge.