My review of the magnificent V-10

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Good day, and happy holidays to all. Lets start from the very beginning. Way back when the first IPhone came out, we all wanted one. Only problem was tech genius Steve Jobs made the biggest corporate blunder in U. S. history by giving AT&T exclusive rights to his device for too long a period of time. So, all of a sudden android enters the picture, and is an instant sensation worldwide. So I purchased the first Moto Droid and I'm hooked even though I run all Mac computers at home. From the moto droid, to the droid 2,bionic, then I went to Samsung for the wonderful note 2. I. Gave up on Motorola because their phones couldn't successfully handle android system updates wothout slowing to a snails pace. Sammys note 2 was an awesome device. Fastest phone at the time, 16gb on board, MICRO SD SLOT, AND SWAPABLE BATTERY. (you remember those two things) . From the 2, I went to the note 4 which I still have and its still an incredible device. And yes, I believe it is Samsungs last great smartphone. I was all set for the note 5 but was horrified when Samsung ignored their customer requirements that a top tier phone MUST have an SD slot, and if not a removable battery, at least one big enough to get me through the day. So it was time to look elsewhere and all of a sudden the V-10 came into being. When I first looked at this phone, I was able to do a side-by-side comparison with my note 4. In almost all categories, it matched or beat it hands down. This phone was fast, even with the snapdragon 808,and not the 810. The 4gb of ram makes sure of that. The audio is sensational, even with the stock music player. The camera, well there's a reason why it's called the best in the business bar none, iPhone included. Wifi hookup and phone calls have been trouble free. Battery life, for me, has been excellent. Build quality? Well, have you ever heard the expression "built like a battleship"? That's an apt description. SOLID, SOLID, SOLID. What about that second screen? Is it a gimmck? You'll always have a difference of opinion here, but for me it's no gimmck. It is a very useful tool. There's no need for a notification light, because this" ticker " serves as the notification, but going a step further. It lets you know what king of notification you have without the need to light up the entire screen. You have control of your music player, can see your last few apps that you used, get your weather forecast, and more, all at a glance without lighting up your screen. So, any drawbacks to this beast? Absolutely, only 2 that I have noticed. 1-as I stated, it's a beast, and not everyone will want a phone this large. But thats personal preference. And 2, LG, please listen. As good as that lcd screen is on its own, samsungs super amoled display makes the V-10 screen seem washed out. So, if you are a tech junkie, and want the current top smartphone, the V-10 is the only way to go especially if you are a heavy user, need to get through the day without pulling out a charger, and need globs of storage.

Posted via Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with everything except the screen.

The colors aren't washed out at all, in fact they are more accurately shown on my v10 as opposed to my note 5.

What they aren't is vivid. Big difference between the two.

There is one other thing about the screen.. It doesn't give me nearly as much eye strain as what the amoled screen does.

Otherwise good review.

Mac

Posted from my. AT&T LG V10

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything except the screen.

The colors aren't washed out at all, in fact they are more accurately shown on my v10 as opposed to my note 5.

What they aren't is vivid. Big difference between the two.

There is one other thing about the screen.. It doesn't give me nearly as much eye strain as what the amoled screen does.

Otherwise good review.

Mac

Posted from my. AT&T LG V10

I agree.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm in agreement with the OP ... and I too feel the screen is just as good as the new Sammy line up. Brighter is not better.

I love the phone ... and if I had a complaint ... it's that Verizon has locked down so much of the phone and the options that LG offers that it's hurting the LG experience for Verizon users .. which doesn't help either company ... and for me, makes me hate Verizon more than I already do.

Good post/review.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
To be fair, VZW is the king of putting the chastity belt on any phone they provide for their network. Any VZW customer knows that by now.

That alone has kept me from VZW. I'm on T-Mobile. I like their business practices. VZW may have great coverage, but you pay for that in many ways more than just the monthly fee. Your experience is a good example.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
To be fair, VZW is the king of putting the chastity belt on any phone they provide for their network. Any VZW customer knows that by now.

That alone has kept me from VZW. I'm on T-Mobile. I like their business practices. VZW may have great coverage, but you pay for that in many ways more than just the monthly fee. Your experience is a good example.

You're absolutely correct!

However, I travel and drive quite a bit and Verizon OWNS the highways and bi-ways in this country. I've tried them all, and Verizon just has the best coverage for calling someone and staying on the phone - sometimes for an hour or so on a highway drive.

I PRAY for the day when this is no longer an issue for me and I can switch away from Verizon!

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
You know, while I don't drive around extensively, I do drive around a decent amount--and I always find myself pleasantly surprised at having T-Mobile voice coverage wherever I go (major freeways). I've often thought how there's really no need for that VZW security blanket that everyone traditionally talks about. (And PagePlus Cellular with a cheap flip phone could handle that if you really can't do without that security blanket...)

kerc

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I prefer the LCD. Truer colors and I don't have to worry about burnout. My 2014 Moto X was already showing a different color on the bottom bar and notification bar.

Posted via the Android Central App

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
You know, while I don't drive around extensively, I do drive around a decent amount--and I always find myself pleasantly surprised at having T-Mobile voice coverage wherever I go (major freeways). I've often thought how there's really no need for that VZW security blanket that everyone traditionally talks about. (And PagePlus Cellular with a cheap flip phone could handle that if you really can't do without that security blanket...)

I wish I had the same experience. Where/What area of this marble (Country/State/City) do you live Adam?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Nice review! :)

I always like to see reviews from regular users, not just tech bloggers.

This should help anyone who is considering getting the V-10.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I drive around Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky/Illinois, and even over to western PA, and have yet to see any problems to speak of with T-Mobile voice service. And I've been known to get on the phone for an hour or two myself during those drives.

Data stinks, yeah. We know and expect that. But McD's is everywhere should I really need a fix.

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I drive around Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky/Illinois, and even over to western PA, and have yet to see any problems to speak of with T-Mobile voice service. And I've been known to get on the phone for an hour or two myself during those drives.

Data stinks, yeah. We know and expect that. But McD's is everywhere should I really need a fix.

LOLOL

I do the NY City to Outer Banks, NC run and along Route 95, there are some dead zones for my brothers on all the other carriers, but none for me, even after I get off Route 95 and head east toward Morehead City/Emerald Isle, NC.
Same when cutting through NC up to Chicagoland.

I'm out in the Huntington Beach, CA area a fair amount and I know AT&T rules the hills by the beach and then I'm the one without signal.

OH Well ... whatever works, right!?!

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I own the S6 Edge plus right now that I absolutely love but I would say that I personally prefer the V10 display just cause of the color accuracy but the edge+ is definitely brighter and gets dimmer too.

Posted via the Android Central App