Is the v10 a GREAT phone with a bonus screen, or a so-so phone with a second screen gimmicks?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Im coming from a galaxy note 2, then 4,and s6 edge. The note 4 is my all time favorite. Im going to keep it. With this being said, it will be my backup phone. I did a side by side comparison with the 4 and v10. The v10 was just as fast. True they picked the 808 and with good reason. The 810 was very problematic at the time. There were globs of overheating issues with many devices. But by giving the v10 4 gigs of ram backing up the 808, the phone is fast and smooth. Also, im having great luck with battery life. Im a moderate to heavy user. When moderate, I usually have about 30-35% left at bedtime when I plug in. When ive had a heavy day, i can still make it to bedtime, but only about 10%remaining. Ive never had to juice it up during the day. I do agree that it should have run marshmallow out of the box though . As for the second screen, i love it. Its a very useful tool for me. When i get a message, a quick glance tells me where its coming from. Listening to music, I can control the music player right from the second screen. All without having to power up the big screen. And lets not forget the 64gb of on board storage BACKED UP BY A MICRO SD CARD. And if necessary, a swappable battery.

Posted via Android Central App

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The V10 is a fantastic with the extra battery and cradle. Without it its absolutely not worth it cause battery life really isn't good to say the least.

Posted via the Android Central App

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
The LG V10 is very good. In some ways, it's better than the Note 5, and in other ways, it's worse.

In favor of the Samsung Note 5 - better battery life with more screen-on time; S-Pen; brighter screen; smaller less-bulky body; hardware buttons, giving you full access to all screen space (LG V10 navigation buttons use screen space, though there is an option to auto-hide them for different application); Touchwiz UI skin is slightly better than LG UI (this is subjective); slightly better camera image quality (again, subjective)

In favor of the LG V10 - Second screen with notifications (also serves as mode selector for camera); doesn't have the aggressive memory management issues that the Note 5 has (this is a pretty critical difference); LG V10 doesn't slow down over time like the Note 5 seems to; better camera application; manual video controls; better audio output via headphones; better overall stability than Note 5 (at least based on my own observations); rugged body construction; removable battery; ability to add a micro-SD card for extra storage

There is also one other difference that doesn't get much discussion - text is smaller on the Note 5 screen, whereas on the V10, it's larger. Some positives for each approach - you see less on the screen at one time on the LG V10, but the text is larger and easier to read. For the Note 5, the text is smaller, making it harder to read, but allowing you to see more at one time. This is very subjective, but I prefer the LG V10 in this area. Others may prefer the way the Note 5 handles in this regard.

LG V10 tip - Go to Settings > Display > Home touch buttons > Hide Home touch buttons. Here, you can select the applications where the home buttons will auto-hide themselves, so that the entire screen is allocated to the application itself.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't own the V10 yet, I will probably within the next couple week. I am coming from the Note Edge. It has a very useful (to me and the almost 8,000 users on my facebook group.) 2nd panel. And not like the S6 Edge. I broke my Edge and the insurance company is just going to send me a check to cover a new one. I decided on the V10 based on reviews. Several things that reviewers seem to neglect. Like battery time. The Note 5 last longer. True, but with it's non-replaceable battery, it now takes an hour or two to charge back to full. Whereas the V10, I will be able to change the battery in a mere minute or two if I have gloves on. Second is the dumb benchmarks. Give me a break, if the Note 5 failed, I would be surprised and probably pass out in disbelief!! I mean t has a 8 core processor compaired to V10's 6 core. In my opinion, 8 will always top 6. Camera seems to be almost the same, but the software in the LG has more controls. I can't wait to pick up this beast!!

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
8 is a bigger number than 6, nothing more. A bigger number is only bigger, it's not better. Only a better system is better.

SteveC

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I have had the V 10 for about a month. When I started thinking of a phone, I was initially focused on the Nexus 5X , 6P, and the Moto X Pure Edition. These three because of the no bloatware from Verizon and from any manufacturer "skin". That and the update scenario from Google. I'll be surprised if we see Marshmallow from Verizon before the 4th of July. As it happened I was in the Verizon store I use and happened to ask if they had a functioning V 10. They did, and the thing felt designed for my hands. Felt right, built like a tank, removable battery and expandable storage, 4 gb RAM. So Verizon issues aside (they are basically my only real choice for the coverage where I need it), I pulled the trigger.

I really have no idea why this phone is not a far more serious contender for the top Android phone in any of the review sites. The ONLY thing this thing needs to be the best Android phone if to have the Nexus software loadout, or a similar layout to Motorola and how they handle the OS and updates. Some would argue against this due to the Snapdragon 808 instead of the 810, but the 808 is no slouch and is more capable than 95% of what users will ever need.

So your answer is A. There is nothing sub par about the V 10. My only gripe is that is does not have the ability to hold weaker WiFi signals as well as the LG G3.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
8 is a bigger number than 6, nothing more. A bigger number is only bigger, it's not better. Only a better system is better.

The 8 core CPU in the Note 5 will always beat the benchmark test on a 6 core CPU. Just numbers is true, but all the reviews I see keep pointing to the fact that the Note 5 benchmark is HIGHER!! I'm just saying is that should always be. I have yet to see a benchmark where a 6 core would beat a 8 core. But to me, that is irrelevant to the speed of the phone. And shouldn't even be brought up in reviews unless you are comparing two different 8 core CPU's.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
A benchmark test is not a system that you use. So what if the benchmark makes bigger numbers? Bigger numbers are only bigger--they're not better, and they don't indicate better. Only better is better.

And only a better system is a better system.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
What he said about what he said about what he said.

You sound like my wife. So let me interpret for everyone. He said, what you are saying, which I agree with, because you are basically saying what he said, based off of what I said. For those of you not married and still don't understand, just nod your head up and down to her, look interested and move along. Damn it! I think we went off topic.

J_appoll

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
It's A.. Not B..

I had the Note 5.. gave it to my wife.. Before that I had the S6 Active.. gave that to my son..

While both were excellent phones neither of them are as nice as my v10.. and no the second screen isn't a gimmicky thing at all.

The camera is better than any other smartphone.. and the sound quality is too IMHO.

The only complaint I have is the speaker volume and that really is a minor complaint.

I switch through several screens and have no issues..

Buy it.. You'll be glad you did

Couldn't agree more!...gave the g4 to my wife and I'm loving this beauty!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... Yes, I'm familiar with the second screen.... I am curious how convenient it is have the icons for the most recently used apps always available in the second screen....

Thanks again!

The second screen is in the same vane as the Google home screen in Windows 10. It's convenient and doesn't affect the phone's performance. It's not a huge deal, but it is nice to have. I like it.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12