LGV10 Polarized Sunglasses issue?

jeepangel34

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello forum! I am a new user and just recently (yesterday) purchased the LG V10. I love it so far except for 1 issue...whenever i put on my Maui Jim's my screen pretty much goes black. Is this normal? Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately polarized glasses (which means yours are actually good and doing their job!) do tend to have that effect con LCDs :(

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately polarized glasses (which means yours are actually good and doing their job!) do tend to have that effect con LCDs :(

That's right. If you want to see your screen with polarized glasses rotate the phone to landscape mode and you'll be fine. Kind of cool, huh? :)

jeepangel34

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the link! This is something that I did not know. I had a Samsung Note3 before the LG V10 and didn't have that issue. Guess the screens are different.

jeepangel34

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
That's right. If you want to see your screen with polarized glasses rotate the phone to landscape mode and you'll be fine. Kind of cool, huh? :)

What is strange to me is that if I rotate into landscape mode it happens but i tried portrait and it was dim but not as bad.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the link! This is something that I did not know. I had a Samsung Note3 before the LG V10 and didn't have that issue. Guess the screens are different.

Yeah, xxLED displays work differently, they "light" every pixel individually. LCD displays have a backlight always on and there is a filter grid on top of it, kind of polarising the light you see, and your glasses will stop them.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
As others have said, it is normal behavior with LCD screens and polarized glasses, not a defect. Most phone screens have some degree of polarization as well and when seen in combination with lenses whos polarization is 180 degrees off from your phone screen, it will look like your screen is blank.

I have this problem with my phone and my nav screen on my cars nav system with some of my sunglasses. I do have and expensive pair of Serengetti driving glasses that do not cause a problem with either of my screens.

David

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
You should see the same thing happening at ATM's if you have ever used them. You CAN just tilt your head sideways! LOL... I quit my polarized sunglass lenses... I just use my photograys (transitions) now.