Very slow copying to SDCard

HellDiver

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
What is the transfer time you guys are seeing when transferring files to the sdcard? Mine is excruciatingly slow... I mean as in 15-20 seconds per meg of transfer. I've been moving 2 gigs of photos over and it has been working on it for a LONG time with only 17% complete.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Transfer speed is most heavily based on the class/speed rating of the card, size of the card, volume of information being transferred, type of formatting and the speed of the memory location that the data is coming from. That said, normal speeds from sd cards should vary between 2 and 10 MB/s, so a 2GB transfer should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 to 17 minutes. Some of the fastest UHS II cards could do it in 50 - 60 seconds.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And it depends on whether you're transferring from internal storage or from an external device (like a computer). Transfer over USB (even USB 3.0) is fast as far as burst speed, but agonizingly slow as far as throuput, with a lot of drivers. (IOW, each MB goes really fast, but then there's a LONG time until the next one is transferred.) I find that it's much faster (20 times faster or mor) to plug the card into the computer and transfer files that way. (Most computers have at least an SD slot these days. - just put the microSD card into an SD adapter - it should have come with one.)

SaintlySins

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Both Assassin Droid and Rukbat's answers are the combo to getting the fastest transfers.

There are a fair amount of cards that just have a slow write speed - combine that with how you're loading the card and that's the answer.

Like Rukbat said ... the best way to transfer large amounts of data is to load the card directly into your computer and transfer that way. Saves a ton of time ... including the time it takes to turn off the phone, pull the card, load, reinsert the card into the phone and boot it back up.

Good luck with your transfers.

HellDiver

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys....but I was copying pics from my internal storage to the SD Card (The one provided as an incentive for early purchase.) The transfer rate was seriously about 15-20 seconds PER MB.

There wasn't an option to copy from anywhere else :) When something is on my internal storage, like pics that I took before the MicroSD was delivered... that is the only place I can start.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys....but I was copying pics from my internal storage to the SD Card (The one provided as an incentive for early purchase.) The transfer rate was seriously about 15-20 seconds PER MB.

There wasn't an option to copy from anywhere else :) When something is on my internal storage, like pics that I took before the MicroSD was delivered... that is the only place I can start.

If it is an option, it might be faster to download to a PC and then upload to the SD card - but that's obviously more steps required than just copying.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams