What is the correct way to deal with ringtones on this phone?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
On my last 3 phones, (all Samsung), I was able to see and choose any ringtones I downloaded automatically. Just download and they would appear on my list in any app that used notifications.

With my V10 when I download, they do not show up in my list. I can find them using Astro file manager, (in the download folder I think), but I can't find the correct place to put them so they stick. I have copied them to a ringtone folder I find but they still don't show up. In an app, when choosing a ringtone, if I go to the option in the list to look in "Music", then I find them and can set the ones I want. But later the apps will have defaulted back to some system ringtone.

What I think should work is to download ringtones, and when I go to an app to set a ring or notification, I want the downloaded ringtones to show up in the regular list of ringtones along with the ones that are on the phone by default.

For example, to set the main notification sound in Handcent, or "Next" as it is now called, you do the following: Open Handcent and go to >> Settings>>Notification Settings>>Customize the Notifications>>Notification Sound. From there you can choose a ringtone either from "Media Storage" or Music. The ones in the Media Storage location seem to stick just fine when set. But all that is in that list are the default ones that come with the phone and I can't seem to get my downloaded tones in to that list. If I choose from the "Music" location, my downloaded tones are there, but setting to one of them does not stick long term.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Not able to check right now...but try to make a folder called...notifications

Posted via the Android Central App

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Make a folder where? What I think is really needed is to have the added ringtones in the same location as the default ringtones? That way they all show up in one list from which you can choose. They should also stick that way. But I am sure there are many V10 users who download ringtones and use them successfully in the various apps that use them. If a few of those people can explain how they do it, that should solve my issue.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded some ringtones and notification sounds, and I stuck them in the Ringtones and the Notifications folders. True, I had to manually move them. So be it.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded some ringtones and notification sounds, and I stuck them in the Ringtones and the Notifications folders. True, I had to manually move them. So be it.

And they show up in your list so you can choose them and they stick for you? I put them in those folders, but they did not show up in the list of ringtones. What is strange is that there are at least a dozen or so default ringtones that show up in the list but none of those are in the ringtones or the notifications folders. I can't find where they are. Searching does not show them. I have to think that if I can figure out where the default ringtones are and put my downloaded ones in the same place, then I will be able to use them. But maybe it does not work like that? Maybe the default tones are in some sort of hidden or inaccessible folder?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know where the default ringtones live. But the ones I added to those folders work fine and show up in the list.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know where the default ringtones live. But the ones I added to those folders work fine and show up in the list.

Odd that is works for you and not on mine. Maybe I'll connect the V10 to the computer today and organize the files that way. Perhaps there is something about doing it with Astro file manager that leaves the ringtone files not recognizable by the phone.

mbryanr

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine work fine downloaded from Zedge. They just show up in the list with the default ringtones. All mp3 files.
dab55cd1db9a3e01622d19e2240e0ebe.jpg
62ee419a103da5495f7ab7e32d37c882.jpg
7467cede5f5d2ab0afcd40695cd1e6e2.jpg

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine work fine downloaded from Zedge.

Do you go to Zedge on the phone browser and download that way. Or are you doing it from somewhere in the settings? My problem may be that I have been doing it the 1st way and it they just download into the "Download" folder and do not show up in the list. I have been trying to them move them into ringtone and notification folders but they don't always show up.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
From the Zedge app...
Posted from my LG V10

Thanks! I installed Zedge and downloaded the ones I wanted. They now show up in my list and work just fine. Using the app is the way to go rather than just finding a tone in the browser and then downloading and moving into what I thought was the right folder. The app just works automatically. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995