GMAIL app unified email issue

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I have three email accounts. Outlook, Yahoo, and GMAIL.
I had GMAIL set up through the stock application set up through the phone setup wizard.
When I added the other accounts the setup wizard combined them in the " Email" application.
I decided to use the GMAIL app as advertised for my other two accounts. I entered them into the configuration.
Problem - I have an email STUCK in the application for the Yahoo account. I delete it, and it just comes back!
So I check the website for Yahoo mail and the message is gone. Not there.
Then I received a bunch of Google updates this morning, and could not use my phone at all. It piped up a toaster message, "Google app has stopped". Then later, "Google Keep has stopped". I had to power the phone off and back on to recover from that.

Maybe I will just use each mail vendor's application instead.

Suggestions?

David W. Mitchell
Posted from LG V10 via Android Central app...

wcharon

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, i wanted to use the stock email but ended using both. Why? Because the vendors email receive the emails about 5 minutes earlier than the stock and because i depend on the email for my business and don't want to miss an email. That's just me, but if you have to choose one i recommend the vendors emails.

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe clear the cache/data from the apps and it'll clear up for you... I use gmail primarily myself... but for my other accounts like yahoo/aol/hotmail i use the outlook app... works pretty good...

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, I loaded up each vendor's application (Outlook, Yahoo) and find I cannot set the update interval for them. They default to push on message receipt. That takes a heavy toll on the battery. I like teh email to update when I check it, and only then.

So I guess I have to deal with the issues of Yahoo stuck messages in the GMail app, or go back to using the default "EMail" app that combines Yahoo & Outlook accounts...

I DO have Touchdown app registered, maybe it will configure up with the Outlook.com account and will allow me to set the refresh interval. I will try that.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
If your Outlook account is setup as EWS or IMAP and not as ActiveSync, there's several apps you can use to combine all your accounts in one place. However, Yahoo and Microsoft stupidly do not support the standard IMAP IDLE command for push email and immediate notification. Gmail does support push. Microsoft only has push with ActiveSync. If you could use push email instead of update intervals (aka polling) you could save considerable battery power plus get instant notifications.

But to get push email, you have to use the Yahoo app for that and the Outlook app for that or an ActiveSync capable email app like Touchdown or Nine. But, those don't handle anything else - no Gmail, etc.

Obviously, there's no real solution when using services like Outlook and Yahoo that refuse to follow standards. The best you can do is if ActiveSync is not available or required for your Outlook account, you can set it up as an IMAP account and use K-9, Maildroid or my favorite, ÀquaMail to unify all your accounts in one place. You'll be able to use push for Gmail and other IMAP accounts.

One other thing you could do. Have email from your Outlook and Yahoo accounts forwarded to Gmail so they can be treated as Gmail with the advantages of Gmail, including, of course, push email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair