What are the V10 owner's thoughts on the G5?

fwaits

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Love my V10, the form factor is better IMO than the G5, though some could argue perhaps removing the 2nd screen. I like having the notifications pop up there, and the always-on time and shortcuts. For the hardcore paper specs people, they will always want to upgrade every 6 months, for me, this phone is super fast, a great looking, durable body, and does everything it needs to and more. No need to change for me anytime soon.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
So is this friend part of an internal testing group?

T-Mobile still lists the V10 as manufacturer development and there hasn't been any confirmation of MM on the V10 in the wild.
Not a clue...he's just someone in my V10 group on Facebook I chat with occasionally. He could be part of a beta team or something. He didn't say that though. Maybe they started pushing it to some users as a test and didn't update their development page?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Not a clue...he's just someone in my V10 group on Facebook I chat with occasionally. He could be part of a beta team or something. He didn't say that though. Maybe they started pushing it to some users as a test and didn't update their development page?

Interesting. I would think if it was being pushed via OTA in the wild, even if it was a small group, there would be mentions of it. Your post is the first I've seen it mentioned.

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I would think if it was being pushed via OTA in the wild, even if it was a small group, there would be mentions of it. Your post is the first I've seen it mentioned.
Personally I think the person is confusing the G4 and the V10. MM just got pushed to the G4 last week.

swtrainer#AC

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had a V10 for several months now - moved from the G4 to the V10 and prior to that several iterations of the Galaxy Note line. The V10 is by far the best I've had. I love the back volume buttons because it doesn't turn volume up or down by accidentally touching the side volume rocker. For that reason alone, I'll never consider the G5. I like the 2nd screen on the V10 and don't understand why they didn't continue (in some fashion) the 2nd screen on the G5. I also am not a fan of all metal body. The non-slip back of the V10 is far superior and eliminates the fingerprint problems of other metal or glass backs. I think the G5 took a step backwards in my opinion. As far as the LG skinning, I am a Nova Launcher user and go with that on whatever phone I use. So, that isn't an issue one way or the other. In total, the G5 does not excite me. Perhaps the next iteration of the V11 or whatever they call it will be a different story, but the G5 is a non-starter.

swtrainer#AC

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Love the V10. Love the back volume buttons. Love the 2nd screen. Love the non-slip, rugged design. Love the large screen. None of that is there in the G5. End of story. Never will I consider the G5.

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
There's nothing about the G5 that would tempt me away from the V10. The V10 has it all - great design, large screen, fantastic camera with awesome video, and great sound quality.
I'm not yet sold on the idea of modules for the G5 - it seems a bit clumsy to me. The camera module doesn't really add much (at least with the s7 there are add-on lenses), and the DAC add-on only makes the G5 have the same (or similar) audio quality of the V10.
I also prefer the second screen to the always on screen (although that's also nice) of the G5 and apparently the battery drain of the second screen is also lower.

hockeymn25

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My verizon V10 is easily the best phone ive ever owned, and I use it as a phone. Its signal strength never lets me down like phones ive had in the past. Unless someone really ups the ante, which is getting harder to do by the day, I will be staying with my V10. I havent even looked at any new releases which tells me all I need to know about my V10.

jo3see

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
This is my first LG device (the V10). For some reason I never took LG seriously because Samsung and Motorola were the only Android devices to even consider for longevity. I suffer from:

1. The second screen LCD bleeding
2. The failed fingerprint scanner working while the case is on.
3. You can't change the ridiculously large LCD density on the main screen. Not only is this screen bigger, but I actually see less on the screen at one time than my S6. From everything that I'm reading, rooting and changing this causes FC's upon boot.
4. I'm disappointed that the camera takes so long compared to the S6. Being a flagship device with a camera sensor as HQ as the LG V10, I was hoping the shutter lag was null.
5. Also not happy about the battery life with just the stock apps. I still have to carry an extra battery in my wallet to get through a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my other issues? I've tried every case that T-Mobile and AT&T sells for my phone and all of them hinder the use of the Fingerprint reader.

Sorry for the digression! I don't see much of an advantage of the G5 over the V10 that would sway me into trading it in. I actually enjoy the volume and power on the rear of the device. Now if it were water resistant and had one of these new modules that was nothing but a beefier battery, then I'd reconsider. It would resolve the fingerprint issue, battery life and potentially the LCD density as the physical screen is smaller.

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
This is my first LG device (the V10). For some reason I never took LG seriously because Samsung and Motorola were the only Android devices to even consider for longevity. I suffer from:

1. The second screen LCD bleeding
2. The failed fingerprint scanner working while the case is on.
3. You can't change the ridiculously large LCD density on the main screen. Not only is this screen bigger, but I actually see less on the screen at one time than my S6. From everything that I'm reading, rooting and changing this causes FC's upon boot.
4. I'm disappointed that the camera takes so long compared to the S6. Being a flagship device with a camera sensor as HQ as the LG V10, I was hoping the shutter lag was null.
5. Also not happy about the battery life with just the stock apps. I still have to carry an extra battery in my wallet to get through a day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my other issues? I've tried every case that T-Mobile and AT&T sells for my phone and all of them hinder the use of the Fingerprint reader.

Sorry for the digression! I don't see much of an advantage of the G5 over the V10 that would sway me into trading it in. I actually enjoy the volume and power on the rear of the device. Now if it were water resistant and had one of these new modules that was nothing but a beefier battery, then I'd reconsider. It would resolve the fingerprint issue, battery life and potentially the LCD density as the physical screen is smaller.

1. Second screen bleed - is this really an issue for you? I only notice this if the room is pitch black, and to me this is unavoidable - afterall, it's not actually a second screen it's part of the main LCD so light bleed is inevitable.
2. Can't comment as don't use a case but have you tried setting up the fingerprint with the case on?
3. I actually like the density coming from the Note 4 where there was so much wasted space. I agree it'd be nice if there was an option to change this though.
4. I don't find the camera lag that bad - I think the issue may be down to focussing, this is more of an issue in low light. One way to get around this is to shoot in manual mode and select manual focus - it's near instant then. Or think about shooting 4k footage and capturing screen grabs - this is a great way to get fantastic looking 8mp photos with zero effort.
5. I agree battery life isn't great - with light use I can just about get through the day - on the plus side I can charge at work and this thing charges mighty fast!

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with my V10. I have no desire to have a G5. If they come up with some significant improvements in the next V?, I might consider upgrading to it. But, if not, I'm happy with what I have.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
What's wrong with simply using the Google launcher, or any other launcher that *does* have an app drawer?

I fail to see the need for outrage here. So LG's launcher doesn't have a feature; find a launcher that does.

Is all the G5 app drawer hand-wringing just much ado about absolutely nothing, serving only as clickbait fodder for the ravenous internet machine that can never be satiated?

I like the Google launcher on my V10. I have to assume it will work just as well on another high end LG phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae