Slo Motion Not working

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Got the V10. Tried recording slo-mo last night while camping. I use Google Photos as my default viewer and I know it won't play slo-mo videos. I opened the video in gallery and still no slo-mo. No way of speeding up/slowing down. It also recorded sound, which I thought it doesn't do when recording in slo-mo.

Don't know what's up.

Thanks.

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Anyone? I've seen that others have had this issue elsewhere but haven't found a solution to the problem yet.

Is anyone out there able to actually record a slo-mo video?

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I've recorded several slo-mo videos and played them back thru gallery with no problem.

Thanks. I must be missing something, however, it seems pretty straight forward. I go into the camera app and select slo-mo, record, then open in Gallery for playback. But no slo-mo. No control to select speed...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the stock Gallery app to view the video? I don't think it'll work with any other movie player, so try clearing defaults and use the stock player.

Posted via the Android Central App

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Are you using the stock Gallery app to view the video? I don't think it'll work with any other movie player, so try clearing defaults and use the stock player.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes I am. What bothers me is there is sound with it. My understanding is the phone doesn't record sound when recoding slo-mo.

I don't see any other settings in the camera app for slo-mo to change.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am. What bothers me is there is sound with it. My understanding is the phone doesn't record sound when recoding slo-mo.

I don't see any other settings in the camera app for slo-mo to change.

Yep, I went back and looked at a couple of my videos

Edit: whoops, I take that back. I played the videos in OneDrive not using the gallery app and they play regular speed with sound. In the gallery app they play in slo mo with no sound.

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Yep, I went back and looked at a couple of my videos

Edit: whoops, I take that back. I played the videos in OneDrive not using the gallery app and they play regular speed with sound. In the gallery app they play in slo mo with no sound.

Hmm, I can't figure this out and it's really annoying.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I can't figure this out and it's really annoying.

first let me say that my understanding is that it is a post effect, meaning that the phone is actually recording in normal speed thus the recorded sound. the 120 fps playback only happens with the video player. anyway here's what works for me...

open the camera app.

choose the AUTO camera

go to MODE

choose SLO MO

record a video

exit the camera

open GALLERY (on my phone the icon is a white square with red and blue overlapping triangles in it).

open CAMERA to see the pictures and videos you've shot with the camera.

click on your video. a pop up window opens. choose VIDEO (it's a green box on my phone). this should play your video in slo-mo. it does mine. i also bought an app called VIDEO SHOW that allows you to adjust video speed amongst other things. highly recommend.

good luck!

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
first let me say that my understanding is that it is a post effect, meaning that the phone is actually recording in normal speed thus the recorded sound. the 120 fps playback only happens with the video player. anyway here's what works for me...

open the camera app.

choose the AUTO camera

go to MODE

choose SLO MO

record a video

exit the camera

open GALLERY (on my phone the icon is a white square with red and blue overlapping triangles in it).

open CAMERA to see the pictures and videos you've shot with the camera.

click on your video. a pop up window opens. choose VIDEO (it's a green box on my phone). this should play your video in slo-mo. it does mine. i also bought an app called VIDEO SHOW that allows you to adjust video speed amongst other things. highly recommend.

good luck!

I'm able to do everything you do...until I get into the Gallery App. No popup window, it just plays the video at normal speed. No slo-mo.

Tried it again last night. Same thing. Very annoying.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm able to do everything you do...until I get into the Gallery App. No popup window, it just plays the video at normal speed. No slo-mo.

Tried it again last night. Same thing. Very annoying.

you may have selected that as a default app at some point. i have a good or bad habit of not ticking the "use as default" box. maybe someone or somewhere else can tell you how to choose a different app as your default if thats the problem. i just tried it again and here is the screen i get from the white box with red and blue triangles GALLERY...(forgive the sloppy doodling over a model's face)

Screenshot_2016-03-28-05-55-06.jpg

followed by...as you can see on the right side of the screen there is a speed control for playback speed.

Screenshot_2016-03-28-05-56-03.jpg

also have you tried shooting as described above then opening in video show app? that should also work as i believe the 120 fps recording is encoded in the clip. i am certainly no expert though.

good luck!

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
you may have selected that as a default app at some point. i have a good or bad habit of not ticking the "use as default" box. maybe someone or somewhere else can tell you how to choose a different app as your default if thats the problem. i just tried it again and here is the screen i get from the white box with red and blue triangles GALLERY...(forgive the sloppy doodling over a model's face)

View attachment 222421

followed by...as you can see on the right side of the screen there is a speed control for playback speed.

View attachment 222420

also have you tried shooting as described above then opening in video show app? that should also work as i believe the 120 fps recording is encoded in the clip. i am certainly no expert though.

good luck!
Ok, I know what you're talking about now. I use Google Photos as my default app. It shouldn't matter what my default app is if I'm opening it in Gallery. I don't have a Video app on the phone.

Strange thing is, I went into the video I did the other night in Photos and played it. It started off in normal speed, then went to slo-mo for a bit, then back to normal speed. No controls to speed up/slow down but I am getting some slo-mo.

Even more confusing...

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I know what you're talking about now. I use Google Photos as my default app. It shouldn't matter what my default app is if I'm opening it in Gallery. I don't have a Video app on the phone.

Strange thing is, I went into the video I did the other night in Photos and played it. It started off in normal speed, then went to slo-mo for a bit, then back to normal speed. No controls to speed up/slow down but I am getting some slo-mo.

Even more confusing...

ah. i hated google photos and switched to PIKTURES. still that should have no bearing on opening a video in GALLERY...but perhaps it does?

at this point i am as confused about your situation as you are...maybe a factory reset? i am no expert. i don't even remember how i figured this out a month ago.

also if this info helps, before i solved it i had a similar experience. i would open the video and it would start normal then go to slo-mo (and my screen would darken). i will say this: slo mo seems a lot smoother experience on apple's phone. but i am glad i got mine sorted.

did you ever try the VIDEOSHOW app? there's a free version that works fine. i bought the pro eventually but not sure why. free did most of the things i wanted.

GadgetRick

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
ah. i hated google photos and switched to PIKTURES. still that should have no bearing on opening a video in GALLERY...but perhaps it does?

at this point i am as confused about your situation as you are...maybe a factory reset? i am no expert. i don't even remember how i figured this out a month ago.

also if this info helps, before i solved it i had a similar experience. i would open the video and it would start normal then go to slo-mo (and my screen would darken). i will say this: slo mo seems a lot smoother experience on apple's phone. but i am glad i got mine sorted.

did you ever try the VIDEOSHOW app? there's a free version that works fine. i bought the pro eventually but not sure why. free did most of the things i wanted.

I'll have to try Videoshow.

I love Google Photos for a lot of reasons. I don't care about doing slo-mo very often but it's cool to shoot things in slo-mo like fire. :)

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca