Help me decide: V10 or S7 Edge

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
So, my beloved G3 has finally given up the goat. The SIM/SD reader is toast and both repair places I consulted indicated they can't swap out the reader, the whole motherboard has to be replaced. Obviously this is cost prohibitive for a 2 year old phone, so I'm just going to get a new phone.

I was thinking about the G5, but the first-day QC issues have just turned me off. So, I've settled on the V10 and the S7 Edge. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on which way I should go. Anecdotes on call quality, battery life, performance, that sort of thing.

I really like LG's products, and between my G3 and G Pad, am used to their software. Love the camera and laser AF. V10 seems to be very rugged. However, many of the reviews of the V10 have highlighted the secondary display as not as useful as the edge's. In addition, it appears as the SIM/SD slot is the same as the G3's...so I'm afraid to be in the same boat in 2 years.

On the other hand, many reviews highlight the S7 Edge as being one of the best smartphones ever made. It's capabilities seem to beat out the V10 (being a newer flagship phone). However, I've read while the s7's camera shines in low light situations, there are concerns with other situations. And I've also read about Samsung's bloatware and how the ui will slow over time.

I appreciate the advice (will also post in the S7 Edge forum).

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I can't comment on the s7 personally, but what I will say is that I haven't been tempted to change my lg v10 for it, despite being a diehard samsung user for the last 4 years or so.
I prefer the fact that there are no buttons on the side of the LG v10 and I've also heard that it's quite easy to accidentally press the s7 edge screen when you don't mean to.
I've heard the camera on the s7 is fantastic, but that there is a lot of over sharpening going on.
This is also the case to a lesser extent with the LG v10 but if you shoot in raw+jpeg the resulting jpeg is better, plus you have the option of developing the raw file in snapseed using the Android app, something which isn't possible with the s7 at the moment.
I don't think either phone would disappoint though.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
After doing much research, I replaced my G3 with a V10 yesterday. I've only had it about 24 hours, but so far it's everything I expected. No smartphone is perfect, and all will have a few shortcomings, at least for some. No matter what you buy, there will always be something newer and better just around the corner. As markyboy said, you probably wouldn't go wrong with either phone. Most carriers offer at least a 14-day return period so that should give you plenty of time to thoroughly checkout whichever one you buy.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The S7 screen is just too small for me. Otherwise it would be something I would consider. V10 is on the larger size of course, but its not a phablet or oversized. Once you get used to viewing web pages and photos on V10, its tough to go to something as small as the S7.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If you want a phone with the greatest specs and a power house, go with the s7 , but if you want a large screen with ok specs, then go with the v10. I have the v10 and it's been ok for me besides mediocre battery life and the finger print scanner working 7/10 tries....this may not be everyone's observation just my own....

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My personal preferences against the S7:
>Too much glass. I will kill it prematurely, as clumsy as I am. Or I otterbox it and then it just defaults to any other plastic-ey phone.
>The rounded edges, and edge buttons are right where I grip-grasp around + onto the device to keep it securely planted in my hand.
>Non removable battery.
>FPS is in an awkward location, where 2 hands are required.
>The samsung always on display for me serves no real purpose. While the V10 secondary display I find is a very useful (albeit basic) active user interface

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
My only problem with the S7 besides the smaller size, is it's NON-REPLACEABLE BATTERY. If it wasn't for that one or two little things I would have bought it. And for the poor battery in the V10, well that is why you can change batteries. Go dead with the S7 and your looking for an outlet or pulling out the powerbank hoping you had recharged it since the last time you used it.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The S7 screen is just too small for me. Otherwise it would be something I would consider. V10 is on the larger size of course, but its not a phablet or oversized. Once you get used to viewing web pages and photos on V10, its tough to go to something as small as the S7.

How is a 5.7 inch screen not a phablet? I mean I have the S7 edge with a slightly smaller 5.5 inch screen, and even it is considered a phablet.

Posted via the Android Central App

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Over at the S7 Edge forum - not everyone actually uses the edge. The first thing I would do is turn it off. Also I don't like the $$$ price of the Edge.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I can't really say which one you should absolutely go for. Can you afford the price of the Edge? Is the V10 too big for you? Do you care about a removable battery or IP68 certification?

If you want a phone that has a replaceable battery, durable construction, great headphone audio and a ton of camera features for shutterbugs, go with the V10. If you want a smaller phone, larger internal battery, IP68 certification and the latest + greatest, go with the S7 Edge.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
One more thing I really like about the V10... you can completely operate the phone from the glass display. No physical buttons are required outside of the FPS of course.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
You really can't go wrong with either phone. My son has an S7 Edge and I have a V10. The S7 is a little smaller if size is important. I'd also say the S7 runs a little smoother than my V10....but I'm not running MM yet. My son is pretty demanding when it comes to his phones (high school senior so not surprising) and he loves it, he's a big fan of the Edge display.

Me, I have "old eyes" and prefer the larger screen and totally love the HiFi ESS DAC setup for my music on the V10.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Coming from my last two phones being Samsung, let me tell you to get the V10.

I typically tend to stick with one brand. I used to have Palm and webOS devices and phones dating back to the Handspring Visor, Palm Treo 650, Palm Centro, Palm Pre, Pre2 and then Pre3. So I'm pretty loyal. Of course HP killed Palm and so I went to the Android platform. Got the Galaxy S4 and loved it. But the white Samsung charger that came with it frayed at the end and damaged the charging point after having the phone for almost two years. This is still a common Samsung problem with white charging cords. So I got the Note Edge. Loved it. But the camera acted up and the auto focus motor acted up so I sent it in for service. Got it back then it started freezing and crashing so I sent it in again and they replaced the whole logic board. A few weeks ago it started doing it again and I was already out of warranty so I traded it in for the LG V10. Why? Because Samsung no longer has phones with a removable battery. That's a deal breaker for me. Plus the reliability issues made me want to try another phone. Friends at T-Mobile say they never see V10 customers have issues. I was thinking about the G5 but the lack of camera options and the curved glass kept me away from it along with only 32 GB vs 64 GB internal memory. I would have liked the USB type C and the wide angle camera on the rear but I like the second screen the V10 has in top and I personally prefer the design. The curved glass on my Note Edge prevented me from getting a screen protector because I only like tempered glass and it stressed me out the whole time I had the Edge and it did get scratched.

So my vote is for the V10, for what I feel are valid reasons. 64 GB on board, removable battery, expandable storage, dual screen, manual camera functions. It's a powerhouse meant for the pros.

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The s7 and the s7 edge and even the s6, s6edge, and s6 edge plus have more power than the v10......and I have the v10 on Verizon and it's a good phone but it does not have the power of the Samsung phones...

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Power doesn't matter when the stock software makes the phones slow anyway. If I wanted more power I'd have gotten a G5