V10 drops wireless constantly and drains the battery fast, how can I fix this?

A

AC Question

V10 drops wireless constantly and drains the battery fast

I have had problems with wireless with this phone since I got it in November. At first though, it was manageable. If I went somewhere that was an "AT&T hotspot", it would find it and connect to it, but when I was at home or another place with a password protected wifi, it wouldn't connect automatically like it should. This would lead to me sitting in my own house using data without realizing it. I finally just got into the habit of manually connecting to my wireless every time I got home. (it would always connect without a problem and remember the password, once I pulled it up and pressed "connect")

But for the last couple of weeks I guess, it has gotten so much worse. I guess it is since the last update which I didn't even realize happened on the 22nd. I'll be connected to my home wifi and for no reason, it will turn itself off. I'll get a little blue pop up that says internet unavailable with *** So I will connect again which will sometimes take several attempts, just to be knocked out again 2 minutes later.

It is also sucking the battery dry now. I now there have been times that I have forgotten to plug it into the charger at night but it was still close to whatever it was at come morning. Now if it doesn't get plugged in and it is less than 75%, it will be dead in the morning.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: V10 drops wireless constantly and drains the battery fast

I would try a factory reset. That will most likely solve your issues and be the quickest thing. Ensure to backup your photos and things before hand.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I have had problems with wireless with this phone since I got it in November. At first though, it was manageable. If I went somewhere that was an "AT&T hotspot", it would find it and connect to it, but when I was at home or another place with a password protected wifi, it wouldn't connect automatically like it should. This would lead to me sitting in my own house using data without realizing it. I finally just got into the habit of manually connecting to my wireless every time I got home. (it would always connect without a problem and remember the password, once I pulled it up and pressed "connect")

But for the last couple of weeks I guess, it has gotten so much worse. I guess it is since the last update which I didn't even realize happened on the 22nd. I'll be connected to my home wifi and for no reason, it will turn itself off. I'll get a little blue pop up that says internet unavailable with *** So I will connect again which will sometimes take several attempts, just to be knocked out again 2 minutes later.

It is also sucking the battery dry now. I now there have been times that I have forgotten to plug it into the charger at night but it was still close to whatever it was at come morning. Now if it doesn't get plugged in and it is less than 75%, it will be dead in the morning.

So it happens only with your home wi-fi? What kind of router are you using? Wireless N 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Did you pick a channel or is it on auto? Any other routers close by that could be causing interference?

My v10 on Marshmallow has very solid wi-fi. Never had to reconnect manually. Are there other routers that you can connect to as a test?

My gf has an older Samsung that was exhibiting the same problems as yours. I put her on a guest network 2.4Ghz and no dropped connections.I doubt you have a defective V10 but anything is possible. Please give us the additional info.

lucifer3030

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

So it happens only with your home wi-fi? What kind of router are you using? Wireless N 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? Did you pick a channel or is it on auto? Any other routers close by that could be causing interference?

My v10 on Marshmallow has very solid wi-fi. Never had to reconnect manually. Are there other routers that you can connect to as a test?

My gf has an older Samsung that was exhibiting the same problems as yours. I put her on a guest network 2.4Ghz and no dropped connections.I doubt you have a defective V10 but anything is possible. Please give us the additional info.

I'm having the same issues. My phone is less then a week old and the wifi pro lem is getting really annoying. It has not problem connecting to wifi, but i constanly receive the "internet unavailable" pop up. I thought it was just at my house, but its doing it at work as well. I thought maybe it was an issue with Cox, as both my house and work use them, but no one else is having these problems in either location. Ive reset my router and modem in both locations and still no luck. My battery has been draining very quickly as well since i noticed the wifi issue. Please help

lucifer3030

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

So I'm not sure if this is related but i found the setting for turn off wifi when screen is off. So far it seems to have fixed the issue. Battery isnt draining as quickly and havent received one internet unavailable pop up since. Go to settings, wifi, advanced settings, then turn off "wifi off when screen off"

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

So I'm not sure if this is related but i found the setting for turn off wifi when screen is off. So far it seems to have fixed the issue. Battery isnt draining as quickly and havent received one internet unavailable pop up since. Go to settings, wifi, advanced settings, then turn off "wifi off when screen off"

But do you get more data charges doing this?

Posted via the Android Central App

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

But do you get more data charges doing this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Depends on the circumstance. If you're streaming something like music and turn the display off, I'd assume it would switch over to your cellular network until you turn the display back on.

Posted via an LG V10

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Seems weird that you have to do that to have decent battery. Post your battery stats.

radtsurkan

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried the factory reset, with and without a backup, and ended up using the warranty to replace the phone. Same Wifi issues on the new. My Note 4 that I use consistently has stable and faster speeds while the Wifi on the V10 is slower at home/flat out drops at work. I'm really hoping this somehow gets addressed in a future update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz