LG V10 - Recording Stops After 5 Minutes

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had my LG V10 for around 6 months now. One of the main reasons that I bought this phone was for its manual controls for the camera. One of the things I use these manual controls for is taking time-lapses. Usually for my time-lapses, I go into the manual video mode and change the frame rate to 2 FPS at FHD (1080p). I adjust all of the other lighting/focus settings to fit the location. Then I hit record and wait for around 30 minutes to get a quick time-lapse. However I have recorded up to an hour in this way and it could have gone longer. I have taken several time-lapses this way, but I haven't taken any recently. Then, when I was on vacation, I found some cool spots to take some time-lapses, so I did the exact same thing I had done before. This time, the recording started normally, and then just after the 5 minute mark the recording stopped as if I had touched the stop button. I hadn't touched anything, and my battery was fine. I am aware that if you film at UHD (4K) the camera shuts off after 5 minutes to prevent overheating, but I was 100% sure I was on FHD (1080p).

Now I have been going through and messing around with settings to see if there was another issue I wasn't aware of. So far I have found that whatever bitrate, frame rate, or quality that I set the camera to it always stops at the 5 minute mark, which it has never done before. I also checked my storage and I have at least 30GB free on this phone, so I didn't think that should be an issue. Just to prove this, I removed all of the media files from the camera storage and tried to take another recording and it still didn't make it past the 5 minute mark. This is extremely frustrating as I really like this phone and camera. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? If so, does anyone know of any fixes for this or something I may be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
This is extremely frustrating as I really like this phone and camera. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? If so, does anyone know of any fixes for this or something I may be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Have you recently pulled an update? Or did you install a new memory card for your vacation? Have you checked power settings?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I think mine only does it on UHD setting (4K)... at least thats the only mode I see the 5:00 countdown timer. FHD and HD do not have the timer... whether or not they still shut down after 5:00 (without a timer shown) I am not really sure. Hang on let me confirm... will post back in 5-6 minutes.

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
The only update that I've pulled recently is when T-Mobile allowed me to update to Marshmallow. I just haven't seen anyone else talking about this issue, so I didn't know if it was isolated to just me.

I have not changed the memory card at all since I've had the phone. I purposefully bought a larger one so I wouldn't need to do that as often.

I checked the the power settings, but I didn't find anything that indicated that it would stop recording after 5 minutes. I have had at least 50% battery every time I have tested the recording time. My "battery saver mode" turns on at 15% battery.

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Any luck? I was hoping someone would be able to test it with there phone as well. I also only see the 5:00 countdown timer on UHD (4K).

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Any luck? I was hoping someone would be able to test it with there phone as well. I also only see the 5:00 countdown timer on UHD (4K).
FHD and HD do not have the timer... whether or not they still shut down after 5:00 (without a timer shown) I am not really sure. Hang on let me confirm... will post back in 5-6 minutes.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
CONFIRMED... I can record longer than 5 minutes using FHD and HD. There is also no 5 minute countdown timer in these modes. Its only UHD (4k) that has the timer and caps the time at 5:00.

Bummers... It didn't used to do this.

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had my LG V10 for around 6 months now. One of the main reasons that I bought this phone was for its manual controls for the camera. One of the things I use these manual controls for is taking time-lapses. Usually for my time-lapses, I go into the manual video mode and change the frame rate to 2 FPS at FHD (1080p). I adjust all of the other lighting/focus settings to fit the location. Then I hit record and wait for around 30 minutes to get a quick time-lapse. However I have recorded up to an hour in this way and it could have gone longer. I have taken several time-lapses this way, but I haven't taken any recently. Then, when I was on vacation, I found some cool spots to take some time-lapses, so I did the exact same thing I had done before. This time, the recording started normally, and then just after the 5 minute mark the recording stopped as if I had touched the stop button. I hadn't touched anything, and my battery was fine. I am aware that if you film at UHD (4K) the camera shuts off after 5 minutes to prevent overheating, but I was 100% sure I was on FHD (1080p).

Now I have been going through and messing around with settings to see if there was another issue I wasn't aware of. So far I have found that whatever bitrate, frame rate, or quality that I set the camera to it always stops at the 5 minute mark, which it has never done before. I also checked my storage and I have at least 30GB free on this phone, so I didn't think that should be an issue. Just to prove this, I removed all of the media files from the camera storage and tried to take another recording and it still didn't make it past the 5 minute mark. This is extremely frustrating as I really like this phone and camera. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? If so, does anyone know of any fixes for this or something I may be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Just throwing this out there as a hypothetical without checking myself. Is there a chance that it's set to 60fps?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just throwing this out there as a hypothetical without checking myself. Is there a chance that it's set to 60fps?

With a little testing myself, my V10 can record longer than 5 minutes at FHD 60fps but usually not too long after that, probably due to the same reason as 4K having a time limit to ensure that the camera doesn't overheat. Clearing the cache for the stock camera helps a bit with some issues though, as I sometimes have audio sync issues with recorded videos at times (the video is fine but the audio tends to be out of sync with the video) after 3 months.

Posted via an LG V10

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

When I noticed the issue it was set to 2 FPS. However, it also has the same issue at 60 FPS. Like I said, I have tried almost every setting combination and it still stops right after 5 minutes. Any other ideas?

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
With a little testing myself, my V10 can record longer than 5 minutes at FHD 60fps but usually not too long after that, probably due to the same reason as 4K having a time limit to ensure that the camera doesn't overheat. Clearing the cache for the stock camera helps a bit with some issues though, as I sometimes have audio sync issues with recorded videos at times (the video is fine but the audio tends to be out of sync with the video) after 3 months.

Posted via an LG V10

I'm sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but what is the cache of the stock camera? Is that just my gallery? I haven't had an Android phone that long so I'm still learning a bit :)

Andrew Bonner

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
When I noticed the issue it was set to 2 FPS. However, it also has the same issue at 60 FPS. Like I said, I have tried almost every setting combination and it still stops right after 5 minutes. Any other ideas?

I do know that if you're recording at UHD, it puts a hard 5:00 timer on the screen so it says 00:02/05:00 2 seconds in.

Any other quality, it does not have the 5:00 timer.

I don't know why it is yours is artificially limiting you, sorry! I'll come back here if I think of anything.

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to update this question with some more information.

I did a full factory reset of my device after backing up my data onto a 64gb microsd. I then reconnected the 64gb microsd and reloaded all of my data. I then tried the camera again, and it STILL is limiting my recording to 5:00 min. This makes me think that the problem is somehow related to my data on the phone. However, I'm no expert by any means, so I really don't know.

Also, I was testing the problem with my sound on, and noticed that when it ends at the 5:00 min mark the sound effect for the stop button is played. It's almost as if the phone is registering someone hitting the stop button when no one is touching the phone.

I will be dropping into the store I originally bought the phone from and hopefully they can help me out. Otherwise if anyone else has any suggestions or fixes, please let me know. THANKS!

gergex

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem, in full HD the recording for time lapse stops always after 5 minutes. Would be happy if there would be a solution for this issue..

Last edited:

JimmyG11

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello again everyone! So, I have found a solution that worked for me, but I am unsure if it has worked for anyone else with the same issue. In the past week my phone had a system update. I saw while the update was occurring, that it updated a large amount of my apps as well. Apparently, whatever was changed in this update resulted in the time limit issue being resolved and I am back to full functionality on any frame rate. Thanks to everyone who helped me out, but it looks like I just had to be patient and wait for an update. If anyone still has any questions I will try my best to answer them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1