Why I wanted and LG at first and why I won't want one again

anon(9803818)

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
This will be somewhat of an article. Long, partially organized -- all I want to do here is discuss some things about my first experience with Android and specifically LG, and even more specifically the LG V10. I want to start off by saying why I wanted to get an Android phone, and why I chose LG. At the time I decided I wanted a new phone (January-ish 2016), and it needed to be Android, my main reasoning was the lack of expandable storage on my 32 gigabyte iPhone 5S, and the lack of a removable battery (it's very possible that my 5S battery was close to 70% of the original capacity. Idk, toward the end of me having it I began product testing for a battery case manufacturer so I was constantly charged). The latest Samsung phones at the time offered neither of these things, and I was not in love with what HTC was doing. This left the LG V10. The phone is probably much bigger than I wanted, but it had all the latest and greatest in specs, and good audio, something I really wanted. On top of that, it had a removable battery, and expandable storage up to ludicrous amounts that you can't even do anyway. Stupid gimmicks like the second screen were something that I never really thought I'd use too much, but ended up loving. Additionally, the camera is freaking fantastic! So why will I probably not buy another LG phone? Well, the direction they're going in doesn't look too bright, modularity isn't really my thing. Also, like I said, their phones are too big. While the V10 is just fine for me because of its thinness, I definitely want to get a much smaller phone next time, and LG doesn't have anything in the size offering I want. On top of that, removable batteries are definitely a thing in the past for Android now, and I wouldn't mind missing out on it for a potentially better phone from a potentially better manufacturer. LG honesty has great customer service, and my Android experience has been awesome. In fact I love many things about their custom launcher / their software layer on Android. But within a few months of me having the phone, I had to send it in due to the power distribution board being dislodged after a very small drop. Also more recently, the glass in the middle of the phone spontaneously cracked. It wasn't noticeable at first, but it's become more Progressive and annoying as the glass on the corner of the crack has begun to chip away and become more noticeable and even feel able. Small things like this with only having the phone in a very short period of time doesn't make me very happy. These may just be random flukes, and I may or may not be LGs fault. Regardless, other offerings such as the HTC 10 have definitely interested me more. (although it's definitely much too big for me. The S7 is the right size but a glass back would make me too nervous). So now to the title of this post. Why won't I want an LG phone again? There's too much competition in the phone market. Companies i laughed at 6 months ago now produce some of the phones I'm most interested in, and companies I loved most at the same time I now find bland. When I was buying this phone, I told the AT&T sales rep (who also had a V10) that id be keeping the phone for three years, no question. Now im planning on making it a backup by next summer.

I also just want to note how absolutely horrible the battery life on this thing is.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on whatever I just threw together? This was kinda just me saying how I feel about the phone and a quick take on my first experience with android. Idek what this is thanks.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't think you can fairly blame LG about the issues you got after dropping the phone. I've dropped mine several times with no issues. I think it all falls to how it landed when it hit and/or the level of protection you use so you can't really fault the manufacturer for that unless it's a systemic error. Foe example, if you drop a phone with no protective case or screen protection then I would expect it to break when I dropped it. I agree with you 100% that I will probably not buy another LG though. My reason is also the module system they seem to favor now. At this point I have no idea what my next phone will be. I like the Note series but absolutely hate the Samsung interface and the full glass bodies of the phones. I used to own the Note 3 and used it for 2 years but didn't find myself using the S Pen enough to warrant the added expense of the Note 5. I do love everything about the V10. I've had it since last November and really can't complain. I did have an issue with overheating so got a replacement and it solved the problem. It saddens me that they are taking the G5 mod system and ruining (IMO) the V20 with it. Like I said, I have no idea what I would buy if I needed a phone right now. Probably a Nexus of some sort. Good luck in whatever you choose.

anon(8532178)

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Well I don't think you can fairly blame LG about the issues you got after dropping the phone. I've dropped mine several times with no issues. I think it all falls to how it landed when it hit and/or the level of protection you use so you can't really fault the manufacturer for that unless it's a systemic error. Foe example, if you drop a phone with no protective case or screen protection then I would expect it to break when I dropped it. I agree with you 100% that I will probably not buy another LG though. My reason is also the module system they seem to favor now. At this point I have no idea what my next phone will be. I like the Note series but absolutely hate the Samsung interface and the full glass bodies of the phones. I used to own the Note 3 and used it for 2 years but didn't find myself using the S Pen enough to warrant the added expense of the Note 5. I do love everything about the V10. I've had it since last November and really can't complain. I did have an issue with overheating so got a replacement and it solved the problem. It saddens me that they are taking the G5 mod system and ruining (IMO) the V20 with it. Like I said, I have no idea what I would buy if I needed a phone right now. Probably a Nexus of some sort. Good luck in whatever you choose.

As like you gentlemen I'm in the same boat I was looking for a replacement for my windows phone at the time and I ended up with the V10. In the future I don't know what I'll do if I'm looking for a replacement like you I hate how certain phones OEMs are making phones now my options are iPhone unfortunately or a HTC or force a Galaxy on myself. But I think I'm making this harder than it is though haha.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
This will be somewhat of an article. Long, partially organized -- all I want to do here is discuss some things about my first experience with Android and specifically LG, and even more specifically the LG V10.

I want to start off by saying why I wanted to get an Android phone, and why I chose LG. At the time I decided I wanted a new phone (January-ish 2016), and it needed to be Android, my main reasoning was the lack of expandable storage on my 32 gigabyte iPhone 5S, and the lack of a removable battery (it's very possible that my 5S battery was close to 70% of the original capacity. Idk, toward the end of me having it I began product testing for a battery case manufacturer so I was constantly charged).

The latest Samsung phones at the time offered neither of these things, and I was not in love with what HTC was doing. This left the LG V10. The phone is probably much bigger than I wanted, but it had all the latest and greatest in specs, and good audio, something I really wanted. On top of that, it had a removable battery, and expandable storage up to ludicrous amounts that you can't even do anyway. Stupid gimmicks like the second screen were something that I never really thought I'd use too much, but ended up loving. Additionally, the camera is freaking fantastic!

So why will I probably not buy another LG phone? Well, the direction they're going in doesn't look too bright, modularity isn't really my thing. Also, like I said, their phones are too big. While the V10 is just fine for me because of its thinness, I definitely want to get a much smaller phone next time, and LG doesn't have anything in the size offering I want. On top of that, removable batteries are definitely a thing in the past for Android now, and I wouldn't mind missing out on it for a potentially better phone from a potentially better manufacturer.

LG honestly has great customer service, and my Android experience has been awesome. In fact I love many things about their custom launcher / their software layer on Android. But within a few months of me having the phone, I had to send it in due to the power distribution board being dislodged after a very small drop. Also more recently, the glass in the middle of the phone spontaneously cracked. It wasn't noticeable at first, but it's become more Progressive and annoying as the glass on the corner of the crack has begun to chip away and become more noticeable and even feel able. Small things like this with only having the phone in a very short period of time doesn't make me very happy.

These may just be random flukes, and I may or may not be LGs fault. Regardless, other offerings such as the HTC 10 have definitely interested me more. (although it's definitely much too big for me. The S7 is the right size but a glass back would make me too nervous).

So now to the title of this post. Why won't I want an LG phone again? There's too much competition in the phone market. Companies i laughed at 6 months ago now produce some of the phones I'm most interested in, and companies I loved most at the same time I now find bland. When I was buying this phone, I told the AT&T sales rep (who also had a V10) that id be keeping the phone for three years, no question. Now im planning on making it a backup by next summer.

I also just want to note how absolutely horrible the battery life on this thing is.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on whatever I just threw together? This was kinda just me saying how I feel about the phone and a quick take on my first experience with android. Idek what this is thanks.

Battery life, I agree--should be better.

Modularity: they've come out with ONE SINGLE modular phone. That does not make a trend, or even an indicator. Yes, people with nothing better to do are speculating wildly, claiming it as fact, that the V20 has the G5's modular setup. I'll believe whatever the V20 is when I see it. Until then, I'll make no assumptions.

Removable battery: I don't know why you say that's a "thing of the past with Android" and is therefore immaterial. Apple and Samsung do away with the removable battery because they know that's a built-in upgrade mechanism, as all batteries die and need replaced. A removable battery actually prolongs the life of the device. Unless you're going to use the lack of removable battery as a gateway to some other specific feature--ruggedness, or waterproof--then you're just being a cheap jerk by not letting me remove and replace my battery.

Smaller phone: I get it--LG doesn't make flagship phones in a smaller size. For you, that's game over.

Screen cracking: we've heard stories here on the forum. Sucks.

Me, I stumbled into LG and like the product. Might buy the V20. Samsung can kiss my grits after the Galaxy S3 "upgrade" that upgraded it right into the ground, with no recourse.

Plus, I've discovered that LG's client software is superb--even on a Macintosh. If they added an iTunes replacement (like Blackberry did with their even better desktop client), it would be perfect. As for the phone, I've come to like LG's messaging and calendar and phone apps better than the third party alternatives (even Google's stuff).

I thought I would hate a phone that big, but I jumped in with both feet. After a week, I came to realize that I love something that big, plus I absolutely love the power button on the back with the FPS. In fact, I love the volume buttons back there, to, because it removes them from the sides and makes the sides something I can grab easily. In fact, every render I've seen of the V20 shows it with the volume on the side, and that might make me rethink that unit completely.

It also sucks that LG doesn't play in the unlocked phone market in the US. Everything they sell, is carrier based. It's time more manufacturers do what Apple does (for the most part) and just sell unlocked, complete phones that can go from carrier to carrier without any loss of functionality. I'm happy to pay $700 for the thing, and even happier if you don't constrain it like that.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I like the Note series but absolutely hate the Samsung interface

Hear hear.

(That, plus that they bricked my Galaxy S3 with an Android update, then refused to acknowledge it despite the entire world knowing about it...you will never complain about the V10 battery life once you experience what Samsung did to the S3.)

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
It saddens me that they are taking the G5 mod system and ruining (IMO) the V20 with it.

That's just rampant speculation from people (a) with nothing better to do than speculate on web forums, and (b) web site owners creating clickbait headlines.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
That's just rampant speculation from people (a) with nothing better to do than speculate on web forums, and (b) web site owners creating clickbait headlines.

I also wouldn't be surprised that they originally had it modular but with the G5 fail, they changed it.

I've come to learn that everyone's needs are different and thanks to Android and it's partners we get to find a phone that meets them. Everyone's experience is different which is why we get users that hate and love certain phones. On the V10, it's unique enough that I like it. The V10 is my first non-Motorola smartphone and this V10 stacks up in the top 3 for me. The first and second Moto X's taking the top spots. While the OP had issues with battery (which a good portion do) I do not. What I have been noticing lately is that the V10 is drawing love it or hate it reviews. No one is in the middle with it. Either way, good luck to the OP with whatever he decides for his future needs.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Battery life, I agree--should be better.

Modularity: they've come out with ONE SINGLE modular phone. That does not make a trend, or even an indicator. Yes, people with nothing better to do are speculating wildly, claiming it as fact, that the V20 has the G5's modular setup. I'll believe whatever the V20 is when I see it. Until then, I'll make no assumptions.

Removable battery: I don't know why you say that's a "thing of the past with Android" and is therefore immaterial. Apple and Samsung do away with the removable battery because they know that's a built-in upgrade mechanism, as all batteries die and need replaced. A removable battery actually prolongs the life of the device. Unless you're going to use the lack of removable battery as a gateway to some other specific feature--ruggedness, or waterproof--then you're just being a cheap jerk by not letting me remove and replace my battery.

Smaller phone: I get it--LG doesn't make flagship phones in a smaller size. For you, that's game over.

Screen cracking: we've heard stories here on the forum. Sucks.

Me, I stumbled into LG and like the product. Might buy the V20. Samsung can kiss my grits after the Galaxy S3 "upgrade" that upgraded it right into the ground, with no recourse.

Plus, I've discovered that LG's client software is superb--even on a Macintosh. If they added an iTunes replacement (like Blackberry did with their even better desktop client), it would be perfect. As for the phone, I've come to like LG's messaging and calendar and phone apps better than the third party alternatives (even Google's stuff).

I thought I would hate a phone that big, but I jumped in with both feet. After a week, I came to realize that I love something that big, plus I absolutely love the power button on the back with the FPS. In fact, I love the volume buttons back there, to, because it removes them from the sides and makes the sides something I can grab easily. In fact, every render I've seen of the V20 shows it with the volume on the side, and that might make me rethink that unit completely.

It also sucks that LG doesn't play in the unlocked phone market in the US. Everything they sell, is carrier based. It's time more manufacturers do what Apple does (for the most part) and just sell unlocked, complete phones that can go from carrier to carrier without any loss of functionality. I'm happy to pay $700 for the thing, and even happier if you don't constrain it like that.

The G4 and G5 are both sold unlocked...

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Wow, and the G5 is down to $500 at B&H now.

But the V10 is not being sold unlocked, and never has been.

The question I have is, does the G5 (for example) take on the carrier's characteristics when the SIM card is inserted? For example, the BB Priv--which is sold primarily unlocked, except for a single AT&T variant--instantly becomes a complete T-Mobile phone when the T-Mo SIM is inserted. It gets the T-Mo wifi hotspot app and visual voicemail apps, for example. That took cooperation between BB and T-Mo.

If LG is doing the same thing, great. I say, bring on the V20 in such a state. I will buy it carrier-free and unlocked, and I will put whatever SIM card I want in it--T-Mo, AT&T, VZW, or any of their MVNOs--and expect to get that carrier's full package of capabilities.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow, and the G5 is down to $500 at B&H now.

But the V10 is not being sold unlocked, and never has been.

The question I have is, does the G5 (for example) take on the carrier's characteristics when the SIM card is inserted? For example, the BB Priv--which is sold primarily unlocked, except for a single AT&T variant--instantly becomes a complete T-Mobile phone when the T-Mo SIM is inserted. It gets the T-Mo wifi hotspot app and visual voicemail apps, for example. That took cooperation between BB and T-Mo.

If LG is doing the same thing, great. I say, bring on the V20 in such a state. I will buy it carrier-free and unlocked, and I will put whatever SIM card I want in it--T-Mo, AT&T, VZW, or any of their MVNOs--and expect to get that carrier's full package of capabilities.
I had an unlocked G4 and it did not take on the characteristics. Just the signal. Which was awesome.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon