An open letter to LG in regards to the V10 bootloop issue

jme_ella

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I've just sent this email to a Mr. Cho, but I'd like to post it here as well, just in case I didn't send it to the correct email address. Also, so that if anyone would like to add anything, they can, and hopefully someone from LG will see this.

Mr. Cho,

First let me begin with how much I loved my LG V10. I first bought it for the camera but then fell in love with it for everything else it had. The only thing I could really complain about was how big it was.

Then, a little over a month after having the phone I started having issues with my charger. After going through 5 chargers during the next month I realized it wasn't just "cheap" chargers. I never saw where LG announced charger port issues for the V10, instead, they offered charging cases/docks for the battery. So I had to buy a charging case and another battery so that I could actually use my phone while the battery charged. To be fair, though, I soon realized this really wasn't that much of an inconvenience since I never had to keep my phone attached to a chord.

I got my phone in December. Had charger port issues a month later and then in May, just 5 months after having the brand new phone, it randomly turned off and refused to get past the LG logo when booting up.

After some research I found that issue is called a "boot loop". The same issue other LG phones have had. There was nothing AT&T could do for me. I had just signed a contract five months prior. I couldn't get out of it. So I'm stuck paying $23 a month for a phone I can't even use.
Every time that I called your customer service, everyone was very unhelpful. The first guy I spoke with was completely rude. He was no help and in fact put the blame on AT&T. He said that they were the ones who released the Marshmallow update, so they are the ones who are the blame and who need to fix my phone. Let me back up a bit and explain his reasoning for this. One week prior to my phone going into boot loop, AT&T released the Marshmallow update that all of us LG V10 owners had been waiting on. When my phone messed up I took it to the AT&T warranty center. They informed me that they've seen this issue a lot with the LG G4, and they've also seen it when there are software updates. Because of those last added words your customer service rep decided that's when AT&T took blame for my phone going in boot loop.

So, many times over the next few months I called AT&T and LG many times (even at one point I was on the phone with LG and Android/Google). I visited the warranty center many times, too. At the last visit to the warranty center they told me that just in that day alone they had 3 people come in with boot loop issues (though not V10s but G4s). I asked him what did they do for the customers. They said that all they could do was have the customer either take out an insurance claim or warranty claim. So, people who's warranty was voided but they had insurance had to pay their deductible to get a new phone. They are literally paying for an issue that's not their fault.

Oh wait, I forgot to mention this part, LG will fix my phone if I pay them to fix my cracked screen first, because having a cracked screen voids the warranty. So, let me get this straight, in order to have my phone fixed (which from what I've read, it doesn't get fixed, you get a new phone all together), from a problem that I did not cause, from a problem that was unforeseeable, I have to pay to fix an unrelated problem, because LG doesn't do partial repairs (that has been burned into my head by numerous of your CSRs)?

Also, every time that I spoke with one of your customer service reps they told me that not enough people are reporting the issue enough for it to be considered a "common" problem for LG to release a statement and fix. You might want to do a Google search and see how many people have posted on forums and videos of this issue, it has grown. In fact, there are at least two petitions in regards to the V10.

So tell me, because I've voided the warranty I'm stuck in a contract with a phone that broke on it's own (be it caused by software problems or faulty craftsmanship), is there not anything in my contract saying that if something unforeseeable happens to the phone (something that's not the customer's fault, but more so the manufacturer's) that LG is responsible for fixing or replacing that phone? Do you honestly believe that LG shouldn't fix this issue, or that they shouldn't pay for all those months that their customers have paid for a phone they haven't been able to use (mine is going 5 months), and that they shouldn't have to reimburse those who had to take out insurance claims because their phone was stuck in a mode they had nothing to do with? Do you not think LG should take accountability for any of this? I've seen a few petitions to get LG to do something, I'm very surprised I haven't seen a class action lawsuit yet.

I look forward to hearing back from you in regards to what you plan on doing for my situation, and hopefully all of others who have suffered from this same problem.

Jamie Boyd

PS Life's not Good, not with these kind of issues. Also, I'll be posting this letter on a few forums, we'll be awaiting your response.

Sent from my iPhone (my old sluggish iPhone 4s that I've been forced to use these past 5 months)

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
With all respect can you compare the frequency of the bootloop of the V10 to the G4? Assuming that the G4 has many times greater number sold?
I don't think you can compare the two.

anon(9803818)

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Can't believe LG isn't replacing bootloop phones. Especially considering its in no way the users fault. I dropped my V10 which caused internal damage and they replaced it with no argument. Hopefully if this problem occurs to me they wont charge me for my cracked screen (a spontaneous crack, not one caused by a drop. It's in the middle of the glass and doesn't even come close to the side of the screen. Very good letter though, hopefully lg has an official response

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I've just sent this email to a Mr. Cho, but I'd like to post it here as well, just in case I didn't send it to the correct email address. Also, so that if anyone would like to add anything, they can, and hopefully someone from LG will see this.

Mr. Cho,

First let me begin with how much I loved my LG V10. I first bought it for the camera but then fell in love with it for everything else it had. The only thing I could really complain about was how big it was.

Then, a little over a month after having the phone I started having issues with my charger. After going through 5 chargers during the next month I realized it wasn't just "cheap" chargers. I never saw where LG announced charger port issues for the V10, instead, they offered charging cases/docks for the battery. So I had to buy a charging case and another battery so that I could actually use my phone while the battery charged. To be fair, though, I soon realized this really wasn't that much of an inconvenience since I never had to keep my phone attached to a chord.

I got my phone in December. Had charger port issues a month later and then in May, just 5 months after having the brand new phone, it randomly turned off and refused to get past the LG logo when booting up.

After some research I found that issue is called a "boot loop". The same issue other LG phones have had. There was nothing AT&T could do for me. I had just signed a contract five months prior. I couldn't get out of it. So I'm stuck paying $23 a month for a phone I can't even use.
Every time that I called your customer service, everyone was very unhelpful. The first guy I spoke with was completely rude. He was no help and in fact put the blame on AT&T. He said that they were the ones who released the Marshmallow update, so they are the ones who are the blame and who need to fix my phone. Let me back up a bit and explain his reasoning for this. One week prior to my phone going into boot loop, AT&T released the Marshmallow update that all of us LG V10 owners had been waiting on. When my phone messed up I took it to the AT&T warranty center. They informed me that they've seen this issue a lot with the LG G4, and they've also seen it when there are software updates. Because of those last added words your customer service rep decided that's when AT&T took blame for my phone going in boot loop.

So, many times over the next few months I called AT&T and LG many times (even at one point I was on the phone with LG and Android/Google). I visited the warranty center many times, too. At the last visit to the warranty center they told me that just in that day alone they had 3 people come in with boot loop issues (though not V10s but G4s). I asked him what did they do for the customers. They said that all they could do was have the customer either take out an insurance claim or warranty claim. So, people who's warranty was voided but they had insurance had to pay their deductible to get a new phone. They are literally paying for an issue that's not their fault.

Oh wait, I forgot to mention this part, LG will fix my phone if I pay them to fix my cracked screen first, because having a cracked screen voids the warranty. So, let me get this straight, in order to have my phone fixed (which from what I've read, it doesn't get fixed, you get a new phone all together), from a problem that I did not cause, from a problem that was unforeseeable, I have to pay to fix an unrelated problem, because LG doesn't do partial repairs (that has been burned into my head by numerous of your CSRs)?

Also, every time that I spoke with one of your customer service reps they told me that not enough people are reporting the issue enough for it to be considered a "common" problem for LG to release a statement and fix. You might want to do a Google search and see how many people have posted on forums and videos of this issue, it has grown. In fact, there are at least two petitions in regards to the V10.

So tell me, because I've voided the warranty I'm stuck in a contract with a phone that broke on it's own (be it caused by software problems or faulty craftsmanship), is there not anything in my contract saying that if something unforeseeable happens to the phone (something that's not the customer's fault, but more so the manufacturer's) that LG is responsible for fixing or replacing that phone? Do you honestly believe that LG shouldn't fix this issue, or that they shouldn't pay for all those months that their customers have paid for a phone they haven't been able to use (mine is going 5 months), and that they shouldn't have to reimburse those who had to take out insurance claims because their phone was stuck in a mode they had nothing to do with? Do you not think LG should take accountability for any of this? I've seen a few petitions to get LG to do something, I'm very surprised I haven't seen a class action lawsuit yet.

I look forward to hearing back from you in regards to what you plan on doing for my situation, and hopefully all of others who have suffered from this same problem.

Jamie Boyd

PS Life's not Good, not with these kind of issues. Also, I'll be posting this letter on a few forums, we'll be awaiting your response.

Sent from my iPhone (my old sluggish iPhone 4s that I've been forced to use these past 5 months)
you sent this messagr from a iphone, is this a joke lol

Xaerae

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: An open letter to LG in regards to the V10

Have you heard back from them?
Sorry if you did and posted their response, I haven't found it if so. I have a G4 that is stuck in the boot loop, started 6 days after the warranty ended.
Bought a v10 on eBay bc of it, after being sick of stuck using my slow as _ Samsung Stratosphere 2. I'm loving it, loved my G4 tho too.

ellyenne

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
As the owner of an LG G4 that boot looped 18 months after I got it, I can sympathies. They want to charge me to fix my phone because my extended warranty expired on 11/30/16 and the phone got to them 12/1/16.
1. They NEVER informed me that there was an extended warranty, or that this might be an issue.
2. It took me 2 weeks, 3 phone calls and 3 chats to even get a RMA, which finally arrived 11/21/16. Right before Thanksgiving Vacation.
3. I was informed that the shipping would be FedEx overnight. It was ground, which took an extra 3 days. And, I almost had to pay for the box (thank you nice FedEx people). Had I known, I would have paid the $25 to get it there 2 days earlier.
4. LG completely lost my registration for the phone. I had to find all my original paperwork from 1.5 years ago to be able to send it with the phone.
5. Then, I spent 35 minutes on hold trying to get to the payment center.

So, I'm pissed. I'm going to be even madder if they make me pay for the fix.

I hope that LG figures out that this is a persistent problem, and you get your V10 fixed. I was looking at a G5 to upgrade, but I think LG's off my list.
Ellen
PS: he's using a old iPhone. I'm using a 2010 Droid2. Love my slide out keyboard.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not convinced that the V10 has a widespread boot loop problem. Also, a certain % of all phones die on their own spontaneously - not from water damage or impact. My gf is using my old G4. Still working great and best phone she ever had.

We have no idea what percentage of V10's boot loop. BUT my guess is if it is 1 or 2% - even that is way too high failure rate. But could be higher?

ChumpChange

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife's bootlooped right before Halloween at 11 months old and mine followed suit in November right over 1 year. So, for us it was a 100% failure rate.

Samsdns1

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I'm not convinced that the V10 has a widespread boot loop problem. Also, a certain % of all phones die on their own spontaneously - not from water damage or impact. My gf is using my old G4. Still working great and best phone she ever had.

We have no idea what percentage of V10's boot loop. BUT my guess is if it is 1 or 2% - even that is way too high failure rate. But could be higher?

Samsdns1

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
My fiancé is going on his 4th g4 and my v10 just started boot looping 3 days ago. It sucks. So many people having problems actually

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My fiancé is going on his 4th g4 and my v10 just started boot looping 3 days ago. It sucks. So many people having problems actually

I handed down my old G4 to my gf and no problems - still going strong. 4 bootlooping G4's? That's mind boggling, sorry to hear.

Abravoab

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I just started having issues with boot loop yesterday. Going to my carrier today but after reading this I'm not feeling optimistic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac