Phone gets warm/hot while using the camera

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
So I've started to notice that when I am using the camera for more than a quick picture that the phone feels warm to hot. Today I looked and it was a 100 degrees (according to gSam) after having using the camera. I had to make a call and could feel the heat around the earpiece. Is it normal for this phone or ??

I didn't have the screen on the whole time. I would turn on the phone when a picture was needed. The whole event was 30-40 min and amount of time for camera would've been around 10 min total spread over the whole time.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is it saving to Internal Storage or the SD card? If it's to the SD, maybe the card or a file on it is corrupt -- try unmounting and removing the card, then use the camera again.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
It is saving to SD card. I can test it with another card to see if it acts the same. Thanks B.Diddy

I just unmounted and remounted the card. Now when I open up the camera all i have is the back/return arrow. I don't have any of the other items on the screen.. I restarted and still not returned.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the camera itself not even starting up? Is it just a blank screen with a Back arrow?

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
The camera opens up but only the arrow is on the bottom screen (top of the screen looks normal) . Was fine before unmount in the card

The card itself is 3 yrs old (32 gb G. Skill)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Strange. And if you tap the Back button, does it just exit the camera app?

Try going to Settings>Apps, select Camera, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open it again.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes it exits the app if I hit the back arrow button. I cleared cache and restarted the phone, no change

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Photos are saved to card (it asked me when I opened the camera app). I will try going into safe mode. Will safe mode help me figure out which app is a battery drain (it's been draining faster than before)? Nevermind this question, I can see that safemode acts like a factory reset

I'm in safe mode now. Same problem with the camera.

After 3 hours in safe mode I restarted the phone and removed the sd card, no change with or without the card, only back button on the bottom of the screen. (battery went down 5% during this time and once restarted lost another 2% in roughly 5 min)

I found out what happened to the buttons on the bottom, it was on simple (top screen settings). Not sure how it was changed.

It appears that when taking a video is when the phone heats up

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what to try next, apart from a factory reset. The problem with LG phones is that you can't do a system cache partition wipe, which can sometimes help with various issues like this.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I think a factory reset is what is needed. I want to order a new card first just in case that is behind any issues (card is 3 yrs old). What is a good card to get (either 64 or 128 gb) that plays nicely with this phone?

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
This phone runs warm when running most any app for any length of time. I've gotten phone calls while playing a game and could barely touch the phone to my ear it was so hot. Wouldn't surprise me to find out that excessive heat is what is causing boot loops in some devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet