LG V20 concept renders by OnLeaks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
hmm LG was too pot committed to the G5 to change course; most people seemed to love the V10 so hopefully this is more of what made that awesome + a little bit of moar.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm a big LG fan and I think the renders look good but not good enough to make me second guess my Note 7 preorder. I'll definitely take a look at the V20 in person once it hits stores but very unlikely that I would Jump to it.

Not to get into a fight over which phone is better but even with the silly design changes LG is making with the V20 compared to the V10, its still going to be a better phone spec-wise over the Note 7. Nougat, the larger battery and the 2nd screen already make the choice easy for me. I wish LG would have kept the design similar to that of the V10 but obviously they don't have the smartest people working in that department. Plus, the V20 will probably be about $200 cheaper.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Not to get into a fight over which phone is better but even with the silly design changes LG is making with the V20 compared to the V10, its still going to be a better phone spec-wise over the Note 7. Nougat, the larger battery and the 2nd screen already make the choice easy for me. I wish LG would have kept the design similar to that of the V10 but obviously they don't have the smartest people working in that department. Plus, the V20 will probably be about $200 cheaper.
I've been a LG mainstay for quite some time (G2,G3,G4,V10, nothing in between) so it wasn't easy to drop my V10 for the Note especially with the V20 on the horizon. But you have to go with whatever fits your needs the best and the V10 is no longer accomplishing that for me. So presumably the V20 wouldn't either.

And spec wise, there is nothing in the current set of leaks and rumors that make the V20 better than the Note 7. I have had Nougat on my Pixel C for months, it's good but not the end all be all. Besides, Samsung implements much of Nougats additions into their build already. AOD on the Note 7 essentially serves the same purpose as the second screen from a notification standpoint. The kicker for me is the S pen. I'm looking for productivity and looking for it to be the answer. If it's not, well, I'm on JoD so I can switch to another phone quickly and without issue if I need to.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been a LG mainstay for quite some time (G2,G3,G4,V10, nothing in between) so it wasn't easy to drop my V10 for the Note especially with the V20 on the horizon. But you have to go with whatever fits your needs the best and the V10 is no longer accomplishing that for me. So presumably the V20 wouldn't either.

And spec wise, there is nothing in the current set of leaks and rumors that make the V20 better than the Note 7. I have had Nougat on my Pixel C for months, it's good but not the end all be all. Besides, Samsung implements much of Nougats additions into their build already. AOD on the Note 7 essentially serves the same purpose as the second screen from a notification standpoint. The kicker for me is the S pen. I'm looking for productivity and looking for it to be the answer. If it's not, well, I'm on JoD so I can switch to another phone quickly and without issue if I need to.

Except the leaked V20 renders show the awesome dual cameras that the Note can't match and the AOD on the Note is basically a clock as it only provides notifications for calls and sms. Nothing else

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Except the leaked V20 renders show the awesome dual cameras that the Note can't match and the AOD on the Note is basically a clock as it only provides notifications for calls and sms. Nothing else

AOD has third party support for notifications. And I don't see a lot of personal benefit to me with the dual cameras.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
AOD has third party support for notifications. And I don't see a lot of personal benefit to me with the dual cameras.

I'm guessing you've never used it then as I can assure you as of now and since Samsung introduced AOD they have absolutely no third party app support. Only stock sms and missed calls.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm guessing you've never used it then as I can assure you AOD on Samsung has absolutely no third party notification support. Only stock sms and missed calls.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

My S7 Edge already does this. So with the Note 7 they're going to add a circle with a "+ #" to show you have other notifications aside from a text message and a missed call? How does this help with anything? You still have to turn on the device to see what the notification is and from which app. At least on the V10/V20 2nd screen you can actually see which app you have a notification for.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Haha, yep, it's going to be a great phone.

Oh I'm sure it will be a solid phone, no doubt. But is it much of an upgrade over the S7E? No. You get a pen, a 0.2" bigger screen and a smaller battery. I just don't see how that warrants a $200 price increase over the S7E.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
My S7 Edge already does this. So with the Note 7 they're going to add a circle with a "+ #" to show you have other notifications aside from a text message and a missed call? How does this help with anything? You still have to turn on the device to see what the notification is and from which app. At least on the V10/V20 2nd screen you can actually see which app you have a notification for.
So did you even look at the link? The picture clearly shows email and Hangouts notifications on the screen.

And this is straight from the Samsung newsroom article:
'[https://news]

Search openMenu openNation open

Nation open

Products >*Mobile

[In-Depth Look] Quick Access and Customization: The Always On Display of the Galaxy Note7

on*August 08, 2016

[https://img]

Samsung introduced a new Always On Display with the Galaxy Note7 including enhanced features designed to help users get more out of their smartphone, even when the screen is off. The Always On Display not only makes a strong first impression, but is also an element of design that differentiates the Galaxy Note7 from other devices on the market. From the Screen off memo that all but replaces the ubiquitous sticky note, to brand new customization options, the new Always On Display keeps users on track in an always-on world.

Screen Off Memo

With the new Screen off memo function, users do not need to launch the memo app to jot down a reminder or a to-do list. Instead, they can conveniently use the phone’s S Pen to write a note directly on the Galaxy Note7’s off screen.

Once a memo has been jotted down, it will remain visible on the Always On Display for an hour to remind users of important events, similar to a sticky note. Memos can also be pinned to the Always On Display so users can check them at a later time by simply double tapping the Memo icon. Users can also store these memos in the Samsung Notes app directly from the Always On Display.

[https://img]

More Information, Faster Access

When the Always On Display made its debut with the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge earlier this year, it gave users continuous access to important information such as the time, date and missed calls. But with the Galaxy Note7, Samsung is taking things even further by expanding the amount of information that can be displayed.

Now, on top of missed calls and messages, users can also check their calendar for events and view notifications from various apps. For example, they can get song information from music apps.

In addition, with the new Direct Access feature, users can easily react to notifications and automatically launch an app or the music player by simply double tapping the notification that is displayed. This makes it possible for users to quickly reply to messages, edit calendar information or pause a song. Direct Access not only adds convenience, it also saves users valuable time.'

The Note 7 AOD clearly does more than any other previous AOD.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm sure it will be a solid phone, no doubt. But is it much of an upgrade over the S7E? No. You get a pen, a 0.2" bigger screen and a smaller battery. I just don't see how that warrants a $200 price increase over the S7E.
For you maybe it doesn't warrant an upgrade. I was never interested in the S7E because after going from 5.5" screen to 5.7", I wasn't going back. So for screen size, I'm making a lateral move from my V10.

And there are plenty more upgrades in the Note 7 vs S7E than you mentioned in your oversimplified post.

If the S pen provides the additional productivity I'm looking for, then it will easily be worth the premium.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Huge camera bump... better case it up.
Looks like a removable battery. Hopefully they don't skimp on capacity.
Hopefully they don't ditch the manual video controls.
No Qi charging, that's a bummer for me.
Headphone jack (!!!)
Hopefully the audio DAC and headphone amp is more like the V10 and less like the G5.
Volume button location is better on the V10

Overall not seeing any reason to upgrade from my V10. Although some things that could change my thinking:
>Trade in value for my V10
>Price of the V20
>N advantages over MM. (although this could be a moot point if Verizon releases an N upgrade to the V10 soon).

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
From the renders, they might go with a metal body with the "microdizing" finish (basically the LM201b alloy with primer and paint) like on the G5. However, there's always the chance that they might go with a more conventional anodizing method. We shall see.
They had to hear the criticism over that and won't do that for a second time. If they do that's on them and I really can't make any excuses for them if they make the same mistake twice with the same results. Sony is known for this. Hopefully LG won't join them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If this has support for Friends, I'd like to see a Friend attached.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Here's my thoughts. The idea of another modular phone isn't bad. The question is did LG learn from their mistakes the first time around? I'm willing to bet they did. The G5 still does what no metal phone today does: offer not only removable battery but extensions of the phone. You won't get that in a Samsung phone, One Plus, Moto Z(even though I like their implementation), iPhone or Nexus. LG has at least made their phones unique from all the other phones available right now and they should be commended for that. They just need to fix all the fit and finish issues the G5 suffered and not use that dumb coating that everyone complained about.(the phone felt just fine with my hands on with it to me) Expecting the V20 to retain the DAC from the V10 so no need for the unavailable in North America B&O "friend." So that leaves us with a revamped and beastly phone by itself. Secondly LG needs to make the "friends" extremely accessible if they're going to push it. They need to have promotional deals that include a choice of friends to make up for not having them readily available for the G5 launch. Other than that I think people are overreacting. The V20 will be the best phone of 2016. And if I'm wrong and LG screws it up I'll keep my V10 until I finish paying for it(and keep it as a classic in my collection/backup) and probably look elsewhere. Most likely give in to Samsung's dominant efforts unless the camera on the iPhone improves greatly over last generation. If I'm right though I'll be upgrading in October. Can't wait.

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to see a Friend attached.
I'd like to see even one new swappable friend for the G5 to convince me that LG's still got a stake in those modules. The majority of the friends pictured on LG's web site are wearables like wireless (or wired?) headsets.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys let's look at it this way.

POSITIVES

1. I'm betting that lg has struck better partnership deals as regards to modules. So they'll probably have more options by then in terms of quantity and quality of mods.

2. I noticed that the top still has those seams like the bottom one, meaning that the top might also be removable.

3. The V20 will probably have removable battery

4. It seems the V20 will have the IR blaster (which most people love)

5. The V20 will probably also have an FM radio (which I love)

6. The V20 will have a very high capacity battery (4,000+ mah)

7. The V20 will come with android Nougat

8. The V20 will come with dual cameras

9. The V20 will come with a ticker display (which is frankly better and more useful than an AOD, imo)

10. It seems the phone will be made from real brushed metal this time, from what I observed.

11. It seems that steel part of the V10 would still make an appearance, as if you look at it, you'd notice thesame extreme side rails, like the V10. Though its harder to see because this is probably the silver color.

12. This phone will probably look straight up gorgeous in pure black.

13. This phone will come with a Micro SD card

14. This phone might probably come with 6 gig ram.

15. This phone might even come with an upgraded processor.

So, what's not to like here?

Then again, if you don't like the modules, u can as well not use it, don't you think? As long as the phone is on par with what others are offering.

NEGATIVES

1. This phone will probably have just one front facing camera

2. This phone is too tall (from the leaked dimensions

3. I really don't like anything that reminds me of the G5

4. This phone will come with an LCD display

5. Bottom speakers

PROBABILITY

1. This phone might actually not be modular. The cut out at the other end doesn't seem to be at the right place. Its too high tbh, so maybe that's actually a camera shutter button?..

2. The phone might actually be painted with primer afterall, (lol). This alone will make the V20 an instant ignore for me but I frankly assume they're not that stupid).

3. The V20 might still have build quality issues (hope they sort this out)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes