Getting tired of biased reviews

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
LG earned their poor reviews though. The screens on the LGs were poor. The battery life was poor. The cameras were pretty good. They were slower phones than their competition. Other brands moved forward and LG went backward. You can easily go to a Best Buy and compare the LGs to the competition for 5 minutes and you'll see why they weren't reviewed well.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
LG earned their poor reviews though. The screens on the LGs were poor. The battery life was poor. The cameras were pretty good. They were slower phones than their competition. Other brands moved forward and LG went backward. You can easily go to a Best Buy and compare the LGs to the competition for 5 minutes and you'll see why they weren't reviewed well.

LG really does need to adopt amoled. Samsung's screens are just miles better at this point. My v10 had really bad battery life, so they definitely need to make this a priority on the v20. I would say LG's cameras are excellent, but I would love to see the v20 use the same type of fast focus tech that Samsung is using now.

That being said, LG's phones are in no way slower than the competition. My v10 rocked even with the 808 chip, and the g5 puts my s7 edge to shame in terms of responsiveness and fluidity. Their ui may be ugly as sin, but Samsung can take some tips from them in the optimization department.
http://www.droid-life.com/2016/05/03/5-reasons-lg-g5-worth-buying/

Check out reason #3 in that article and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm quite happy with my display. It's great for a phone. I will never buy a phone because of a screen and I have never understood why it is so important to people. It's a phone, not a TV.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
LG really does need to adopt amoled. Samsung's screens are just miles better at this point. My v10 had really bad battery life, so they definitely need to make this a priority on the v20. I would say LG's cameras are excellent, but I would love to see the v20 use the same type of fast focus tech that Samsung is using now.

That being said, LG's phones are in no way slower than the competition. My v10 rocked even with the 808 chip, and the g5 puts my s7 edge to shame in terms of responsiveness and fluidity. Their ui may be ugly as sin, but Samsung can take some tips from them in the optimization department.
http://www.droid-life.com/2016/05/03/5-reasons-lg-g5-worth-buying/

Check out reason #3 in that article and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I disagree that they need to go to AMOLED. They just need a better LCD display like the HTC 10 has. The problem with AMOLED displays is their burn-in.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, they DID earn it! you left off, "poor design" fugly phones..( uh oh, is fugly allowed? : )

i was LG's biggest fan with the LG Optimus G, Optimus Pro AND LG G2. For about a year and a half i practically devoted my youtube channel to them, TRYING to get ppl to "just give their amazing" phones a chance, sounding off and doing battle (but always keeping it polite : ) with ANYONE who dissed them if they hadn't TRIED them.... On some level i even like to think i had a hand in their rise : ) lol j/k...

But something happened to their phones after the G2's design that completely "lost me" and i ain't been back since. When they tried to "streamline their skin" with LG G3 and they removed quite a few features their phones were no longer appealing to me....i actually was kinda interested in V10 last year but since i ONLY like white color phones, the off white plastic back of V10 was a total fail in my opinion, so it never even made it past the "hold in hand" test....V20 looks A LOT more promising...Here's hoping : )

BTC

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

Poor reviews? I only started using LG phones with the G3 and then got the G4 and V10. All of them were reviewed really well. So if you're talking about LG phones prior to the G3 then I guess they finally learned something. And I wouldn't call LG screens "poor". They're not as overly saturated or as vibrant as AMOLED displays but they're not poor either. In some applications I actually prefer LG's QHD display over the AMOLED display. Battery life I'll agree with you on. The G3, G4 and the V10 were not very good. I couldn't make it a full day on a single charge with either of those phones but in fairness they all have removable backs so you can swap in a fresh battery.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I disagree that they need to go to AMOLED. They just need a better LCD display like the HTC 10 has. The problem with AMOLED displays is their burn-in.

While I don't doubt there are still case of burn in with amoled displays, I've never seen it on any amoled screen I've had. I've still got my galaxy note 3 that I'm using for a tv remote (I miss the ir blaster lol) and the display is still perfectly fine. Might've been the case with old amoled tech, but it's not much of an argument against it anymore. Even Apple is getting on the amoled bandwagon next year.

While lcd screens can still be really good, they just can't match the latest amoled screens in brightness and viewing angles.

htc-10-display-4.jpg

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, they DID earn it! you left off, "poor design" fugly phones..( uh oh, is fugly allowed? : )

i was LG's biggest fan with the LG Optimus G, Optimus Pro AND LG G2. For about a year and a half i practically devoted my youtube channel to them, TRYING to get ppl to "just give their amazing" phones a chance, sounding off and doing battle (but always keeping it polite : ) with ANYONE who dissed them if they hadn't TRIED them.... On some level i even like to think i had a hand in their rise : ) lol j/k...

But something happened to their phones after the G2's design that completely "lost me" and i ain't been back since. When they tried to "streamline their skin" with LG G3 and they removed quite a few features their phones were no longer appealing to me....i actually was kinda interested in V10 last year but since i ONLY like white color phones, the off white plastic back of V10 was a total fail in my opinion, so it never even made it past the "hold in hand" test....V20 looks A LOT more promising...Here's hoping : )

BTC

I've only been using LG phones for a couple years now but I thought the G3 was a solid design. The G4 was alright, not a huge improvement over the G3. The V10 however, was killer....my favorite LG phone by far. The steel side rails, rubberized back....it was the first phone I used where I felt like I could go without a case. I haven't used the G5...didn't care for the modular design and went back to Samsung. I'm hoping the V20 can bring me back to LG tho!

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've only been using LG phones for a couple years now but I thought the G3 was a solid design. .... I'm hoping the V20 can bring me back to LG tho!

Hi Leykis!

You were prolly one of those ppl i was trying to convince HOW GREAT the LG G2 was! Ya fnally came around with the LG G3 but by then i had abandoned the brand!

LG G2 with its symmetrical build & waterfall edges was my all time favorite phone of all time...THEN, T-Mobile upgraded it to Kit Kat & it became a "nightmare" to use & that was in the FIRST days of when Google no longer allowed you to downgrade to original firmware, so it lost me (not all LG's fault : )

BTC

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

BTC
I agree. I had an LG G2 and I wouldn't say I loved the phone, but that battery life was unmatched in any phone I've owned. If I remember correctly, I averaged about 7.5 hours of screen on time with that phone. It was amazing.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Poor reviews? I only started using LG phones with the G3 and then got the G4 and V10. All of them were reviewed really well. So if you're talking about LG phones prior to the G3 then I guess they finally learned something. And I wouldn't call LG screens "poor". They're not as overly saturated or as vibrant as AMOLED displays but they're not poor either. In some applications I actually prefer LG's QHD display over the AMOLED display. Battery life I'll agree with you on. The G3, G4 and the V10 were not very good. I couldn't make it a full day on a single charge with either of those phones but in fairness they all have removable backs so you can swap in a fresh battery.

Newer LG's aren't all that competitive with the offerings of other brands in my opinion. The V10 gets close, but falls short. A better screen and a bigger battery and the V20 will be competitive.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
While I don't doubt there are still case of burn in with amoled displays, I've never seen it on any amoled screen I've had. I've still got my galaxy note 3 that I'm using for a tv remote (I miss the ir blaster lol) and the display is still perfectly fine. Might've been the case with old amoled tech, but it's not much of an argument against it anymore. Even Apple is getting on the amoled bandwagon next year.

While lcd screens can still be really good, they just can't match the latest amoled screens in brightness and viewing angles.

View attachment 237300
My Note 5 is already starting to get burn-in where the system tray is at the top. I've never owned a phone with an AMOLED display that didn't get burn-in. My display is always on auto somewhere between 10 - 50% brightness. I'll take a good Super LCD display over a Super AMOLED display any day just for that reason.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My Note 5 is already starting to get burn-in where the system tray is at the top. I've never owned a phone with an AMOLED display that didn't get burn-in. My display is always on auto somewhere between 10 - 50% brightness. I'll take a good Super LCD display over a Super AMOLED display any day just for that reason.

Yea I'm not saying it can't happen but that hasn't been my experience with it at all. Just from hanging around various forums for years it definitely isn't a widespread issue anymore. For me at least, I'll take the outside chance that there could be an issue with burn in and have a much better display than settling for lcd.

If your issue with amoled is color reproduction, l on Samsung phones you can set the display profile to "basic" and it will be as color accurate as an lcd display but with better brightness and awesome viewing angles.

I will say, if LG's lcd displays were closer to htc's I'd even be happy with that. Theirs just aren't very good anymore compared to the competition. The iPhone 6s plus actually has an awesome lcd display despite its lower resolution.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If your issue with amoled is color reproduction, l on Samsung phones you can set the display profile to "basic" and it will be as color accurate as an lcd display but with better brightness and awesome viewing angles.

This has been a point I've seen countless times about AMOLED, but until I saw the Note 7 screen, that was never the case. Any time I played with one, I could never get an AMOLED screen anywhere close to the color accuracy of LCD. Even comparing the N7 to the G4, I still think the G4 edges out in terms of color accuracy. If future AMOLED's are that quality, then it wouldn't be an automatic deal breaker.

The brightness and viewing angles have never been an issue for me to bother with.

Hoggles

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Burn in with AMOLED is essentially a non-issue. Not doubting you may have some, but the overwhelmingly vast majority of millions of AMOLED displays out there, have zero burn in of any kind. I've had 7 phones with AMOLED, and none have ever had burn in. Not even close.

If you've had burn in on every single one you owned...might I suggest you change your display use habbits....because you're doing something different than most all people.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Burn in with AMOLED is essentially a non-issue. Not doubting you may have some, but the overwhelmingly vast majority of millions of AMOLED displays out there, have zero burn in of any kind. I've had 7 phones with AMOLED, and none have ever had burn in. Not even close.

If you've had burn in on every single one you owned...might I suggest you change your display use habbits....because you're doing something different than most all people.
Aside from me using my phone more than most people, I don't do anything unusual. Burn-in with AMOLEDs is still an issue for people that use their phones a lot throughout the day.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I went in to a Verizon store a while back looking at their displays. Every phone with an AMOLED display had bad burn in, but the LCD screens were mostly fine. Keep in mind, those display models had active demo apps running, not static screen images. If I were new to phones, that alone would have turned me off from about 90% of the offerings out there.

ChrisS9938

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
AMOLED is nice and its striking on reviews, but is it so much better it makes up for the lack of durability? I think the "friends" will disappear. While modularity was a neat concept, there are two of these phones out and neither has people clamoring for them. I think that LG will keep the removable bottom primarily for battery removal and replacement. I don't think "bias" is the right word. Samsung is the target, and the other Android devices are measured against it. LG missed the target with the G5. Good phone, but they bet on the wrong features. Now they need to start correcting that. V20 and G6 can erase any doubts if they deliver.