Retro buttons?

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else think that the possibility of side buttons is bad? I know that it has been a standard for over 5 years but the back buttons are a considerable improvement. They are easier to reach and harder to accidentally hit.

The battery life has been great for me. If an improved battery comes at the cost of retro buttons, then I will wait for the V30

Posted via the Android Central App

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
It's really just a matter of personal preference. The only positive thing I'll say about the volume rocker on the side of the phone is when I'm holding the phone on its side(landscape) to watch a movie or play games, its easier for me to adjust the volume. When they're on the back I'm having to feel around for them and would accidentally hit the power button. I owned the G3, G4 and the V10 and even after owning and using those phones for about 2 years I still would find myself hitting the power button when holding the phone on its side. But holding the phone vertically....yeah, I prefer them all on the back.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I never had that problem. I have more issues with the side buttons. Cases have powered it off, muted my phone, turned my screen off, and maxed out the volume. And when you have it on the side, you can only put your phone on one side, which has not always been well designed.

Since it is confirmed that the V20 will not have back buttons, then I am going to have to pass. The only positive feature on this phone now is the second screen.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
At least the power button / fingerprint scanner will still be on the back of the phone.

Never had those issues you were describing with the buttons on the side and I carry my phone around in my pocket quite a bit.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Certain cases have done it. It could also be because I am left handed. I don't know.

That's great, but unless the side buttons are so small that I can't feel them or could file them down, it doesn't improve the design.

Right now I can reach the volume button with my index finger while holding it. The new design will have me back to fumbling with my other fingers or juggling it around.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Not getting what could be a great phone because of side buttons....tough crowd. I never had issues with side buttons on any previous phone I've owned before the V10. I'm a lefty as well and every phone I've had before the V10 had the volume and power buttons(and in some cases camera buttons) on the right side of the device with a few exceptions.

Last edited:

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I got thoroughly spoiled by the back buttons on the G2, and the buttons on the G4 are even better. Is it a deal breaker? Depends on how compelling the rest of the phone is. At least it doesn't have a hideous looking power button on the middle of the chin.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I could go either way because I can see pros and cons for both styles. My G4 is the first phone I've had with back buttons. While I like them, there are times I'd prefer side buttons.

The only time I've had issues with the power or volume buttons on the side were on the M8. They were just notoriously sensitive, but a case actually fixed the issue.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I will inevitably be forced to choose but given just how much better my experience has been with the back buttons, I would prefer to avoid going back.

I'm honestly not looking forward to a lot of new things. As much as I love my LG URBANE, I really would rather not install AW 2.0.

I am not against change, as long as there is a valid reason for the changes. I know that an improved battery is a favorite new feature for some people. It doesn't matter to me, unless they somehow make the phone more of a battery hog than the V10. I get great battery life on my V10. And if you have to make room for the battery by removing the buttons, then why is the power button still there?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I will inevitably be forced to choose but given just how much better my experience has been with the back buttons, I would prefer to avoid going back.

I'm honestly not looking forward to a lot of new things. As much as I love my LG URBANE, I really would rather not install AW 2.0.

I am not against change, as long as there is a valid reason for the changes. I know that an improved battery is a favorite new feature for some people. It doesn't matter to me, unless they somehow make the phone more of a battery hog than the V10. I get great battery life on my V10. And if you have to make room for the battery by removing the buttons, then why is the power button still there?
I'd say keep the V10 then and wait for something else. It's still a great device and I'm considering keeping mine as well the closet we get to the launch day. I really have to see what LG has in store before I make that decision.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

I agree with RaRa85, stick with the V10 if the side buttons are a deal breaker for you. The V10 is still a great phone!

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else think that the possibility of side buttons is bad? I know that it has been a standard for over 5 years but the back buttons are a considerable improvement. They are easier to reach and harder to accidentally hit.

The battery life has been great for me. If an improved battery comes at the cost of retro buttons, then I will wait for the V30

YES YES YES YES YES.

This. 100% this. I will buy the V20 the moment it's available, but only if they keep the back buttons as is. No side buttons. Side buttons are evil.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
We shall see shortly. I will be sorely disappointed if that turns out to be true.

It is. The overall design is terrible. Less Rugged doesn’t make it more appealing, it makes it more likely to go through windows with how dry my hands are. I never looked past the G5 design when a rep showed it to me, because of the slick candy shell.

So yeah, I have no idea what to replace my V10 with right now. Definitely not the V20 and Samsung is never an option, so I got nothing...

boss.king

May 28, 2013
Visit site
This looks like a solid device. It reminds me of the early days of the Note line with all those extra bells and whistles. Hopefully it pays off for LG, they make some stellar phones and it's always good to see things like these come out and shake up the competition.

I hope they do eventually make a real Note competitor with a stylus. If anyone could do it well itd be LG.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
This looks like a solid device. It reminds me of the early days of the Note line with all those extra bells and whistles. Hopefully it pays off for LG, they make some stellar phones and it's always good to see things like these come out and shake up the competition.

I hope they do eventually make a real Note competitor with a stylus. If anyone could do it well itd be LG.

That doesn't actually encourage me. I remember when it came out. I might have to switch to a Note 7 though. My V10 screen just died.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084