Buttonless

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So there's a good chance I'll be leaving my Note 4 for the LG V20. This will be my first potential phone where there's no front physical home screen button. I've owned all previous Notes and have grown accustomed to the feel and functions of that button. My question is whether the back finger-print button on LG devices function as the physical home button does on Samsung devices - return to home, long press to get Google Now, etc. -?

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
No, the back button functions as the power button only.
However, lg has implemented a cool feature called knock on which enables you to wake the phone by tapping twice on the screen. You then tap twice on any area of space on the home screen or on the notification area to put the phone to sleep again.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
However, lg has implemented a cool feature called knock on which enables you to wake the phone by tapping twice on the screen. You then tap twice on any area of space on the home screen or on the notification area to put the phone to sleep again.

Depending on the launcher, it might only be the notification area.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the launcher, it might only be the notification area.
True, but I use Nova launcher along with an app called Screen Off. The paid version of Nova allows me to set up a gesture of a double tap to run the Screen Off app, therefore functioning exactly like the default launcher on my LG G4.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Next 3D has an add-on to enable double tapping their launcher home screens to lock the phone as well.

Going back to the OP, I was curious how well I'd like on screen buttons as well. I've quickly come to love them, especially how LG has allowed customizing their functions and placement. During full screen app use, such as gaming, they go away until I choose to call them back.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

If I ever switch from LG to another Android manufacturer, that knock on feature will be something I would desperately miss...

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
If I ever switch from LG to another Android manufacturer, that knock on feature will be something I would desperately miss...

Me too!! LOVE the screen knocks and knock code security on my LG phone. Don't even need to use the FPS or click a button. I kind of wish they gave us the option of a knock code less than 6 taps though, but I guess its for security.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I will have to look into that. Next 3D is what I use also.
You can set up a gesture to lock the screen. It's been a while since I went through the process, but I think it will then prompt you to install the Next Switch widget if you don't already have it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...p.nextlauncher.widget.switcher&token=85d4wcw6

I don't think you have to do anything with the widget itself other than install it. Even if you do, I do know you don't have to leave the widget on the screen. I haven't had it on in ages.

(Was beginning to think I was the only Next 3D user here. Lol)

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was 4 taps? Thats what I always used.
I love the knock on feature but it doesn't always work 100% of the time for me. In fact this is the same as the FPS..

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Me too!! LOVE the screen knocks and knock code security on my LG phone. Don't even need to use the FPS or click a button. I kind of wish they gave us the option of a knock code less than 6 taps though, but I guess its for security.

Yes! It's so wonderful to just tap your screen to get notifications, the time, etc without picking it up.

Yeah, true! Must be for security reasons. Don't think LG will make this into an app, because that would be cool... But they must want to keep that purely an LG experience; which I understand.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance