Will the LG V20 have a non- exploding removeable battery?

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
O:) Hi huungryShark: Could you explain better at what-Exactly you're

referring to..Are you imply that LG-Has a Non exploding removable

battery Phone as Comparison, with the Samsung exploded phone

battery-Recall. If you want more comments more details required

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The battery is lithium technology, so the possibility of overheating is still there. It's not a "Samsung goofed" thing, it's a "we still have a way to go with lithium technology" thing. Sony had a batch of them blow up years ago. Now Samsung. Why do you think Chevy doesn't make lithium battery cars?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
ANY recharge-capable battery chemistry can vent, and depending on how its contained can result in a sudden burst of energy release (IE an explosion). Venting chemistries can be more or less flammable/combustable depending ing on the battery type.

So in other words theres no such thing as a battery chemistry thats 100% immune to venting and gassing out. So it would be wrong for LG to make a claim like this. [EDIT] ... and they (correctly) have not made a claim like the OP is questioning.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
ANY recharge-capable battery chemistry can vent, and depending on how its contained can result in a sudden burst of energy release (IE an explosion). Venting chemistries can be more or less flammable/combustable depending ing on the battery type.

So in other words theres no such thing as a battery chemistry thats 100% immune to venting and gassing out. So it would be wrong for LG to make a claim like this.

LG did not make any claims

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Lithium batteries are actually pretty safe when handled normally. Unless there's a defect, you pretty much have to physically abuse the battery (shorting it, puncturing, etc). Under typical use, even by power users, they rarely go poof. If you don't believe me, you should see some of the stuff they put up with in modern RC helicopter 3D flying. Dropping your little phone a couple feet is nothing compared to a 12 lb heli slamming into the ground at full throttle, yet those batteries often live on.

Having a bad batch of batteries is an issue, but it's not something worth fearing lithium batteries in general.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it will likely be removable.

Though it won't be "non-exploding", as it will certainly explode if it's either badly made or mishandled. That's a thing with lithium batteries in general.

Look at the hoverboard fires (badly made batteries), Tesla Model S fires (damage caused by foreign debris) or some other phone fires (badly handled or badly made).

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Heh. It's likely that LG made the battery for the Note 7 in their chem division.

It's good to know that the OP has confirmed this LG battery won't explode.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, it will likely be removable.

Though it won't be "non-exploding", as it will certainly explode if it's either badly made or mishandled. That's a thing with lithium batteries in general.

Look at the hoverboard fires (badly made batteries), Tesla Model S fires (damage caused by foreign debris) or some other phone fires (badly handled or badly made).

I think it's disgusting that manufacturers would rather produce a phone on a timeline then putting out a quality product. Early failures or products with poor QC out of the box are just not acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think it's disgusting that manufacturers would rather produce a phone on a timeline then putting out a quality product. Early failures or products with poor QC out of the box are just not acceptable as far as I'm concerned.
Every product made is on a timeline. When products are manufactured, there is always a timeline, even if it is soft fluffy houseshoes. Businesses don't generally sign a contract to buy from you when your delivery date comes back as "when it is finished".

The timeline has nothing to do with this. A company that makes battery cells every day had a problem. This happens in manufacturing sometimes. When it does, it can cause a problem for a fabricator who fabricates every single day also.

Samsung released the Note 7 one year after the Note 5.

Where was the rush?

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

You cannot over estimate the problems of software and other hardware screwups. I had the LG v10 and it was hot like blazes and battery life was 6 hours in standby use. There was a problem with sever addresses with MS Exchange accts causing the phone to continually try access the incorrect servers all day and night long. It caused a battery to belly and expand and it ultimately fried my Galaxy Note 2.

Samsung replaced the insides of the Note 2 and it was fabulous until the phone satellite antenna can't seem to find satellites. It's getting hot searching for satellites all day and ask night, batteries are swelling and later they can cause even more problems.

The safeguard with replaceable batteries is that you remove them, feel them and look to see if they are swelling as you you can see as you handle them and swap them out for charged batteries, there's a problem. If it has swollen a great deal it might not fit back into the phone, that protects it from exploding as do the visuals and touching. If you're battery has a belly and can spin on it, you need to fix or replace your phone and get new batteries. You also need to turn off location services until you need them for maps.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Heh. It's likely that LG made the battery for the Note 7 in their chem division.

It's good to know that the OP has confirmed this LG battery won't explode.

I have seen this mentioned before... where is this information coming from? Has Samsung named their faulty battery supplier? I ask because Samsung has their own battery manufacturing plant(s) for 18650 cells... so it seems logical for them to tool up and manufacture their flat cells for their phones. Maybe its a capacity/throughput issue and they need support from external suppliers.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this mentioned before... where is this information coming from? Has Samsung named their faulty battery supplier? I ask because Samsung has their own battery manufacturing plant(s) for 18650 cells... so it seems logical for them to tool up and manufacture their flat cells for their phones. Maybe its a capacity/throughput issue and they need support from external suppliers.
I saw the Exec interviewed and he said he wouldn't name the company because it was ultimately his responsibility.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Samsung won't say and are taking the blame themselves.

But LG makes the batteries for many Samsung phones, as well as many other phones. If Samsung didn't make it (they did say it wasn't theirs) it was probably LG.

LG is to batteries what Samsung is to displays. If a phone is sealed and needs a battery a specific shape, size and density, the people making it look to LG.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thats admirable of them, taking the heat instead of hanging their supply chain partners out to dry.
Well a lot of times with Asian companies you see a very different thing. I've seen Asian execs actually commit suicide when something goes wrong that is out of their control.

He was basically saying that in his position, he is responsible for anything that goes wrong, the buck stops with him. That is a pretty admirable position to take, though not always necessary. Usually we see the opposite, people want to point the finger elsewhere when they are responsible.