Will Bluetooth sound be improved? (theoretically)

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Sort of kicking the tires on the V20. Besides 2 replacements due to bootloops (ugh), my G4 has been a solid phone with a camera I truly love. So I guess im wondering if there will be enough improvements to merit a purchase.

Not knowing much at all about Bluetooth, will all this supposed sound improvement only be noticeable directly wired from phone, or, in theory, if I have a bluetooth speaker, will I notice a sound improvement? I guess I truly dont understand the tech dealing with this aspect.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the Bluetooth audio codecs the V20 would support. If they're placing an emphasis on high quality audio, I imagine they'd also include support for high quality wireless audio.

To notice the better sound over Bluetooth, both the host (the V20 in this case) and the target (your headphones or speaker) will need to support the higher quality audio. Even when you get the V20, you may also need to buy new speakers to get the benefit of the better audio.

markyboy81

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Sort of kicking the tires on the V20. Besides 2 replacements due to bootloops (ugh), my G4 has been a solid phone with a camera I truly love. So I guess im wondering if there will be enough improvements to merit a purchase.

Not knowing much at all about Bluetooth, will all this supposed sound improvement only be noticeable directly wired from phone, or, in theory, if I have a bluetooth speaker, will I notice a sound improvement? I guess I truly dont understand the tech dealing with this aspect.

Don't forget the lg v10 already supports apt-x so sounds awesome. I have several headphones and speakers that also support apt-x and they sound great to me.
There is a higher quality codec now that's even better than apt-x, but this would require upgrading all your headphones and speakers to take advantage.
I'm no audiophile but I did notice an improvement with the audio quality via Bluetooth of the v10 vs phones I've owned previously. Having said that I didn't notice an improvement between wired and wireless, which goes to show how high the quality is via Bluetooth.
I don't think the v20 will disappoint when it comes to bluetooth audio quality, but in my view it doesn't really need to improve.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
unrelated... apologies (and thanks for the info!), was there a supposed camera improvement in the V10 vs the G4/G5?

The G4 hype machine (which actually lived up to my expectations) went nuts on the camera, but since the G4, the camera (still pics, not video) barely gets a mention.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
unrelated... apologies (and thanks for the info!), was there a supposed camera improvement in the V10 vs the G4/G5?

The G4 hype machine (which actually lived up to my expectations) went nuts on the camera, but since the G4, the camera (still pics, not video) barely gets a mention.
The camera hardware on the G4 and V10 are the same (not sure about the G5), with the only difference being added manual video controls on the V10.

Going back to the original post, all the hype about the better sound is about the quad DAC, which would only affect wired connections. When using Bluetooth audio, it's a digital to digital transmission, and the Bluetooth device would have its own built in DAC to convert the audio independent of the phone.

JustCreepin

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Okay...so the takeaway for me is that I need to switch from Bluetooth to a wired/AUX connection in my car to notice the difference/improvement to audio that everyone will be talking about?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay...so the takeaway for me is that I need to switch from Bluetooth to a wired/AUX connection in my car to notice the difference/improvement to audio that everyone will be talking about?

You may or may not notice the difference depending on the Bluetooth audio codecs of the V20 and what's on the receiving end. That will also applied to a wired connection.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Finally upgrade my G4 to the V20 with T-Mo's sweet promo. I must say even on BT the sound improvement is quite noticeable. Even on something like a podcast.

Very stoked on the V20 and glad I waited to upgrade.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
I tried numerous blue tooth headphones with my V20 because the smallest B&O earbud fittings were to big for my ears. I noticed a pretty drastic drop in sound Quality with Bluetooth as opposed to the wired headphones - there's a reason they included the headphone Jack on the V20. I'm a serious audiophile mostly classic rock, hard rock, & metal (Sabbath, Drowning Pool, Slipknot, Pantera...) My brother in-law has the V20 and makes awesome quality sounding recordings for the band he sings in ( well sang in they broke up)

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I tried numerous blue tooth headphones with my V20 because the smallest B&O earbud fittings were to big for my ears. I noticed a pretty drastic drop in sound Quality with Bluetooth as opposed to the wired headphones - there's a reason they included the headphone Jack on the V20. I'm a serious audiophile mostly classic rock, hard rock, & metal (Sabbath, Drowning Pool, Slipknot, Pantera...) My brother in-law has the V20 and makes awesome quality sounding recordings for the band he sings in ( well sang in they broke up)

If you get Bluetooth that supports APT-X you will get decent sound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance