V20: Doomed to fail?

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm very interested in this phone but I don't think I'll stay interested if it's more than $700, and availability better be announced soon, having a launch event without a release date is just dumb and OEMs should know better by now.

They can recover the momentum if the wait isn't too long, I don't think it's already a failure it has potential.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in this phone but seeing as I don't know the outcome of the bootloop yet and the price of this phone might be more than $700 (which is ridiculous) I might just stay with Google.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
IPhone 7 plus for me

LG not updating their phones is a NO GO

I bought a LG phone last year and never(!) got any updates

SCREW THEM

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
They're still using that ugly UI. LG - it's time to class it up a bit!

I hope not, I wouldn't have much reason to stick with LG at that point.

Samsung has made improvements to TouchWiz, but I would still prefer to remove chunks of it if I could. LG is simple and clean.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
We shouldn't compare the V20 to the iPhone 7 (not plus). They might have the same price, but when it comes to features the V20 comes out way ahead. IMHO, if the V20 is available at $650 as an unlocked version, I'd buy it.

I was only comparing the price, nothing more.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Any advantage that LG thought they gained by showing the V20 now, just before the Apple Iphone event, is totally lost if they can't beat Apple in getting their phone into the store. Don't wet my appetite and not give me something to eat. I wouldn't wait and will look elsewhere for food.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
1. Should they have waited to announce it or announced it even earlier and had a longer wait between announcement and release?

2. Mostly everyone not Apple fails at that. You better have availability and pricing ready for your announcement.

3. Unlocked phones only make up about 10% of US sales. Carriers still matter here.

4. Not every phone can be "cheap".

Don't carriers have to unlock your phone now when you ask after what 90 days of service?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any advantage that LG thought they gained by showing the V20 now, just before the Apple Iphone event, is totally lost if they can't beat Apple in getting their phone into the store. Don't wet my appetite and not give me something to eat. I wouldn't wait and will look elsewhere for food.
I doubt there was much advantage one way or another. By and large, people are either Apple, Samsung, or "other." I'm willing to bet had the V20 been released a full month before the iPhone 7, it wouldn't make much difference in sales between the two. Same with the Note and Galaxy phones compared to the V20. Those two companies have brand loyalty locked down.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't carriers have to unlock your phone now when you ask after what 90 days of service?

Every carrier has a different but similar policy.

And for the sake of this thread, people here are referring to unlocked phones with no carrier bloatware. A SIM-unlocked AT&T phone would still have AT&T's bloatware.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I doubt there was much advantage one way or another. By and large, people are either Apple, Samsung, or "other." I'm willing to bet had the V20 been released a full month before the iPhone 7, it wouldn't make much difference in sales between the two. Same with the Note and Galaxy phones compared to the V20. Those two companies have brand loyalty locked down.
I'm inclined to agree. Between massive advertising dollars spent between the two, and people usually go with what their friends have, this is an uphill battle.

For the most part, it would take a major stumble for either company to lose followers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree. Between massive advertising dollars spent between the two, and people usually go with what their friends have, this is an uphill battle.

For the most part, it would take a major stumble for either company to lose followers.

And phones blowing up might not even be severe enough to significantly to impact market share.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
And phones blowing up might not even be severe enough to significantly to impact market share.
Lol, true!

But I have seen a fair number of people considering the V20 as a result of the Note 7E (Note 7 Exploding edition).

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
V20: Doomed to fail?

I hope not, I kinda like it so far(if no boot-loop issues). Must get hands-on with it. Down to this or Pixel XL to replace my awesome Nexus 6 when/if the wheels fall off. :D

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the S6 omitting of the SD card and removable battery didn't make that much of a dent in overall sales.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non