V20: Doomed to fail?

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
This is how LG becomes another HTC or Blackberry:

1. Hype the phone for weeks on social media and then announce it at 9pm EST the night before the iPhone drops. Really? Brilliant idea.
2. Hype the phone for weeks on social media and then have no release date, no pre-order info, nothing other than "3rd quarter".
3. Carrier only in the U.S. with no unlocked version. This is not a successful business model in late 2016 when the carriers hump Galaxies and iPhones.
4. Apparently this will be priced to compete with high end flagships.....good luck with that. This phone would KILL unlocked at $500.00 and easily crush One Plus, ZTE, Alcatel and maybe even Lenovorola. At $800 plus it has NO CHANCE.

I simply don't understand what companies like HTC and LG think they are doing by continuing to attempt to compete with Apple and Samsung. The war is over and everyone else lost.

That being said, the device itself seems solid, if uninspiring, and I'll probably pick one up off of swappa post- release.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
No release date sucks for sure. Hopefully there's only a short pre order period before it becomes available.

The g5 was sold unlocked through b&h, so there's a chance it'll be the same with the v20.

The only rumored price I've seen was $650 on T-Mobile, which would be right in line with the v10. With all the bells and whistles on this phone, it would be hard to argue that it's not worth that much.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
No release date sucks for sure. Hopefully there's only a short pre order period before it becomes available.

The g5 was sold unlocked through b&h, so there's a chance it'll be the same with the v20.

The only rumored price I've seen was $650 on T-Mobile, which would be right in line with the v10. With all the bells and whistles on this phone, it would be hard to argue that it's not worth that much.

Tweets from the attendees last night said to expect premium pricing on the V20....if true, that's insane.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A bit too early to tell. We haven't got official pricing and availability info, which I think is a bit silly at this point in time.

The real kicker, I think, is it not being available in Europe.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
A bit too early to tell. We haven't got official pricing and availability info, which I think is a bit silly at this point in time.

The real kicker, I think, is it not being available in Europe.
Yeah you think with targeting a niche market like audiophfiles they would want to have the phone available in every country possible.

Devil13n

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site

1. Hype the phone for weeks on social media and then announce it at 9pm EST the night before the iPhone drops. Really? Brilliant idea.
2. Hype the phone for weeks on social media and then have no release date, no pre-order info, nothing other than "3rd quarter".
3. Carrier only in the U.S. with no unlocked version. This is not a successful business model in late 2016 when the carriers hump Galaxies and iPhones.
4. Apparently this will be priced to compete with high end flagships.....good luck with that. This phone would KILL unlocked at $500.00 and easily crush One Plus, ZTE, Alcatel and maybe even Lenovorola. At $800 plus it has NO CHANCE.

I simply don't understand what companies like HTC and LG think they are doing by continuing to attempt to compete with Apple and Samsung. The war is over and everyone else lost.

That being said, the device itself seems solid, if uninspiring, and I'll probably pick one up off of swappa post- release.

I agree. Looks like they got the phone itself right, but everything else wrong.

Would love to say that the phone should be the only thing that matters, but everything else plays into it.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site

if there's an RS988-style model of this phone, that's the one I'd purchase.... and my VS990 is going back to the V of Doom.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
V20 looks like a great phone if it performs the way it claims to...i have used lg g4 loved it...
V20 is perfect for power users...
I doubt lg fans would shift to apple or other way round
Both pricing will be very different
I have a feeling v20 will be a hit
I was looking forward to G5 but with modular less mah battery
I shifted to S7 Edge...totally lovin it
I use lumia 950 ds and s7 edge
May think of v20 by end of this year...lets wait and watch

Posted via Limited Edition Lumia 950 with Mozo Case or Beautiful Gold S7 Edge or Surface pro 4 or Lumia 1020 or motoe or iphone 5s

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Not doomed to fail at all.

Since the V10 is carrier-only in the US, no unlocked version, it's a superb bet that it will never seen Android 7. Moving up to 7 while keeping the LG goodness means moving to V20.

We'll see if they stick with the $800 price or not. And that depends on the carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

1. Should they have waited to announce it or announced it even earlier and had a longer wait between announcement and release?

2. Mostly everyone not Apple fails at that. You better have availability and pricing ready for your announcement.

3. Unlocked phones only make up about 10% of US sales. Carriers still matter here.

4. Not every phone can be "cheap".

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Is it because they're LG, they're not allowed to price their phones at that level?

Or are all phones overpriced to you?
It is because they are LG. But also because most flagships are overpriced. The overwhelming majority of people would agree that LG and Samsung phones should not be priced at the same level. They are not at the same level in quality. I'm slowly changing my view of what I think I need in a phone. The mid range phones are getting better and better to the point that it's almost not worth it or needed for most people to spend $800+ for a top of the line flagship. Even the definition of what a flagship phone is is becoming more and more blurred.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it's set to fail. However, it doesn't seem to be starting out right.

I agree with the cryptic release timeframe. 3rd quarter...ok. Third quarter of the standard calendar, or third quarter of their fiscal calendar (which can be different from a standard one)?

The $650 price point is already in the same league as the iPhone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just checked and Verizon is still selling the V10 at $672. So either that's going to take a deep discount to keep the V20 within that range, or the V20 is going to start out a fair bit more. I suspect a mix of the two (just a gut feeling, not based on any rumour) is likely, but that it'll be more tilted towards a fairly expensive phone without much of a discount on the V10.

Not saying I think the phone is worth this much, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a $700-750 price point. $800 if the V10 isn't discounted at all. It wouldn't make any sense to keep the two anywhere near close in price, especially with the offers the V20 will likely come with at first. Ear buds? Check. Other freebies like extra battery or SD card? Possible. Another up to $300 trade in credit promo with Verizon? Pretty likely. All that combined could value the phone itself at less than the V10.