Screen brightness vs Note 7

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I don't care about an IR blaster so that would never be a reason to get a phone. I rarely used it when I had phones that had them.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
For me, screens can be weird. I can look at the Galaxy S7E and my Note7 next to an iPhone and there is no doubt which screen is better. I looked at the S7E and my Note7 next to a V10 last night and I thought the V10 screen looked better.

So after your comparison of the phones, which is brighter. You only said you could tell, but not which one. 😉

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
https://youtu.be/VE1RolWNr3Y

Here's a great video reviewing the v20's display. It's actually really bright topping out at over 700 nits, which is brighter than Samsung's panels in auto mode. The note 7 for example will reach over 1k nits, but only in with auto brightness usually in direct sunlight, so good on LG in that regard.

However, color accuracy, color temperature and viewing angles were all pretty bad, meaning that it's pretty much a really bright but poorly calibrated display.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Here's a great video reviewing the v20's display. It's actually really bright topping out at over 700 nits, which is brighter than Samsung's panels in auto mode. The note 7 for example will reach over 1k nits, but only in with auto brightness usually in direct sunlight, so good on LG in that regard.

However, color accuracy, color temperature and viewing angles were all pretty bad, meaning that it's pretty much a really bright but poorly calibrated display.

I thought the G5 had a feature where it got brighter than normal in bright sunlight so I can't imagine the V20 being different.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Several people on here were adamant that I couldn't tell that the V20's display was bad based on the videos I was watching that showed the phone. The Android Authority V20 display review proved them wrong.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Several people on here were adamant that I couldn't tell that the V20's display was bad based on the videos I was watching that showed the phone. The Android Authority V20 display review proved them wrong.

If display is that important to you then you shouldn't be looking at an LG phone to begin with. You're better off spending a few hundred more and getting a Samsung.

Color accuracy doesn't mean as much to me as does having a removable battery, IR blaster, expandable memory and a flat screen.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought the n7 was 1000 nits with the auto turned off? Wouldn't that make the n7 brighter than the v20?

Any recent Samsung phones don't come close to their max brightness without auto mode enabled. My s7 edge is good in didn't sunlight at manual 100%, but it's awesome in auto mode.

One thing I've noticed about LG phones is that they don't get very bright until you're close to maxing out the brightness. At 50% the g5 isn't even close to the s7 edge in brightness, but the g5 starts to get really bright somewhere around 80%.

So I've accepted the fact that the screen and camera (in auto mode) will probably be much better on my s7e than on the v20, but I'm pumped about the audio experience and I really miss a removable battery and ir blaster enough to make the switch. The straight buttery performance on the v20 is gonna be a nice change too:cool:

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If display is that important to you then you shouldn't be looking at an LG phone to begin with. You're better off spending a few hundred more and getting a Samsung.

Color accuracy doesn't mean as much to me as does having a removable battery, IR blaster, expandable memory and a flat screen.
I was hoping LG would fix their display so I could consider the V20, but that display keeps it from being an option for me. I have a Samsung now. I'm hoping the HTC Pixel phones turn out well.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Any recent Samsung phones don't come close to their max brightness without auto mode enabled. My s7 edge is good in didn't sunlight at manual 100%, but it's awesome in auto mode.

One thing I've noticed about LG phones is that they don't get very bright until you're close to maxing out the brightness. At 50% the g5 isn't even close to the s7 edge in brightness, but the g5 starts to get really bright somewhere around 80%.

So I've accepted the fact that the screen and camera (in auto mode) will probably be much better on my s7e than on the v20, but I'm pumped about the audio experience and I really miss a removable battery and ir blaster enough to make the switch. The straight buttery performance on the v20 is gonna be a nice change too:cool:

What is the s7e output?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You can't accurately tell based on videos that you view on different device. The review just confirms what you suspected to be true.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's quite a bit brighter than the v20. Why did the reviewer say the Sammy products were less bright then if you use them one in auto mode.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought the n7 was 1000 nits with the auto turned off? Wouldn't that make the n7 brighter than the v20?
It can only hit 1k nits with auto on and being in sunlight. Only the system can trigger it - not the user.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I need to see clearly in sunlight wearing sunglasses. I remember hearing that wasn't possible with V10?

I do this every day. I keep the phone at 25-32% indoors and when I venture out of the office to go walk off Pokemon Eggs, I kick it up to 70%. I can see it just fine unless I am in landscape (polarized sunglasses).

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I hope they cure the polarized glasses problem in landscape in the v20

It's not a phone issue. It's whichever way the glasses are polarized. Some will not be able to see portrait, others will not be able to see landscape. I've had this on every phone I have ever owned.

Edit: OK, maybe not on my StarTAC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech