LG X ($150) has 4100 MaH battery, V20 (flagship) only 3200

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
FWIW... The less capable battery in the V10/20 does not result in a significantly thinner device either.

Xpower = .31 inches
V20 = .299 inches
V10 = .34 inches

A flagship device in this price range should have a flagship battery... whether its removable or not is irrelevant. This is a design flaw or oversight on LGs part.

Kenakth

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to preface this by saying I am not an electrical engineer, nor am I an expert in smart phone design.

The V20 is only very slightly larger than the LG X Power is, so overall, there isn't that much more room in the device. I would assume that a more powerful processor and more ram likely take up more space inside a device. Additionally, the V20 has features such as a quad DAC that the X Power does not. This takes up room as well. Finally, the ports to connect a fixed battery are much smaller than the ports to connect a removable battery. All of that combined is likely why the V20 doesn't have a 4,100 mAH battery. Could they have fit it? Sure, if they made the phone bigger, but most people don't want a thick, heavy brick for a phone. Those who do may eventually be able to get larger removable backs which would accommodate a larger battery from third party sources.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
FWIW... the Galaxy S7, edge and active phones are thicker than their S6 predecessors because of their thicker batteries. I don't think I have read one negative comment about the increased S7 thickness. While there are countless positive comments praising the added battery capacity from the Sammy fans.

So while no one wants to carry a ZeroLemon 9000mah brick... I don't believe a 4100 battery needs to be, even with the ESS 32 bit DAC, and all the flagship LG features.

philip1766

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Y'all are missing the point. Why do you need a big battery if a. its a quick charging phone and b. It is REMOVABLE. you can get a bigger battery if you want.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Y'all are missing the point. Why do you need a big battery if a. its a quick charging phone and b. It is REMOVABLE. you can get a bigger battery if you want.
Quick charging is great for boosting a low battery, but doesn't give much of a gain overall when charging to 100%. Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but I've done some extra reading on charging Li-ion.

All lithium chargers go through stages. Once you hit about 75-80%, the charge rate slows. Think of it like filling a bucket. If you keep the water hose on full blast, it'll start spilling over before it's completely full. If you reduce the water pressure, it won't spill over and you can fill it right to the top. It's a similar principle at the chemical level with batteries. From what I've read, the quicker the charge rate in the first stage, the slower the charge rate in the second. (The third stage being the float charge to keep it at 100%)

And if you look at the marketing for QC2.0/3.0, they don't advertise quicker full charging. They are only advertising quicker from 0-80% or so. I do think I'll be getting the V20 and looking forward to checking out the bigger battery options. That plus quick charging will be sweet. Depending on size and my usage, I could see a case of charging it for less time yet getting over the stock 3200mAh capacity because the bigger battery would allow for higher capacity before hitting the slower second stage.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Quick charging is great for boosting a low battery, but doesn't give much of a gain overall when charging to 100%. Don't get me wrong, I like having it, but I've done some extra reading on charging Li-ion.

All lithium chargers go through stages. Once you hit about 75-80%, the charge rate slows. Think of it like filling a bucket. If you keep the water hose on full blast, it'll start spilling over before it's completely full. If you reduce the water pressure, it won't spill over and you can fill it right to the top. It's a similar principle at the chemical level with batteries. From what I've read, the quicker the charge rate in the first stage, the slower the charge rate in the second. (The third stage being the float charge to keep it at 100%)

And if you look at the marketing for QC2.0/3.0, they don't advertise quicker full charging. They are only advertising quicker from 0-80% or so. I do think I'll be getting the V20 and looking forward to checking out the bigger battery options. That plus quick charging will be sweet. Depending on size and my usage, I could see a case of charging it for less time yet getting over the stock 3200mAh capacity because the bigger battery would allow for higher capacity before hitting the slower second stage.

If you can get to 80 percent by quick charging that's good enough for most situations. The G5 charges from 0 to 100 in just over an hour.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
So a large battery HAS TO be non removable?... And vise versa?

That makes no sense.

LG dropped the ball on this one.

Actually, I don't believe LG dropped any ball. Any design has compromises. Most people want their phone to be slim.and light. In order to be competitive, LG had an impossible order to create as thin a phone as possible to compete with other flagship devices, while having a replaceable battery and back which would have added thickness to the phone. A larger battery would have probably necessitated a thicker phone. For those who care more about capacity over thickness, they should be able to buy a bigger battery and a compatible back.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong... the V20 is a SOLID design (IMHO). It and its sibling V10 are the only phones I would even consider spending this kind of dough on. All I am saying is this, Do people really care that much about the thickness of the phone? The S7 active and S7 edge are both thicker than their predecessors and I have not read or seen ANY negative comments about either being too thick. Yet there are 100s of raving reviews about battery life, and higher capacity batteries. So if you can have it all and no one really minds the added thickness... why not?

LG has been making their own proprietary Lithium batteries since day-1. They are also a supplier to countless other manufacturers who require them. I don't believe for a second they could not have made a higher capacity battery for either the V10 or V20, albeit with a slightly thicker profile.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong... the V20 is a SOLID design (IMHO). It and its sibling V10 are the only phones I would even consider spending this kind of dough on. All I am saying is this, Do people really care that much about the thickness of the phone? The S7 active and S7 edge are both thicker than their predecessors and I have not read or seen ANY negative comments about either being too thick. Yet there are 100s of raving reviews about battery life, and higher capacity batteries. So if you can have it all and no one really minds the added thickness... why not?

LG has been making their own proprietary Lithium batteries since day-1. They are also a supplier to countless other manufacturers who require them. I don't believe for a second they could not have made a higher capacity battery for either the V10 or V20, albeit with a slightly thicker profile.

...maybe LG didn't want the V20 to be thicker than it already is.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
...maybe LG didn't want the V20 to be thicker than it already is.
No kidding. Why have a thicker phone that's flush all long the back and includes a big battery, when you can use a smaller battery to make only most of the phone thin with the exception of the now more exposed camera glass? Lol