Should I consider a V20? Currently a NOTE5 user

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Was looking to upgrade our phones soon, we may just do my wife's at this point, with the Samsung Note fiasco and the S7 Edge being a bit older and ridiculously expensive (as is the note7) I'm really wondering if I should just sit tight with my note5.

I went to the VZ store today to look around and looked at the V10, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm a big guy, have big hands and the size was fine, the V20 is a bit slimmer and as a result will probably be similar in size to my note 5 by the time I put a case on it. The build quality felt great on the V10, it was fast and the camera seemed good as well.

I came home and began reading up on the V20, it seems like it may be a great option. I'm especially intrigued by the audiophile grade DACs, how this translates into SQ on a plane with noise cancellation or during a workout I'm not sure...but as an audiophile with a substantial setup here at the house I'm definitely "listening"...

I do have some concerns regarding the V20 quality, especially after reading here about numerous boot issues and software glitches. I do use my phone a lot for work and travel a lot...

Any thoughts on going LG V20 over keeping my note 5 or going for an S7 Edge or Note 7?

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I have a V10 and have been a Note lover (had the 2 & 3) and wanted the 5 until Sammy dropped SD and battery. I am very tempted with the new N7 but I do love my V10. So I will wait for the V20's launch before I upgrade. By the way, I had/have NO issues with my V10!
To me, you can't go wrong eather way. But, the V20 Will be more rugged.

Lateck,

Axi6Ne8us

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I had a Note 5, gave that up. Had a galaxy s7 edge ... gave that up! Landed the LG V10, and haven't gone back.
My patience is running thin for the V20. :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, we can't really know if the phone we have will bootloop. As far as I know, the V10 did not have that issue, or it was at least not on the scale as the G4. I guess all we can do is back up our files and make sure everything is secure.

However, the V20 looks like a stellar device and if you decide to go that route, I think it would be a good one. The Note series is awesome, too - so I get that it's a tough decision!

Let us know what you decide! :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
No offense at all to the OP, but always funny when folks ask in a thread of the device, if the device would be a good choice :)

That said, the Note 7 replacement devices are getting in general rave speed and battery life feedback. The power hungry display on the V20 is my issue and so is the price if $800. IMO the Note 7 is better at that price (no water resistance with V20), but $700... Then more subjective for a Note 5 owner....

I know the replaceable battery is nice, but the display drain kind of makes it a compelling option. The V20 gets less than half the battery life than the Note 7 when streaming video at same NITs. That is a good basic test for how much a display drains compared to other devices.

Regardless, if a V10 user, etc, the V20 looks great and ditto for a lot of other folks. Should be a solid device, but battery life and display contrast not a strong suit. Still do not get why LG does not vest more in better displays for their phones. They are a display integrated company.

All that about the battery, very easy to keep a spare and replace, so I would still consider the V20. Just wish it released sooner before I travel.

Last edited:

PaulieC83

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been eyeing this phone up as well and I'm excited to actually hold one in hand. I'd be coming from a g3 so I'm a bit concerned about the size difference but I've become somewhat of an LG fan since having the g3 and I'd really like to stick with the brand

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My biggest problem is the LG phones uses an IPS LCD. With a huge 5.7 inch screen, it seems to drain the battery faster. I went back and forth with the LG G5 and S7 and noticed the S7 had more reliable battery life and more solid build quality. The camera though, blows the Samsung phones out the water.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been eyeing this phone up as well and I'm excited to actually hold one in hand. I'd be coming from a g3 so I'm a bit concerned about the size difference but I've become somewhat of an LG fan since having the g3 and I'd really like to stick with the brand

I have an LG G3 too and that has made me really like the brand, too! :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My biggest problem is the LG phones uses an IPS LCD. With a huge 5.7 inch screen, it seems to drain the battery faster. I went back and forth with the LG G5 and S7 and noticed the S7 had more reliable battery life and more solid build quality. The camera though, blows the Samsung phones out the water.

How does it blow it out of the water? Seems both are good with their own distinct advantages. Reviews so far concur.

The display is power hungry. MXPE level.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just read an article that said the display ips tech uses less power than amoled. In a way it makes sense. Look at the iPhone which has an ips screen and smaller battery than the note 7 but the battery life is equal to it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just read an article that said the display ips tech uses less power than amoled. In a way it makes sense. Look at the iPhone which has an ips screen and smaller battery than the note 7 but the battery life is equal to it.

Only if an all white display and nothing else. On average, IPS consumes a lot more battery because the whole panel is on all the time and amoled is not.

Go to Phonearena or Displaymate for examples. The V20 in the display test for battery life at same nits as the Note 7 lasted a little over 7 hours and the Note 7 lasted a little over 14 hours (820 version). V20 had similar result as the V10.

The OS behavior is why iPhone lasts and even that is distorted: iPhone is pushing half the pixels and less active background tasks (the Note 7 has similar battery life in FHD). Nougat BTW behaves similar to iOS in that regard, but the V20 panel is a battery drainer. Keeping the brightness down though should help.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Right?! It's gotta be the best phone I've ever had. It's also the one I've held on to the longest. I'm hoping that the V20 will finally dethrone my trusty g3!

Using a note5 now, but my G3 served me very well also. Didn't have great battery life, but a very good phone

jimmy allen1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I could be wrong I've been wrong before but I haven't been this excited about any phone in a long time.
I do my YouTube videos mostly with my phone so the dual cameras on and the phone software seem ideal..... it looks like the perfect phone to me...... but will it be enough so I don't know what I'm more excited for this phone for the election to be over with so people will stop talking about IU t

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong I've been wrong before but I haven't been this excited about any phone in a long time.
I do my YouTube videos mostly with my phone so the dual cameras on and the phone software seem ideal..... it looks like the perfect phone to me...... but will it be enough so I don't know what I'm more excited for this phone for the election to be over with so people will stop talking about IU t

Great example for the V20 being a primary choice for media creation.