Carrier bloatware

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
What "usual T-Mobile crap" specifically?

On the V10, the only thing I remember was Lookout. Beyond that, it had VVM and Mobile Hotspot as T-Mo specific tools. And that was it.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
What bloat ware is there on the carriers V20 that's been released so far?

I have the T-Mobile model and I was able to uninstall some of the bloat, from T-Mobile and LG. I was also able to disable LG's calendar so that I could use Google Calendar instead, which was nice. Samsung doesn't let you disable their calendar.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile model and I was able to uninstall some of the bloat, from T-Mobile and LG. I was also able to disable LG's calendar so that I could use Google Calendar instead, which was nice. Samsung doesn't let you disable their calendar.

I don't understand.

* what "bloat" are you talking about? What T-Mobile "bloat"? What LG "bloat"? BTW, manufacturer skins and their tools aren't "bloat".

* Why would you have to "disable" LG's calendar (which I like better than Google's, btw) at all? Why not simply ignore it while you use another calendar?

On my V10, I chose Google launcher; no big deal. I didn't have to "disable" the LG stuff that I didn't want to use.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand.

* what "bloat" are you talking about? What T-Mobile "bloat"? What LG "bloat"? BTW, manufacturer skins and their tools aren't "bloat".

* Why would you have to "disable" LG's calendar (which I like better than Google's, btw) at all? Why not simply ignore it while you use another calendar?

On my V10, I chose Google launcher; no big deal. I didn't have to "disable" the LG stuff that I didn't want to use.

Why is any of this hard to understand?

Bloat is any pre-installed software that the consumer may not want to use. That includes all carrier branded apps and some OEM apps. Stock messengers, for example, are bloat if they cannot be removed. Why? Because if someone wants to use another messaging apps, leaving the other one installed bloats your phone. Pretty simple concept.

Why would someone want to disable a calendar app that they're not using? Because it's still running in the background. Pretty simple concept.

Why do carriers and phone manufacturers force software on these devices when most people aren't even going to use them? That's what I don't understand. It doesn't make sense that this stuff can't be uninstalled.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand.

*Bloat is somewhat in the eye of the beholder, but most pre-installed applications from carriers or the manufacturers are considered bloat, in general. Some people even consider many of the apps that Google preinstalls to be bloat. And you better believe that "Manufacturer skins and tools" can very much be bloat.

Here are some examples of bloat that came on my T-Mobile branded V20: T-Mobile SlingTV, T-Mobile Name ID, the T-Mobile app itself, LG Smart World, LG Quick Help, Quick Memo+, QSlide, Lookout. There may have been others that I was able to uninstall. Usually Bloatware can't be uninstalled, or even disabled. Samsung is notorious for that, but LG seems to be making it easier. Many people consider these apps to be bloat because you don't want to need them and they can take up system resources like storage space, RAM, battery power, etc.

*I disabled LG's calendar because I prefer using Google's instead. That makes it a duplicate app, and unlike other apps like web browsers or messengers, you can't set a default app for the calendar. I disable it so that I don't get duplicate notifications every time I have an appointment or event.

*Good for that you didn't disable anything and everything is perfect with the GN Launcher. I personally don't like that launcher and would never use it. Maybe next time you should be a little more open minded and less of a jerk.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Maybe next time you should be a little more open minded and less of a jerk.

I asked simple questions. I understand now that I am dealing with, shall we say, somewhat OCD people who don't like having their OCD revealed in public. They would rather the world simply accept their OCD as "normal" and never dispute it in any way with even innocent questions.

But forums like this are for asking such questions and trying to understand things. So, I'll just continue down my path. If you choose to interpret my asking "what do you mean" as my being a "jerk", I choose to accept that as your problem, not mine.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I asked simple questions. I understand now that I am dealing with, shall we say, somewhat OCD people who don't like having their OCD revealed in public. They would rather the world simply accept their OCD as "normal" and never dispute it in any way with even innocent questions.

But forums like this are for asking such questions and trying to understand things. So, I'll just continue down my path. If you choose to interpret my asking "what do you mean" as my being a "jerk", I choose to accept that as your problem, not mine.
I know, I know.... I get burned too. But the key to these forums is to ask questions as simple as you can. (And I know not everyone is the same). I usually say I need some help here...or I don't understand what "bloat" means. You can't ask a simple question and follow it up by "BTW manufacturer's skins aren't bloat"....that's a fact or statement for you but not for others....I used to say the same when I first started getting my phones....like why do people complain about manufacturer stuff and all. Until I got a 16 g Note 2....lol. I hate that T-Mobile TV Sling to death....lol. What is it anyway? See that is bloat to me. I just take it off so I won't see it but it still runs in the background, takes up space....for no reason to me. It's important to Tmobile and maybe others but not to me. So Bloat is considered anything on your phone that you don't use and can't really get rid off. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Come on guys yall really didn't have to call him a jerk for that....lol. And don't flame me either.
Ok, I am done with being the Behavioral police....lol.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand.

Using the calendar as an example.

Google's calendar is an application with it's own services and functions. Some of these need to run in the background, but the calendar syncing and service is a native feature of Android and doesn't need extra things running.

LG's calendar is also an app and has it's own services and functions. It also does more than Google's calendar (or does the same things differently) and not everything is done through the native account sync. These things are done through Google Play Services and LG services. These have to run on top of everything else, which can often (Samsung is notorious for this) keep the Android system service awake and working enough to affect the battery.

Android system (as shown on the battery information screen) is not a thing in itself but rather a group of tools that can handle the things an app like the LG calendar needs to properly function. These do nothing without other things using activating them and making them work. That makes it impossible to determine what might be eating your battery if you want to troubleshoot problems yourself.

Just the LG calendar isn't going to make much of a difference. But when you have multiple things from Google and multiple things from LG and multiple things from AT&T and multiple things you installed yourself fighting over the meager resources inside a phone, it can get ugly.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I hate AT&T's bloat. The "usage manager" is always running in the background and only Package Disabler Pro was able to disable it completely (app only for Samsung phones). This is the first time I'm using a carrier free unlocked edition. Updates are also faster too since they don't have to go through the carrier, and sometimes carriers remove the "data on/off" shortcut which is annoying as heck.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
You can't ask a simple question and follow it up by "BTW manufacturer's skins aren't bloat"....that's a fact or statement for you but not for others....

Where I was coming from with that was, why would you CHOOSE to buy an OS you don't like (LG with its skin, Samsung with its skin, etc.) if you can choose to buy an OS you do like?

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm surprised there isn't much bloatware on T-mobile LG V20. We do have the option to disable or uninstall if allowed.

So far this phone ran better than S7 Edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89