the great (or not so great) Canadian mystery of the V20

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I just talked to "my cellphone guy" at Wireless Etc. (Costco mobile), and he has not heard anything from the carriers about when it will be released in Canada. He knows that it is coming to Canada, but no insight at all about release dates.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Chatting with Wind on Facebook, they say you can purchase outright from them, and they charge $30 to unlock.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
In case anyone else, in a Canadian area not covered by Wind or Videotron, is thinking of purchasing the V20 from Wind to use on a different carrier:

- it will have to be an outright purchase from Wind (I'm guessing around $1000?)
- no protection plan, as that's only for Wind service customers
- their "away" rates are good ($0.05/MB), but you can't get a plan from them unless you live in a Wind area (you have to use your phone within their "home" area at least 50% of the time.)

So if you're OK with not having any extra protection plan on your $1000 phone (I'm not!), then an outright purchase from Wind is possible.

Maybe one option is an aftermarket "Squaretrade" plan: https://www.amazon.ca/SquareTrade-2...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5525906 -- but does that mean I'd need to purchase the phone from amazon.ca? I'm not sure.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is a fresh article from our good ol AC guys.
They are still tracking that it's just Videotron and Wind carrying it. Hopefully it gets updated with some good news soon!
Where to buy the LG V20 in Canada http://www.androidcentral.com/where-buy-lg-v20-canada

Just those two carriers? That is unfortunate, but at least this phone is coming to Canada... Hopefully it will come out for others carriers soon, as well.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The latest: I talked to someone at a Wind store in the Vancouver area (an expensive ferry ride away) and they won't have the phone for another week. I called the main Wind corporate folks, and they told me I couldn't buy the phone outright from the corporate office unless I was a Wind customer. So now if I want to buy the phone I'll need to wait at least a week, take a trip over to Vancouver (multiple hours plus $200 in ferry costs) to visit a Wind store. Ridiculous.

Update: After another phone call to a different Wind store, I was told that I would need to purchase at least one month of pay-as-you-go (around $25) to buy the phone outright. I'm going over to the Vancouver area tomorrow (for my granddaughter's 6th birthday party!), and will drop into a convenient Wind store to talk to them about this in person.

Another update: This from a commenter at Mobile Syrup:

"I can tell you - not sure why they're keeping this a secret. I bought the phone this morning. The store employees told me I would need to register the device on an LG website to obtain the offered free headphones. I've been messaging with Wind on Facebook all day and they're quite tired of me now. They won't sell more (for whatever reason) until they obtain the stock of headphones that were supposed to be given with the first purchasers"

So if you're Canadian, don't expect to be able to buy this phone in the next week.

Last edited:

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Lots of great discussion going on at The dual-screened LG V20 launches in Canada at Videotron and Wind Mobile | MobileSyrup.com including this comment ( The dual-screened LG V20 launches in Canada at Videotron and Wind Mobile | MobileSyrup.com ) about the Wind delay:

I have found out why they are not selling them.

I spoke with a rep at a Wind store who let me read the email he got from head office, and who bought a V20 himself.

The issue is a problem with the Wind SIM card not bringing the Wind software to the phone. His phone didn't show the SIM services app.

He said Wind won't be putting a bunch of bloat on the phone, but there will be a couple of branded apps, most important being the SIM services/self-service app.

The email he had didn't clarify everything, but our discussions did. It definitely is not a recall, and it definitely isn't a hardware issue.

It also has NOTHING to do with the headphones not being included. Maybe some stores didn't get the headphones, but that has nothing to do with a Canada-wide hold being put on sales of the phone.

He also mentioned something about Wind needing to coordinate something with Google. Something about them not registering the device with Google correctly, which is related to the branded-software issue.​