Which to choose from: LG V20 or S7 Edge

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I have the S7E until my v20 arrives on Wednesday. I can say it's a solid phone overall. Good battery life, great camera and smooth performance. Mine has some screen and reception issues. Was going to exchange but after my Note 7 experience and now this, I decided to take a break from Samsung while I have a chance.

Ilya Ivanov

May 11, 2013
Visit site
After having both of them I say V20, battery life is the same, audio (headphones) way better. V20 is smoother than the edge. It's almost stock Android.
My gripes with the V20 are that the screen on V20 is colder, I prefer warmer screens personally, and the external speaker is pretty weak. Lack of water proofing isn't something I need.

samcro

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey Hester. I can't speak about the LG, never had one. Many people are really excited for it though, so it must be decent enough. For me, I got a note 7 and loved it. Long story short, I ended up with an s7 edge. I was a little hesitant to grab a phone that had been out for so long already, and I wanted to wait and check out the pixel. I finally realized that it was the edge design that no other phone could duplicate that I longed for. Feels great in hand especially without a case. Also incredibly snappy, great camera, nice ui. Also waterproofing. I was stuck far away from my car at my son's little league game and got washed out by a severe thunderstorm for about 15 minutes. Tries to take cover under a tent but it was coming in sideways. Ruined my iPhone 6 plus. Waterproofing will be a requirement moving forward lol. Wireless fast charging, and compatibility with gear fit 2 that I recieved from a note 7 promotion helped make my decision as well. Gorgeous display. Curved screen is something you should take a look at before you decide. Zero bezel on the sides etc.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have both and I would choose the V20 over the S7e. They're both beautiful and fast but if I could only have one it'd be the V20.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
After having both of them I say V20, battery life is the same, audio (headphones) way better. V20 is smoother than the edge. It's almost stock Android.
My gripes with the V20 are that the screen on V20 is colder, I prefer warmer screens personally, and the external speaker is pretty weak. Lack of water proofing isn't something I need.

If you go into comfort mode setting and set to low, it takes care of the blue tint. I tested out today at AT&T.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I had the S7 Edge loaner before getting the V20. Honestly, I prefer the S7 Edge. I'm due a JUMP in November and plan on getting the S7 edge blue coral, hopefully they release it here soon. It comes out in Singapore November 5. If not, I'll just get the black. The V20 is 5.7 inches and the S7 Edge is 5.5 inches, but with the on screen navigation buttons, it's probably like a 5.4 inch phone. The S7 Edge is slimmer and feels better on the hand and I find it faster than the V20, better screen, waterproof, better OS. The only thing I like better on the V20 is the external speaker.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
V20 over the S7 Edge anytime....and I am a huge Note fan. Look at your criteria and what matters to u....Screen size matters to me, the bigger the better. Also after having a taste of the SD card again on the N7, I wasn't willing to give it up all over again. I will really miss the N7 screen, and I believe the S7E has the exact same one. In all the V20 does have alot to offer and gives you somewhat of a different experience. So it's gonna boil down to what you are willing to hold on to and what you are willing to give up.

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm ditching my s7edge for the v20. While overall I liked the phone, the bluetooth has never worked in my car. My car manufacturer says it's a known issue with newer Sammy phones, my carrier says it's a known issue but after months and months of back-and-forth with Samsung, they never could get it working.

Ironically, the phone before the edge was a G3. I really liked it and would still be using if it weren't for the Sim Card reader no longer functioning.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
V20 for sure. Try one out at a store and spend some time on it. V20 is a well thought out device, fast and the battery life is not bad like many made it out to be.

. The V20 finger print scanner blows away Samsung FP scanner, it's not picky, reads and opens in less than a second without having to perfectly place your finger. Just a few of many pluses over Samsung!

Why not grab a V20 for a few days and try it, return if you don't like it. You'll need a day and you'll probably be hooked.

Way out west

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Having had the V20 for a couple of days I must say, battery life is an issue even when using the battery saver. I can see I will have to have an extra charged battery with me at all times to make it through a day. The S7E lasted Until end of day. The camera is another issue. On V20 it seems to blow out the highlights while the S7E has some definition to them. I prefer the warmer tones of the S7E. Now, as far as feel, the V20 is super light and S7E more solid. The V20 is definitely faster and I like the audio since I use headphones frequently. I'm not sure I would keep it...waiting to test out the Pixel and make a final choice.

Ilya Ivanov

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Having had the V20 for a couple of days I must say, battery life is an issue even when using the battery saver. I can see I will have to have an extra charged battery with me at all times to make it through a day. The S7E lasted Until end of day. The camera is another issue. On V20 it seems to blow out the highlights while the S7E has some definition to them. I prefer the warmer tones of the S7E. Now, as far as feel, the V20 is super light and S7E more solid. The V20 is definitely faster and I like the audio since I use headphones frequently. I'm not sure I would keep it...waiting to test out the Pixel and make a final choice.
Pixels audio is formidable. I can hear the difference but barely. It comes to the sound stage and more clarity.

samcro

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm ditching my s7edge for the v20. While overall I liked the phone, the bluetooth has never worked in my car. My car manufacturer says it's a known issue with newer Sammy phones, my carrier says it's a known issue but after months and months of back-and-forth with Samsung, they never could get it working.

Ironically, the phone before the edge was a G3. I really liked it and would still be using if it weren't for the Sim Card reader no longer functioning.
Can I ask what car make and model?

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I have had them both and I don't think it is even close. V20 all the way, as long as you are able to physically wield it. The V20 is a monster device!

Once Samsung updates the 7edge with GRACEUI it will be closer, but as it stands today the V20 simply feels a full generation ahead of the 7edge.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the S7 Edge loaner before getting the V20. Honestly, I prefer the S7 Edge. I'm due a JUMP in November and plan on getting the S7 edge blue coral, hopefully they release it here soon. It comes out in Singapore November 5. If not, I'll just get the black. The V20 is 5.7 inches and the S7 Edge is 5.5 inches, but with the on screen navigation buttons, it's probably like a 5.4 inch phone. The S7 Edge is slimmer and feels better on the hand and I find it faster than the V20, better screen, waterproof, better OS. The only thing I like better on the V20 is the external speaker.

You can hide the nav bar with the LG settings. LG does a great job with this, unlike Google and LenoMoto. The 7E on the other hand is really a 5.2" display, since the other .3" is on the curve and distorted. No good for books, games, video or web.

I will take the flat display with LG nav bar hide options any day over the 7E, but personal choice :) Also prefer the V20 better signal reception, twice the storage, less fragile build and replaceable battery.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is driving me nuts trying to decide what to get or if my phone will burn up. Will Samsung brick the phone or will they offer people in the US something similar as in South Korea? I've narrowed my choices to the s7 edge, the LG V20 or buying a cheap note 4. I'll get the s7 if Samsung offers a deal for us to get the note 8 but so far nothing. As far as the V20 goes I want to see one in person first but nowhere has them on display. Best Buy are idiots and say they never heard of the phone and my Verizon corporate stores don't have any in stock or on display. Both the guys at Best Buy and Verizon tell me they wouldn't touch an LG with a ten foot pole. Another interesting thing is my Verizon corporate stores have also pulled all of their s7's off display. The only Samsung they have on display is the note 5, S6, and J3. When I asked why they said it was because of battery issues with the note 7 and S7. I could go back to my s6 but it gets crazy hot from just being on and nothing seems to fix that.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
That's weird that they pulled all of the newer Samsung phones from display.

I personally have never had any problems with LG phones, but people complain enough about them having problems that they must exist. I've always been a bit of a LG fan and I've owned every LG flagship since the Optimus G (the first G phone) and none of them had issues, so I guess I must be lucky. Or maybe I jump to newer phones too quickly before issues begin. Lol.

Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is that LG phones are awesome and get crapped on a lot, but I don't think it's deserved. I'm loving my V20 so far and it's an incredible phone. I like it much more than the Note 7 and S7e I had earlier this year.

This is driving me nuts trying to decide what to get or if my phone will burn up. Will Samsung brick the phone or will they offer people in the US something similar as in South Korea? I've narrowed my choices to the s7 edge, the LG V20 or buying a cheap note 4. I'll get the s7 if Samsung offers a deal for us to get the note 8 but so far nothing. As far as the V20 goes I want to see one in person first but nowhere has them on display. Best Buy are idiots and say they never heard of the phone and my Verizon corporate stores don't have any in stock or on display. Both the guys at Best Buy and Verizon tell me they wouldn't touch an LG with a ten foot pole. Another interesting thing is my Verizon corporate stores have also pulled all of their s7's off display. The only Samsung they have on display is the note 5, S6, and J3. When I asked why they said it was because of battery issues with the note 7 and S7. I could go back to my s6 but it gets crazy hot from just being on and nothing seems to fix that.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i literally switched from the S7 Edge to the V20 last night. The V20 seems gigantic compared to the S7 Edge, which is great, probably the best thing. My only real complaint is that I'm so used to the S7 Edge having the FPS on the front, that I now hate it being on the back of the V20.