V20 Owners Only: Has Your Camera Glass Shattered?

Has your V20 camera glass shattered?

• Total voters

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
NO. No problems here
I feel like this is a non issue

Well there is an issue. LG is aware of it. There must be something going on because people are having a hard time getting one. My store didn't get any yesterday and a few people on here couldn't find one either and some in here are saying it's a isolated issue but just think about this, Not everyone uses the forums so there may be more than we know and some like me don't come very often . When mine cracked (I pre-ordered and got mine on the 20th) I just happened to get on here and saw that I wasn't the only one and it's popping up on some internet news sites so I would say it is becoming a issue. It is a easy fix though but something they need to address regardless.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Well there is an issue. LG is aware of it. There must be something going on because people are having a hard time getting one. My store didn't get any yesterday and a few people on here couldn't find one either and some in here are saying it's a isolated issue but just think about this, Not everyone uses the forums so there may be more than we know and some like me don't come very often . When mine cracked (I pre-ordered and got mine on the 20th) I just happened to get on here and saw that I wasn't the only one and it's popping up on some internet news sites so I would say it is becoming a issue. It is a easy fix though but something they need to address regardless.

If it's an issue and LG knows about it why are they not giving you a new phone? You said you have to wait for corporate to give permission to have it repaired? I don't get why they won't just give you a new phone if it's a known issue

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

Also I think it depends on where you live. Here in metro Detroit there is no shortage at any Verizon store. They have plenty.

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
If it's an issue and LG knows about it why are they not giving you a new phone? You said you have to wait for corporate to give permission to have it repaired? I don't get why they won't just give you a new phone if it's a known issue

Store here says they are, but I suppose corporate has to approve it. You can't just do one without doing them all. It's not the camera lens ....its the camera lens cover. Camera still works but has a "halo"effect around the edges so that really is all that needs fixing and it's a lot cheaper for them so that's OK with me if that's all they do. Im tired of setting up phones anyway. 2 Note 7's to a V10 then to this V20 so I'm tired of going through the process.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Very few people that participate in this forum have reported this issue. I only recall one...possibly two and I believe that the plastic protector was removed and something hit up against the lens. As of now this is an overblown issue. The G5 also had this issue as do other phones but the numbers that break across the board are very small.

Look at the total people on the V20 forum ;) There is a fraction of the people compared to the Note 7 forum and none of those reported the burn issue. If just a few report it here, that would extrapolate to huge.

On top of that, this forum is a fraction of owners. LG needs to figure the issue out and communicate to customers. After the Note 7 event, carriers have zero tolerance for another issue. They could easily drop the V20, IF this issue grows and LG does not take responsibility of the cost. They might drop it even if LG covers the cost, so hopefully a fluke for first batch of devices.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Look at the total people on the V20 forum ;) There is a fraction of the people compared to the Note 7 forum and none of those reported the burn issue. If just a few report it here, that would extrapolate to huge.

On top of that, this forum is a fraction of owners. LG needs to figure the issue out and communicate to customers. After the Note 7 event, carriers have zero tolerance for another issue. They could easily drop the V20, IF this issue grows and LG does not take responsibility of the cost. They might drop it even if LG covers the cost, so hopefully a fluke for first batch of devices.

I don't know what to tell you what or how you should speculate. I know these lenses are fragile as I have experienced it first hand on the G5 and reported in the G5 section and here in V20 at least a month prior to release. I had dropped the G5 several times without breakage and then one day I noticed the lens was cracked and couldnt figure out why. This was after months of usage. Its been fine ever since and I dropped it after that on a marble floor hard enough to dislodge the LCD display but the camera lens was fine. The lens in the G5 is a tight fit inside the frame so I imagine the V20 is tight also. I have a feeling that some lenses may be slightly larger than others and could be the explanation for why some if them break as I don't think it impacts every phone. Not every G5 has this problem and its been out quite a while. Incidentally the other day I went to unplug my V20 from my desk and I got hung up as I pulled it from the power cord and the phone slipped out of my hand. The momentum was enough to make it sail about 4 feet and it banged into the bottom wall of work station before it landed on the floor......luckily no damage.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what to tell you what or how you should speculate. I know these lenses are fragile as I have experienced it first hand on the G5 and reported in the G5 section and here in V20 at least a month prior to release. I had dropped the G5 several times without breakage and then one day I noticed the lens was cracked and couldnt figure out why. This was after months of usage. Its been fine ever since and I dropped it after that on a marble floor hard enough to dislodge the LCD display but the camera lens was fine. The lens in the G5 is a tight fit inside the frame so I imagine the V20 is tight also. I have a feeling that some lenses may be slightly larger than others and could be the explanation for why some if them break as I don't think it impacts every phone. Not every G5 has this problem and its been out quite a while. Incidentally the other day I went to unplug my V20 from my desk and I got hung up as I pulled it from the power cord and the phone slipped out of my hand. The momentum was enough to make it sail about 4 feet and it banged into the bottom wall of work station before it landed on the floor......luckily no damage.

I am still getting a V20, but can't deny there appears to be an issue. The problem is carriers are very sensitive after the Note 7 debacle- an issue IMO blown out of proportion. All LG has to do is let their retail partners and consumers know they are covering cost of the camera glass. This should mitigate any potential carrier actions and sales impact.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
My understanding that it's the glass lens COVER not the lens. It's still not good, but it's not a camera issue per se.

A case with a protector like a uv lens filter should, theoretically, solve the problem.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My understanding that it's the glass lens COVER not the lens. It's still not good, but it's not a camera issue per se.

A case with a protector like a uv lens filter should, theoretically, solve the problem.

You are correct it is a glass cover, however a case doesn't always prevent the problem

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
They won't let order online?
Not since they did the order pushout. I am traveling next week, so would not work anyway. Hence canceled my order with BB and waiting for store stock. Even when ordered there was no store pickup option. This has been weird so far.

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
My wife's V20 is going back today not going to chance paying a deductible for a faulty lens

Here's my take on this, yes I raised hell, yes I talked to a LG rep. Regardless of their outcome it costs around 50 bucks to fix and I'm not going through another exchange. I've had enough of that. I'll pay the $$ to keep from going through that hassle again. I personally want to go back to Samsung, I really miss my Note. .....😢

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Is your camera glass cracking?

Anyone had issues with their rear camera glass? According to a source on the net some individuals have reported that the glass covering the camera is susceptible to cracking under minimal stress.

I think its probably isolated freak reports but just wondering if there are others out there in the AC community who've had this issue already.

The camera glass on the LG V20 is reportedly shattering under minimal stress | MobileSyrup.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34