with the fragile camera glass on the v20, anybody returning it?

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine shattered. They don't want to replace it. They MAY, repair it but I'm waiting on a approval from corporate. They are going to get a lot more once the phones hit the retail stores Friday. I am amazed of how many are actually doing this. I was completely shocked when I noticed what mine had done and I thought it was the plastic covering they use for protecting it during shipping and I tried to take it off and of course made it worse but I did take it to a repair place and they said it could be fixed but they don't have the parts yet and won't until after the phones launches but I feel it is a flaw in the design and would like to see LG admit they have an issue and either replace the phone or repair it. I just they make a decision soon before the camera itself sustains any damage and so far it only has some color distortion because the lens cover. I now have it covered with a piece of tape to keep the tiny pieces of glass intact until it can be replaced. It's sad though. The first thing they accused me of was that I dropped it. I am very protective of my phone and have had it in a case out of the box so now I'm stuck, they won't take it back damaged so if your having 2nd thoughts don't wait. I want my Note 7 back........ :(

You want your Note 7 back? With all its reports of easily shattered screens?

The Galaxy Note 7’s screen appears to break far too easily | BGR

The V20 has been out in South Korea for over a month, and hundreds of review models were here at that time as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Mine shattered. They don't want to replace it. They MAY, repair it but I'm waiting on a approval from corporate. They are going to get a lot more once the phones hit the retail stores Friday. I am amazed of how many are actually doing this. I was completely shocked when I noticed what mine had done and I thought it was the plastic covering they use for protecting it during shipping and I tried to take it off and of course made it worse but I did take it to a repair place and they said it could be fixed but they don't have the parts yet and won't until after the phones launches but I feel it is a flaw in the design and would like to see LG admit they have an issue and either replace the phone or repair it. I just they make a decision soon before the camera itself sustains any damage and so far it only has some color distortion because the lens cover. I now have it covered with a piece of tape to keep the tiny pieces of glass intact until it can be replaced. It's sad though. The first thing they accused me of was that I dropped it. I am very protective of my phone and have had it in a case out of the box so now I'm stuck, they won't take it back damaged so if your having 2nd thoughts don't wait. I want my Note 7 back........ :(

Refresh my memory on how your broke again.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
No. I'm not giving up my V20s. I love these things. They would have to get recalled Note 7 style and, so far, nothing warrants that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping my V20s and here's why:

They're awesome
They rock
They're awesome
They rock

...and that's in spite of the butt-ugly emojis.
I do wish manufacturers would let you choose which.. Because some definitely do have some ugly ones.

Wazzupp2016

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
OMG, caught myself pushing on the lens to remove the phone from my case my case.. too easy - that's an easy way to crack it! Removing my case from the bottom now.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
No. It complements my glass-walled home with the indoor rock throwing range.
Seriously, if there were an issue I'd expect it to fall out if anything.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I do wish manufacturers would let you choose which.. Because some definitely do have some ugly ones.
Okay, this is interesting. Sometimes I get these hideous emojis:
34d584f72fd1c593df6800f506853656.jpg

...and sometimes I get these beautiful ones:
9e724327467209b9e91230804f205b2e.jpg

Topic for another thread but the ones on the top are bad enough to make a camera lens break, so I won't be photoing them with my V20. ...see how I tied that in.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
This honestly scares me. Im afraid what might happen down the road when it's too late. I just the v20 2 days ago. I'm seriously considering if I should return it for something else but what is there? S7e is having issues, I'm on AT&T so no pixel. Iphone maybe? I'm so tired of phone issues. Is anyone planning on returning the v20? If so what are you getting to replace it?

Check out Jerry rigs video on this:

https://youtu.be/nBlUL-7Dl4U

I'm thinking of just going to a s7 edge. I'll get that extra $ of bill credit from Samsung.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How many threads are you going to post this in?

if it scares you get another phone. Jerry deliberately etched that lens with a sharp instrument and it cracked due to being stressed. Can this happen to this and other phones?
The answer is yes....just look on EBay at all the replacement lenses available for various phones. It happened to me on the G5... I replaced it for 7.99 and its been fine ever since. I owned the G5 since day 1 of presale and it cracked once.

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Not even in the slightest concerned. I have a good case, and while accidents can happen to anyone, I try to be pretty careful with 600 dollar plus phones.

The case should protect the camera glass from shattering if setting it down hard on a surface

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not even in the slightest concerned. I have a good case, and while accidents can happen to anyone, I try to be pretty careful with 600 dollar plus phones.

The case should protect the camera glass from shattering if setting it down hard on a surface
Well even though I'm not really concerned there are some concerns because when this happened to me on my other LG I had it cased and never dropped it and as far as I could tell it broke with no intervention on my part unless it got stressed in my pocket. The odd part is after I repaired it, I dropped a couple of weeks later hard enough to jar the display away from the case and didn't break the camera lens that time. Luckily I was able to pop the display back into place.
I did Express concerns originally before this phone was released that this could happen again on the v20 because the lens design is very similar to the G5 but then I stopped worrying about it and what the phone anyway and I'm not going to worry about it now. If it happens again I'll fix it myself not a big deal once the lenses are available.

Like I said while there are some concerns I don't think it pays to get all bent out of shape about it it certainly sucks if it happens to you but it's not major ordeal at this point as far as I can tell and I don't see any need for people to spread constant hysteria about this one it's only happened to a known few or at least a known few that I know about.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Okay, this is interesting. Sometimes I get these hideous emojis:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161028/34d584f72fd1c593df6800f506853656.jpg

...and sometimes I get these beautiful ones:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161028/9e724327467209b9e91230804f205b2e.jpg

Topic for another thread but the ones on the top are bad enough to make a camera lens break, so I won't be photoing them with my V20. ...see how I tied that in.

Haha I am def. different on which is beautiful and which is ugly :p.

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
It's amazing how the MIL grade build, 60,000 supposed tests LG performed prior to launch, and the multiple, multiple drop test videos on YouTube did nothing to harm the camera lens. However, making a tiny scratch on the lens from the same person who made a Part 2 Note7 scratch test video whose main purpose was to discount the first video and say 'my bad"- made the entire lens shatter. The first test showing the Note7s screen scratching at a level "3" was done in error. His second video (with new picks) showed it scratch between level 6 and 7 - like every other phone. If it would've scratched at that level in the first video, there wouldn't have been several 'I'm scared to use my Note7" threads on Android Central. Later on we did have MUCH bigger reasons to be scared to use our Notes though, haha.

These phones are expensive, but not indestructible. Have to be careful. I'm not going to purposely drop my phone onto concrete from a second story balcony, but I'm not going to be scared to use my phone either. If you're scared, return it, get out of the smartphone market and buy a flip phone.

Don't be skurred...

hou33guy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
We keep hearing stuff breaking one sided stories but not how it broke or the truth of it is my fault but i still wanna hold someone else responsible since it cause alot and i want a perfect phone and so on and so on. Put on ya big boy pants and keep trucking along

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo