LG V20 - Fingerprint Scanner Stopped Working......

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I had the plastic covering on the sensor, it worked great, 1st touch every time. Once I peeled it off, I constantly get the message the sensor is dirty and it won't work! I did manage to get it to recognize one print, but it can take several tries to get the screen to unlock, really frustrating. Should have left it with the cover on I guess.

The only time I had trouble with FPS was when I was out in the cold all and my hands dried up

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Before replacing the phone, maybe try this? Super cheap option, and the disassembly is easy as pie when you watch videos. If it doesn't work, you're out $13 is all. Better option before trying to replace phone

Attachments

• 13640.jpg
    13640.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 62

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Before replacing the phone, maybe try this? Super cheap option, and the disassembly is easy as pie when you watch videos. If it doesn't work, you're out $13 is all. Better option before trying to replace phone

Could void warranty

brawlman

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
See if it works any different in Safe Mode?
Push power button, push and hold power off to restart in safe mode (it will say "restart in safe mode")

william dockery

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I'vehad my phone lgv20 for about 4-5 months. Its worked perfectly until today when the finger print scanner stopped working. Even worse the option to add or remove finger prints is nowhere to be found in settings on the phone. Can anyone help?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'vehad my phone lgv20 for about 4-5 months. Its worked perfectly until today when the finger print scanner stopped working. Even worse the option to add or remove finger prints is nowhere to be found in settings on the phone. Can anyone help?

Are your finger tips excessively dry and hardened from cold weather?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm wondering if this would actually work? I have replaced screens on iPhones and have read with Samsung that you have to keep the original fingerprint scanner that came with the phone. If you install a different home button/fingerprint scanner, it will not work with the new phone. Maybe LG is different but I know this is the case for Samsung and Apple devices.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

If you can't even find the option to add fingerprints, I'm guessing that you might have disabled something that you shouldn't have? Look through your disabled apps and see if anything stands out. If that doesn't work, I'd try a factory reset.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you can't even find the option to add fingerprints, I'm guessing that you might have disabled something that you shouldn't have? Look through your disabled apps and see if anything stands out. If that doesn't work, I'd try a factory reset.

Just realized that they can't find it in settings. I believe this has come up but I don't recall what the fix was

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a question regarding using the fingerprint reader. I have my phone turned completely off while I'm at work. Even though I have turned off the option to require a password to unlock, after powering on the phone, it still gives me the "can't use fingerprint to unlock" message.

I can use the fingerprint reader just fine after I unlock with an actual password after startup. Is there something I am missing or overlooking in my settings, or is unlocking the phone after startup with my fingerprint not an option?

Thanks for any help/suggestions. I'm on at&t if it makes any difference.

Whenever you turn the phone off, you have to use your security unlock method (password or pattern) to unlock it. Then you can use FPM until the next time you shut off the device.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

The option is in Settings > Fingerprints & Security.

jgori

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Just had the fingerprint scanner stop working on my LG V20. Tried all the usual methods like turning off power, removing battery, etc.... Finally took it to AT&T and they hooked it up to one of their diagnostic machines which came back with a fail on some part of the phone. They are sending me a new unit under warranty. I had this phone exactly one month when this issue occurred. Hopefully it's not a widespread issue as I really like this phone!

CarShaK

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
Just had the fingerprint scanner stop working on my LG V20. Tried all the usual methods like turning off power, removing battery, etc.... Finally took it to AT&T and they hooked it up to one of their diagnostic machines which came back with a fail on some part of the phone. They are sending me a new unit under warranty. I had this phone exactly one month when this issue occurred. Hopefully it's not a widespread issue as I really like this phone!

That just happened to mine last night. Called LG and was informed its probbalyna hardware issue. This is already my 2nd warranty replacement as the original V20's earpiece went and you coule only hera people through the speaker phone.

Wonder Why

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Newbie herr,I had a litlle same problem with fingerprint scanner. It doesnt work every single time I swap battery. I had removed the plastic since I bought it on Nov 18th and I always touch it gently from the first time. But,it always happen when I turn it off for swapping the battery with the fresh one and make it on again,luckily I had already set the pattern code as the second security code. And it always happens every single time I swap the battery with the fresh one. Is it just like that or what?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Newbie herr,I had a litlle same problem with fingerprint scanner. It doesnt work every single time I swap battery. I had removed the plastic since I bought it on Nov 18th and I always touch it gently from the first time. But,it always happen when I turn it off for swapping the battery with the fresh one and make it on again,luckily I had already set the pattern code as the second security code. And it always happens every single time I swap the battery with the fresh one. Is it just like that or what?
If I'm understanding you correctly, the phone is behaving normally... the FPS doesn't work after a reboot, till you first login using your code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL