LG V20 technical hardware question re: DACs for phone functions

paulbike

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Like most of us, I'd like to be safe in the car and still be able to talk on the phone.

But, the poor quality of the speakerphone & mic in most devices makes it almost impossible to hear and be understood clearly. Even without the speakerphone, talking and hearing can be pretty bad.

Also, I use my phone (currently Note4) through the 3.5 jack with Tidal hi-fi streaming service for all my music in the car.

So, the LG V20 has great DACs -
1- are the DACs engaged to improve the quality of voice or are they only in the loop for music?
2- are they engaged when listening to Tidal in hi-fi in offline mode (not over the air) thru the 3.5mm output?

I've posted this in different places and called both Verizon and LG, but I can't get an answer. Thanks

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
As long as you're using a 3.5mm connection to the phone you have the option of using, and therefore, benefiting from, the quad DAC. Streaming or using locally stored files.

...unless I'm mistaken.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The DAC does not improve quality of the voice because the LG v20 already has high quality mics built into the phone so speakerphone voice quality is amazing....you can clearly hear the persons voice through the single speaker as well loud and clear...

I'm not sure how the DAC works with tidal since many people do not use that music service but the rest of the major music and radio services work pretty well with the dac...there are 3 acoustic overload point mics built into this device...the dac is only for music audio output and has nothing to do with speakerphone audio quality...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Like most of us, I'd like to be safe in the car and still be able to talk on the phone.

But, the poor quality of the speakerphone & mic in most devices makes it almost impossible to hear and be understood clearly. Even without the speakerphone, talking and hearing can be pretty bad.

Also, I use my phone (currently Note4) through the 3.5 jack with Tidal hi-fi streaming service for all my music in the car.

So, the LG V20 has great DACs -
1- are the DACs engaged to improve the quality of voice or are they only in the loop for music?
2- are they engaged when listening to Tidal in hi-fi in offline mode (not over the air) thru the 3.5mm output?

I've posted this in different places and called both Verizon and LG, but I can't get an answer. Thanks

DAC only comes into play for audio output.

It will make streaming audio sound better, however it is limited to the quality of the streaming you are utilizing.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
There have been a few sites that review the audio more detailed than other reviews and point out the DAC chips are mainly advantageous for higher bit rates and mp3 or similar bitrate content gets little if any benefit. That is unless you like "up scaling" lower bitrate content. Seems an oxymoron and artificial.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22