Fast charging

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
This phone has the slowest fast charging I've ever seen. Why? I'm using the LG V20 charger and the type C cable made by Samsung.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
This phone has the slowest fast charging I've ever seen. Why? I'm using the LG V20 charger and the type C cable made by Samsung.
I am doing the opposite as you at work. I am charging with a Samsung note 4 charger with the factory 4 foot LG cable I got with the V20. It definitely is a slower setup. I keep the original V20 charger at home and bought a 6 foot braided LG cable at AT&T. It seems to charge faster than my work setup. Neither are speed demons......

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Working on my 3rd charging cable, first 2 failed at the USB plug. (No, I'm normally not ham-fisted). The cables contain fine wires maybe your's have torn also?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the V20 and also had the G4. I'm thinking LG is just overly cautious about charging, because both exhibit the same charging patterns. Using Ampere on the V20, I get about 950mA at best with the screen on, but it quickly cuts that minimal amount in half if the phone even thinks about getting warm.

I also have the 3C Battery Widget, which records actual charging current even when the screen is off (unlike Ampere which only works when the app is active, or Gsam which records only the %/hr changed for the charge rate). With the screen off, charging jumps up to nearly a full 3A and truly charges pretty fast.

I'd like to see some others try this, both that say they are getting slow and fast charging. Try charging with your screen on and off and compare the charge rates between the two. I've tested the screen on/off theory many times and on multiple charging setups. Stock charger and cable, aftermarket chargers and cables, even standard, QC2.0, and QC3.0 charging connections. On both the V20 and my G4, the results are always slow charging with the screen on (yes, even with the "fast charging" indicator showing), and very fast charging with the screen off

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Does the type of charger matter? I'm using the lg one, and a few Samsung fast chargers I have from the note 7. But I need to buy more chargers and cables.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Using my LG chargers (for V10 & V20) and my Anker 3.0 chargers, I get fast charging.
If I use any older charger I still get "good" charging speeds.
I'm very happy with the new charging properties in the V series.

Lateck,

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the V20 and also had the G4. I'm thinking LG is just overly cautious about charging, because both exhibit the same charging patterns. Using Ampere on the V20, I get about 950mA at best with the screen on, but it quickly cuts that minimal amount in half if the phone even thinks about getting warm.

I also have the 3C Battery Widget, which records actual charging current even when the screen is off (unlike Ampere which only works when the app is active, or Gsam which records only the %/hr changed for the charge rate). With the screen off, charging jumps up to nearly a full 3A and truly charges pretty fast.

I'd like to see some others try this, both that say they are getting slow and fast charging. Try charging with your screen on and off and compare the charge rates between the two. I've tested the screen on/off theory many times and on multiple charging setups. Stock charger and cable, aftermarket chargers and cables, even standard, QC2.0, and QC3.0 charging connections. On both the V20 and my G4, the results are always slow charging with the screen on (yes, even with the "fast charging" indicator showing), and very fast charging with the screen off

Those ampere apps aren't accurate because they don't separate the charging rate from what's being used by apps

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Those ampere apps aren't accurate because they don't separate the charging rate from what's being used by apps
It may not be 100% accurate, but still correlates with my observations that:

A) The phone charges much quicker with the screen off, as also determined by the OEM stock charge meter. Even when sitting idle, the app use is only a few hundred mA, not enough to eat up that much of the charger output.

B) Other non-LG phones I've had didn't have nearly this much discrepancy of charge rates between having the screen on and off.

C) There's also still the very obvious throttling based on temperature. On my G4, it would charge 1040mA almost to the T when cool. At about 96°F, it would reduce to around 600mA. At about 100°F, it would drop to around 400mA. I'm seeing similar results on the V20, though I think it may only have 2 stages.

Monster77

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Working on my 3rd charging cable, first 2 failed at the USB plug. (No, I'm normally not ham-fisted). The cables contain fine wires maybe your's have torn also?

What problems were you having with your chargers? My phone and charger are about 1 week old and today i plugged my phone in and it starts going back and forward to charging and not charging...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084