Burn in...

Dhawk1202

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
This must be the first thread I've been on with a phone that has some sort of "always on display" of some kind and no one has asked about burn in. Well here we go. Does anyone worry about burn in on the second screen? I like to keep it on all night for time and notification purposes, but in the back of my mind, I worry.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Well i use my 2nd screen enough that i dont have to worry about burn in lol And while im Sleep its just a black background with the Clock.....not really worried too much about that

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that IPS LCD displays were highly unsusceptible to burn-in. Am I mistaken?

Yes...and no. It's a little bit different than OLEDs, which will start to show age since each pixel provides its own light source, and the different colors will degrade at different rates over time (the blue OLEDs will start to lose their brightness quickest)...

LCDs do suffer from image retention.... the pixels can't get back to their relaxed state if they were held in the same state for too long... the effect is usually temporary but can become permanent... I've seen phones with LCD displays that had permanent retention of stuff like the status bar icons, or a demo display phone, etc. Other than that... the backlight can start to degrade a bit, but you wouldn't really notice that as much since there is a common backlight. Any display, LCD or OLED, if it's showing the same thing all the time, will start to show some stuff at some point.

I wouldn't worry about IR on the second display though.... after all, that's the ONLY purpose that it serves. You won't be watching a youtube video on it or anything of the sort.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Burn in hasn't been much of a problem since 2010 on displays. Remember always having to worry about that on my early plasma TVs from long ago.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Burn in hasn't been much of a problem since 2010 on displays. Remember always having to worry about that on my early plasma TVs from long ago.

True, unless you own an AMOLED like the Samsung devices. It takes a while but they are susceptible. Many display S7edges have symptoms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret